Which is best, forward balance or butt heavy cues??

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old equipment I think created a need for a slip stroke to get more on the rock. With modern fast equipment a pitty Pat deceleration stroke(think SVB) will get you all the sauce needed on Judy or Lucy (depending on your preference). I think that why styles have changed.

Pool speak post
Fatboy

If ya need a interpreter, ya ain’t paid ur dues. 😉
Bring back old-school.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old masters would have played fine with any cue. I’ve never seen it articulated why they thought balance point was so important. Mosconi thought it would “throw off your balance” if there was too much space between your bridge hand and grip hand.

dig your experiments, sam
I agree that a good player can/should play with anything
but I also think a lot of players have certain specs. that they like
anything to be comfortable/"balanced," right. and sure there are different ways to do that
tennis rackets are not just weighed as a whole, but are also evaluated by weight distribution
some players like their rackets head-heavy, some like more weight in the grip, etc.
generally, this is a "feel" thing, but that includes practical implications
for me, if I'm gripping the balance point on almost any cue, I can't use an open bridge well
unless I'm forcing the shaft down with my grip hand (which I don't like to do)
using a closed bridge in that situation is much easier, maybe why hoppe held it at the bp
I'm guessing mosconi meant 3-6 inches behind the bp
anyway
being tuned into such things may or may not be a revelation
but if we don't try, we'll never know

sean <<--pass the broom handle tho

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me
Rear balanced cue seem to help the cue stay on line
Jmho

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Neither will Make the balls go in for you easier.
Try both, see which is best for you.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anything to be comfortable/"balanced," right. and sure there are different ways to do that
tennis rackets are not just weighed as a whole, but are also evaluated by weight distribution
some players like their rackets head-heavy, some like more weight in the grip, etc.
for me, if I'm gripping the balance point on almost any cue, I can't use an open bridge well
using a closed bridge in that situation is much easier, maybe why hoppe held it at the bp
anyway

He forward part of my hand is about 3” down my wrap on most of my cues. That puts the forward part about 5-6” down from the balance point.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
With the tapers of cues built today, taking grip size and types of joints into account, it is nearly impossible to get a cue balanced as far back as fifteen inches from the butt, without the cue weighing 21 ounces or more. Therefore, at Meucci Originals, we strive for an obtainable sixteen and one half inches from the butt, plus or minus a half inch, depending on the overall weight of the cue.
Good luck with that one .
5/16 18 screw and a lot of weight at the bottom ?
Funny thing is the best balanced Meucci I've tested had steel collars.
Meucci is also infamous for adding weight by drilling the side of the handle and adding bolts in there.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
anyway

Thanks. I agree every player should experiment to find what they like best. The standard 58" inch cue isn't going to work for everyone. And maybe I can win a bet or two with my 12oz poplar trim cue.

Reverend Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 90 degree forearm rule and the modern stance with the chin low over the shaft seems to require the back hand to be farther back on the cue. It also results in the back hand being farther away from the balance point. Keeping the thought of gripping the cue slightly behind the balance point in mind, could this be the reason more player are using an extension full time? The weight of the extension should be moving the balance point further back, hence closer to the back hand.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The 90 degree forearm rule and the modern stance with the chin low over the shaft seems to require the back hand to be farther back on the cue. It also results in the back hand being farther away from the balance point. Keeping the thought of gripping the cue slightly behind the balance point in mind, could this be the reason more player are using an extension full time? The weight of the extension should be moving the balance point further back, hence closer to the back hand.

I think your theory is correct as no one likes their hand hanging off the butt. But a lightweight extension (as most are) actually moves the balance point forward.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great thread. Glad it is revived. I like a neutral to front balance, 18 to 19 ounce cue. I fine anything heavier feels more like bat and anything lighter feels like a straw.

I tend to notice others and how they play. I also listen alot. Things that seem very common around here are ..

1. People like me who choke up more on a cue like a more front balance cue. Usually shorter arm spans.

2. People with a long arm span who have to extend the distance the grip the cue to be comfortable like a more back balance to accommodate their arm length.

3. Weight preference is all over for all sorts of reasons. Some makes sense, some do not. One that i hear and seems reasonable is a heavier cue can build more momentum with the same power so weaker strokes can seem stronger.

Something i heard from someone, might have been here actually, is that butt heavy cues can cause more muscle fatigue when playing long term matches. There is more lifting needed on the back hand, so muscles are used more when stroking and when playing for hours it adds up. I dont play with a butt heavy cue so maybe someone who does could chime in on this one. Same with a heavier cue in general.