Straight pool break advice

Nyquil

I have started to play this game and my break is not consistent on the first rack I am typically putting a ball mid rack a few inches of to the side and punching the cue ball off that ball into the rack. It works about half the time. My pro cuts bobble the ball often. I have seen some people shoot an object ball into the side and the cue ball tracks down into the rack. I can get solid results with this but sometimes the cue ball doesn't track straight down or I dont set the object ball perfect.

Anyway sorry for a longer thread just looking for some advice. Watched some vids but these guys I am watching are really advanced players. I am no where near their skill level. This game is way harder than 8/9 ball imho. Expletives were abound this weekend trying to sort this out.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lay off the NyQuil before you play.

Nyquil is a common over-the-counter medication. It's formulated to treat nighttime cold and flu symptoms. In addition to helping alleviate a fever, stuffy nose, and cough, Nyquil can also cause drowsiness. As a result, it may help with sleep

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinner the better, Shooting shots that are blind and thin take practice to trust, you don't need to hit it as hard as you think, keep the expletives flowing, the game only gets harder.
<< I'm far from an expert on the subject.

Nyquil

Lay off the NyQuil before you play.

Nyquil is a common over-the-counter medication. It's formulated to treat nighttime cold and flu symptoms. In addition to helping alleviate a fever, stuffy nose, and cough, Nyquil can also cause drowsiness. As a result, it may help with sleep
Lol, thanks for the advice. I am a night owl that's where the name comes from.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Be patient. Break shots are one of the hardest parts of straight pool. You have to make a difficult shot, often with speed, while giving attention to how the cue ball will strike the rack and what type of spin (top or bottom) you need to escape the side of the pack. It takes a lot of practice and experience to develop this skill.

Word of caution: If you are playing on a diamond table I'd watch new age players on YouTube. Straight pool has changed as equipment has changed. I love George Fel's book Mastering Pool, and Mike Sigel has a video on how to run 100 balls. But a lot of the advice they give doesn't work for me on my diamond. Namely I don't use follow when I'm thinner on the ball anymore, I almost always draw the ball. And I don't finesse the break trying to ease open 5-7 balls, I am now ripping it pretty firm closer to an open break shot. This is what Thorsten and Jason do and it seems better for me as my balls don't open up as easily.

So study and practice and it won't get perfect but it will get manageable.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Recall Grady Mathers did a U-Tube were he shoe most effective break.

So opponent has little to shoot at.

Good info.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have started to play this game and my break is not consistent on the first rack I am typically putting a ball mid rack a few inches of to the side and punching the cue ball off that ball into the rack. It works about half the time. My pro cuts bobble the ball often. I have seen some people shoot an object ball into the side and the cue ball tracks down into the rack. I can get solid results with this but sometimes the cue ball doesn't track straight down or I dont set the object ball perfect.

Anyway sorry for a longer thread just looking for some advice. Watched some vids but these guys I am watching are really advanced players. I am no where near their skill level. This game is way harder than 8/9 ball imho. Expletives were abound this weekend trying to sort this out.
Are you asking for advice as to the best break shot to begin full rack 14.1 practice sessions? if so, for an amateur playing on pro cut pockets, I recommend that you set an object ball lined up with either side pocket and also lined up with the middle of the first two balls in the rack. Position your cue ball about six inches above your break ball an about three inches toward the opposite side pocket from where you intend to pocket the break ball. Strike the OB with a nice full stroke and follow through with just a touch of draw- with pro cut pockets you should easily make the opening break shot and the CB should break out a good number of balls and stay above the rack for next shot opportunities. Strive to hit only one of the two head balls of the rack fairly square.

My own opinion- an amateur without strong, strong stroking fundaments will go crazy trying to play 14.1 on pro cut pockets and fast cloth/fast rebound cushions. The Europeans like Fortunski, Filler, etc. who can compete at 14.1 on Diamond pro cuts have strokes and shot making ability miles and miles beyond even an average good player. Watch the 2021 American 14.1 match between Filler and Fortunski- the stroke and shot execution that was demonstrated in that match is a great example of what is required to consistently maneuver through 14.1 racks on Diamond pro- cuts.

