What a tool!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s funny for him to say he’s upset about the whole deal. He’s the one that made the decision to call her on it. He’d to have to be an idiot to think it was not going to end up blowing up in his face.
i agree. nitty move but based on a lot of what gets said on here he wasn't out of line. some of the super nitty rule nazis will say he was right. i'll never agree with that. the shot was obvious as fk and the guy may be upset but he's still a nit.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I begin, I agree the shooter's intent was absolutely clear, and I would personally not have made this call in this situation. In friendlier games, I typically point out the rule to my opponent and ask them to be sure to call such shots in the future.

Regardless of my personal feelings, this is precisely why WSR and CSI explicitly define what is considered "not obvious":

Obvious Shot (AR p. 77, 85) A shot in which the non-shooting player has no doubt as to, or does not question, the ball and the pocket. A shot in which the cue ball has a clear path to the object ball and the object ball has a clear path to the pocket. The following types of shots are exceptions and are defined as being "not obvious": a. bank shots; b. kick shots c. combination shots; d. shots that include caroms, kisses or cushion contacts that are not incidental; e. any shot judged as not obvious by the referee.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I think he said it to her as far as I could tell. She didn't want to shake his hand which i can understand but she should have looked him straight in the eye and done it anyway. I am glad that was not my daughter of ole buddy would have had a meeting in the parking lot.
I know this makes me sound like a caveman, but exactly this. There is no reason for that guy or anyone like him to exist at all. Big lead, 100+ higher rated, playing a young girl and still wets his pants. The only worse call I've seen recently was when some POS called a foul after a runout because the player took the pocketed balls out of the pocket before the cue ball had stopped rolling.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I begin, I agree the shooter's intent was absolutely clear, and I would personally not have made this call in this situation. In friendlier games, I typically point out the rule to my opponent and ask them to be sure to call such shots in the future.

Regardless of my personal feelings, this is precisely why WSR and CSI explicitly define what is considered "not obvious":
I hear ya but this is exactly what i was talking about, the defense of nittiness. That shot was obvious as hell. If the game descends to this level of nittiness on a regular basis its in trouble imo. Stuff like this is why i haven't played a league match in 20yrs.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear ya but this is exactly what i was talking about, the defense of nittiness. That shot was obvious as hell. If the game descends to this level of nittiness on a regular basis its in trouble imo. Stuff like this is why i haven't played a league match in 20yrs.
I'm not disagreeing with you - I believe the call was in poor taste. Just because you are in the right does not mean you are right.

EDIT:
Just to clarify - when I said "you", I was referring to the person who made the call, not garczar. :)

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have always told teammates to call everything on that list so you dont give your opponent the option to either let you keep shooting or not.

A ref would have said she did not call the combo as the rule states you have to.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
i hope your tits falls off?
"I hope your tip falls off." (It was said to Hoang.)

Here's the full transcript from the end of the match, as Hoang walks towards Savannah with a smile to shake/fist bump:

Savannah: "Sorry, I only shake hands [indecipherable]..."

Man 1: "That's ok. You don't have to shake hands. I hope you lose every f*ckin match from here on out. I hope your tip falls off, too."

Woman 1: "I hope you lose for the rest of your life."

Man 1: "You're the worst, worst I've ever seen. The worst, absolute worst."

Woman 1 (pointing camera towards Hoang as he packs up his equipment): "Remember this face."

Since Hoang spoke earlier in the video with a strong Vietnamese accent, it's clear he didn't speak on camera at the end. Man 1 and Woman 1 had American accents, and imo sounded like what the parents of Savannah might sound like if they were upset and trying to protect her.

imo, whoever the man and woman were, they went a bit over the line there if it was in response to just the nitty call, which as others have pointed out was technically following the rules. Fine to be upset about it, but to dig into him like that in front of Savannah, then make sure it was all saved for posterity on her YouTube channel? I dunno.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
"I hope your tip falls off." (It was said to Hoang.)

Here's the full transcript from the end of the match, as Hoang walks towards Savannah with a smile to shake/fist bump:

Savannah: "Sorry, I only shake hands [indecipherable]..."

Man 1: "That's ok. You don't have to shake hands. I hope you lose every f*ckin match from here on out. I hope your tip falls off, too."

Woman 1: "I hope you lose for the rest of your life."

Man 1: "You're the worst, worst I've ever seen. The worst, absolute worst."

Woman 1 (pointing camera towards Hoang as he packs up his equipment): "Remember this face."

Since Hoang spoke earlier in the video with a strong Vietnamese accent, it's clear he didn't speak on camera at the end. Man 1 and Woman 1 had American accents, and imo sounded like what the parents of Savannah might sound like if they were upset and trying to protect her.
The man and woman heard speaking are her parents

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not disagreeing with you - I believe the call was in poor taste. Just because you are in the right does not mean you are right.

EDIT:
Just to clarify - when I said "you", I was referring to the person who made the call, not garczar. :)
i know. i was just venting. all good here bro.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The man and woman heard speaking are her parents
IMO, I’m sure they were quite upset, but out of line for them to say that to him, if they indeed were her parents, regardless of how I feel about what he did.

As it was caught on camera, they should have had more class than that. Perhaps they could have confidently told him a few minutes later, off camera, exactly how they felt.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always told teammates to call everything on that list so you dont give your opponent the option to either let you keep shooting or not.

A ref would have said she did not call the combo as the rule states you have to.
Better safe than sorry to be sure. I think of it as insurance against conflict.

rharm

Registered

I agree with you, the shot was very obvious and also agree that the rules state combos must be called. If a ref had been at the table, they would have called the foul. I find these type of situations interesting when a ref is not present, which rules do you feel should be enforced and which rules should not be and how do you determine that.