God Bless America

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July. Mike ... is this OK or kinda political? ;)

USA-Independence-Day_Wallpaper3.jpg

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Independence Day is truly a time to reflect on the gamble that the founding fathers took in declaring independence, the consequence of which could only be war and the loss of many lives. Most forget that the revolutionary war lasted many years, and that its official end came in 1783, after eight years of conflict. The debt to those that fought back then for the liberty and freedom so many enjoy today in America can never be repaid, but it is every American's duty to reflect on the fact that so, so many sacrificed to establish America. It is easy to focus on George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and Alexander Hamilton and forget just how many lay the foundation for a country that became a major force in the world. If we are to properly honor their legacy, we must strive to make America a better and better place.

Happy independence day to all!

Last edited:

Geosnookery

Thank heavens for America. We Canadians sure lucked out as to what superpower to share a border with. Major crisis in the last decade was a dispute over cheese quotas.

If any of us kids ever said anything negative about Americans my mom ( from London) would pull our ear and tells if it wasn’t for the Yanks we’d all be speaking German.

Geosnookery

Independence Day is truly a time to reflect on the gamble that the founding fathers took in declaring independence, the consequence of which could only be war and the loss of many lives. Many forget that the revolutionary war lasted many years, and that its official end came in 1783, after eight years of conflict. The debt to those that fought back then for the liberty and freedom so many enjoy today in America can never be repaid, but it is every American's duty to reflect on the fact that so, so many sacrificed to establish America. It is easy to focus on George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and Alexander Hamilton and forget just how many lay the foundation for a country that became a major force in the world. If we are to properly honor their legacy, we must strive to make America a better and better place.

Happy independence day to all!

The English lost a colony but in an ironic way that loss helped to continue the dominance of British civilization throughout the world. The power base shifted from London to Washington. The United States continues on what Elizabeth the first started in the 16th century. The USA was like a rebellious teen that rebels, struggled, eventual earns great success and then definitely was there for the British in two World Wars and the Cold War. Today it’s just a given that the two countries would be there for each other if a crisis threatened the existence of the other.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The English lost a colony but in an ironic way that loss helped to continue the dominance of British civilization throughout the world. The power base shifted from London to Washington. The United States continues on what Elizabeth the first started in the 16th century. The USA was like a rebellious teen that rebels, struggled, eventual earns great success and then definitely was there for the British in two World Wars and the Cold War. Today it’s just a given that the two countries would be there for each other if a crisis threatened the existence of the other.
Well said. The bond between England and the United States is a strong one and is likely to remain so.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I've been told right here that liberty is nonsense.

The message of liberty needs support from all Americans who still love it. Now.

Happy throw off a government Day,

Jeff Livingston

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
A little libertarian rap from Eric July, fellow anarcho-capitalist:

Jeff Livingston

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Jeff Livingston
That's your message for July 4?

Liberty, much like happiness, is an unattainable ideal. Even a very happy person has some things they are disappointed about, Even the person experiencing a great deal of liberty is not free from all constraints and never will be. That said, as the founding fathers of America noted in the Declaration of Independence, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are basic human rights which we must strive to bestow upon ourselves and all in our midst. Should we continue to strive toward the attainment of these ideals or should we declare such ideals as foolish and, consequently, give up our pursuit of them?

Whoever it was that told you that liberty is nonsense is unworthy of any of your attentions. It's an ideal to which we, as a nation, must all strive. Liberty is nonsense only to those who are nonsensical.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Yes, Stu, my message for July 4 is that liberty matters and that the reason this holiday exist it to celebrate the throwing off of tyranny from England's government. A big FY to the King!

Independence Day is about independence.

That someone today believes a society without liberty would somehow be better than one with it is a warning that we libertarians had better do our jobs NOW to preserve it. I know you guys here in the main forum think I'm nuts about this, but I'm not. I'm dedicated to an ideal and have been for over 40 years. An ideal that pool itself needs to survive, btw, that life itself needs to survive.

Liberty. It's your break.

Jeff Livingston

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Jeff Livingston

Not everyone agrees with your notion of practically no government.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Not everyone agrees with your notion of practically no government.

So? Those are the ones who made good targets during the war.

Did you ever ask yourself why someone would leave his good life and go shoot the Brits and get shot by the Brits? Is wasn't just cuz.

There are principles involved that require certain actions at certain times. That was one such time. There will be more, because of what your post says: Not everyone agrees with Chef Jeff's notion of practically no initiatory violence. Criminals initiate violence as their means. Is that good or bad in principle? It's bad so what kind of Person would not agree with my notion? There's only one kind.

Jeff Livingston

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Whatever floats your boat.

So? Those are the ones who made good targets during the war.

Did you ever ask yourself why someone would leave his good life and go shoot the Brits and get shot by the Brits? Is wasn't just cuz.

There are principles involved that require certain actions at certain times. That was one such time. There will be more, because of what your post says: Not everyone agrees with Chef Jeff's notion of practically no initiatory violence. Criminals initiate violence as their means. Is that good or bad in principle? It's bad so what kind of Person would not agree with my notion? There's only one kind.

Jeff Livingston

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
This thread was meant to reflect on how much things have developed and improved in the 245 years since America declared independence. It was uplifting and positive, and it is our annual practice to think about a great moment in our history and about those that made it happen.
Spoiler-ed for somewhat off topic, not trying to derail here.

To say God bless America requires you to ask yourself, does America's ideals line up with God's will? God isn't generally in the business of blessing things that are counter to his will or nature. If you think some aspects of America are counter to God's will, and believe in such, it's only natural to offer ideas on how to align the country to God's will. It's almost more of a philosophical debate rather than a religious or political one. It's kind of hard to discuss America in the current climate without some constructive criticism. I love my country and countrymen, but you can't be blind to the rot in the apple barrel.

Even if you're not someone who believes in God, by saying "God bless" you've opened yourself up to the idea that in order to be blessed you must become closer in line to what God desires. There are godly individuals just like in the times of Noah, but in general our nation has and "worships" a lot of ungodly things. I'm not attempting to pass judgement on anyone or whatever they do but if a person wants God to bless them, there's a much better chance to receive a blessing when living by the principals of who you're asking for the blessing. I love our country, the idea of it, deeply appreciate the sacrifices made to make and maintain it, but to truly expect a blessing there's a lot we need to fix. You gotta get out of bed in the morning if you want to accomplish anything that day. God can bless people and nations in spite of their behavior, but blessings generally come easier if you put forth some effort in faith. America needs repentance for some of the actions they've done. Even someone not believing in God understands repentance, it would go a long way in healing our great nation. God bless America in despite of our actions!