If you are not a 600 or more true Fargo rated player, and you really want to enjoy 14.1- running say 25 to 40 balls fairly often, save yourself some grief and open up those pockets to 4 3/4 minimum, maybe better at 4 7/8. Just my own two cents from lots of experience.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Mastering Pool" by George Fels
"Mastering Pool" by George Fels
A very good book, but, no book is going to resolve issues stated such as "bobbling the ball often on 4 1/2 pockets" To correct that you either have to devote many hours a day to proper practice or, especially for 14.1- or get off Diamond pro cut tables to actually enjoy that game.

For most who don't have the time or inclination to spend many hours each day practicing- larger pockets will bring that enjoyment of 14.1 much sooner. You can focus more on speed control and ball selection as the shots themselves will be much less demanding of your focus energy

This is exactly why the recent high run attempts are NOT attempted on Diamond pro cuts- and then think of someone not even in the same stratosphere as Shaw or Schmidt trying to learn and play 14.1 on Diamond pro cuts - not a good choice, IMO.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea, I saw some vids of people placing the ball a bit lower next to the rack. I get mixed results
Hitting dead into what would be the middle ball in the rack usually sticks the ball right there. At the very least those have to bit hit an order harder than corner biased break shots.

Nyquil

Are you asking for advice as to the best break shot to begin full rack 14.1 practice sessions? if so, for an amateur playing on pro cut pockets, I recommend that you set an object ball lined up with either side pocket and also lined up with the middle of the first two balls in the rack. Position your cue ball about six inches above your break ball an about three inches toward the opposite side pocket from where you intend to pocket the break ball. Strike the OB with a nice full stroke and follow through with just a touch of draw- with pro cut pockets you should easily make the opening break shot and the CB should break out a good number of balls and stay above the rack for next shot opportunities. Strive to hit only one of the two head balls of the rack fairly square.

My own opinion- an amateur without strong, strong stroking fundaments will go crazy trying to play 14.1 on pro cut pockets and fast cloth/fast rebound cushions. The Europeans like Fortunski, Filler, etc. who can compete at 14.1 on Diamond pro cuts have strokes and shot making ability miles and miles beyond even an average good player. Watch the 2021 American 14.1 match between Filler and Fortunski- the stroke and shot execution that was demonstrated in that match is a great example of what is required to consistently maneuver through 14.1 racks on Diamond pro- cuts.

If you are not a 600 or more true Fargo rated player, and you really want to enjoy 14.1- running say 25 to 40 balls fairly often, save yourself some grief and open up those pockets to 4 3/4 minimum, maybe better at 4 7/8. Just my own two cents from lots of experience.
Yea, pro cuts are definitely a challenge. I will say I love the ball return for straight pool. I feel like that's really what return tables were built for. I'll just keep at it and check some of the vids in the post. I mostly play 8 ball these days. It's a fun game to mix up for sure but I would say it's the most challenging out of 8/9/10 ball.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler has run over 200 on a pro Cut Diamond -I don't know if many pros have done 300+ on a pro cut Diamond- I would be surprised.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grain of salt here but man it's just competence. Ever seen those Chinese acrobats 20 ft in the air one handed on a one legged chair on a tea cup?

Pro cut schmo cut. If the requirement were snooker pockets, they'd learn.

Nyquil

Grain of salt here but man it's just competence. Ever seen those Chinese acrobats 20 ft in the air one handed on a one legged chair on a tea cup?

Pro cut schmo cut. If the requirement were snooker pockets, they'd learn.
Those individuals are on the top end of the bell curve for their skill set. Sure it can be done but if all I played is straight pool I would want 4.75 to 5-inch pockets.