Earl

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2:06:30

Frustrated at slow play of his opponent. I fast forwarded through the parts where Engel was playing to watch Earl. To call that guy slow and deliberate would be an understatement.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall was called Slow Death, but I never had a problem watching him play. In fact it was a delight. Same for Varner who was called deliberate.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for him but he is extremely slow and deliberate. 2 hours and 15 minutes for a race to 9?
That’s too slow. race to 9 in hour 15 is slow. Add a hour it’s a joke and disrespectful.

Slow walking your man can be a winning tactic for some players-in some situations For example: I’ve done it playing someone who was all coked up bouncing in their seat back in the 80’s.

best,
Fatboy

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the point of posting the video and
complaining?
Jesse is an amateur vs Earl who plays 10 hrs/ day.
I started it at the point where Earl was running around the table frustrated at the slow play. I've never seen a player do that before. That guy got to Earl.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
2:06:30

Frustrated at slow play of his opponent. I fast forwarded through the parts where Engel was playing to watch Earl. To call that guy slow and deliberate would be an understatement.
I have no problem with the pace of play in that one game. Jesse was hooked three times and took a moment to figure out how he wanted to hit each shot. They were not simple kick shots either. And he made good hits on all three. Earl actually played good that game until he hooked hmself on the seven ball. Bad table speed there with a pretty large landing area available. Jesse took a break before shooting the seven with a billiard coming up on the eight-ten next. It looked like a pretty straightforward billiard, but Jesse is a lot closer to the table than we are. So I'll give him that.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problem with the pace of play in that one game. Jesse was hooked three times and took a moment to figure out how he wanted to hit each shot. They were not simple kick shots either. And he made good hits on all three. Earl actually played good that game until he hooked hmself on the seven ball. Bad table speed there with a pretty large landing area available. Jesse took a break before shooting the seven with a billiard coming up on the eight-ten next. It looked like a pretty straightforward billiard, but Jesse is a lot closer to the table than we are. So I'll give him that.
It wasn't that one game that frustrated Earl. If you watch the match he started one stroking kick shots at about the one hour mark. Over two hours for a race to nine. He was 15 stroking his break shot. I posted it because he got to Earl. Earl pulled up in the final game with the issue still in doubt. It was more than he could take.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Engel is a great player, but shoots way too slow.

Here is another match he played in which a shot clock was in dire need.

However, he made one of the best bank shots I've ever seen at the 1:13:50 mark

btal

Registered
Engel is a great player, but shoots way too slow.

Here is another match he played in which a shot clock was in dire need.

However, he made one of the best bank shots I've ever seen at the 1:13:50 mark

Have to agree on that bank shot.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It wasn't that one game that frustrated Earl. If you watch the match he started one stroking kick shots at about the one hour mark. Over two hours for a race to nine. He was 15 stroking his break shot. I posted it because he got to Earl. Earl pulled up in the final game with the issue still in doubt. It was more than he could take.
That speaks more about Earl than it does about Jesse.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this interview (at the 37 minute mark), Earl claims that slow play in the TTMD Virginia tournament set the schedule back by 6 hours. I know he's extreme in his way of expressing it, but he does have a point. Slow play is detrimental to pool- for the players, but even more so the spectators.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this interview (at the 37 minute mark), Earl claims that slow play in the TTMD Virginia tournament set the schedule back by 6 hours. I know he's extreme in his way of expressing it, but he does have a point. Slow play is detrimental to pool- for the players, but even more so the spectators.

Thanks for sharing the interview.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That speaks more about Earl than it does about Jesse.
If I had Earl in the Calcutta I would not have been happy about him unscrewing but that guy was slow. When Earl unscrewed was the guy ever going to shoot? If he stared at the billiard a little longer was it going to go?

In the interview he said his match was 6 hours late because of the slow play. World class players still playing at 4 am. Somebody should have stepped in with a shot clock before it got to that point unless the goal is to keep top players away so locals can win.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I had Earl in the Calcutta I would not have been happy about him unscrewing but that guy was slow. When Earl unscrewed was the guy ever going to shoot? If he stared at the billiard a little longer was it going to go?

In the interview he said his match was 6 hours late because of the slow play. World class players still playing at 4 am. Somebody should have stepped in with a shot clock before it got to that point unless the goal is to keep top players away so locals can win.
Bad scheduling. Nothing new.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad scheduling. Nothing new.
I like you but on this topic we disagree. I remember when Orcollo played Eberle in the 14.1 finals and Orcollo unscrewed due to Eberle's slow play. A lot of people were slamming Orcollo but I understood his frustration.

2 hours and 20 minutes into the match the score was 82-54 when Dennis unscrewed. It took Irving Crane 50 minutes to run 150.

In both cases the stall worked. Pool players should act like they have seen a pool table before and shoot the balls instead of agonizing over every shot.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe pool should go the route of chess- have each player carry around a timer- have it set to a 30 second per shot limit with one extension per rack

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Didn't care much for the match, the thing that got my attention was the camera angle. Seriously guys keep saying why pool isn't watchable or not in the Olympics or why we don't see much viewership. Look at the guys who created this stream, its better if they didn't create it at all! The camera zoomed at the table, we can't see the player expressions, or their faces. We just need more professionalism into the creation of these videos otherwise we'll get less and less viewership, this is unwatchable.