What to put on the ferrule end of the shaft to prevent chalk from sticking into the wood?

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What to put on the ferrule end of the shaft to prevent chalk from sticking into the wood?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds a bit cocky, but I can often tell what level a player is at (to a certain extent) just by watching how they chalk.
Lean your cue a bit over to the side when chalking and "paint" the chalk on in a nice gentle motion. Don't use chalk with a deep hole in it. As for the shaft, don't use any sandpaper on it unless you really, really need to. Whipe the shaft clean with a microfiber cloth after playing. When having a new tip put on, ask for a deep cleaning of the shaft at the same time, that will go a long way in keeping your shaft clean.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chalk gets on your hand or glove from the table cloth and will get on your shaft. Nothing totally stops that from happening. Proper chalking methods already mentioned will help with the ferrule.

slim123

Some people continually sand on their shaft, which changes everything. Also, if you wipe the chalk from your tip before inserting it into your case you will greatly reduce the chalk on the shaft in the future

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
Also, always wipe the chalk off your tip/ferrule before putting it into your case with a cloth or napkin or something. You'd be surprised how much that will help with keeping the whole shaft cleaner. Especially if you insert the shaft tip first.

DeeDeeCues

Chalk gets on your hand or glove from the table cloth and will get on your shaft. Nothing totally stops that from happening. Proper chalking methods already mentioned will help with the ferrule.

The places my bridge hands touch the table don't touch my shaft.

Plus, clean your hands often and you won't have much transfer.

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
Some people continually sand on their shaft, which changes everything. Also, if you wipe the chalk from your tip before inserting it into your case you will greatly reduce the chalk on the shaft in the future
Sorry Slim, didn't even see your response.... I opened and started a reply then got sidetracked for a couple hours before I got back to post it and your post wasn't on the page yet. oops...

Anyway, spot on! I can always tell who wipes their tip and who doesn't when I'm replacing tips! ;) (I can also tell when that customer is a chalk "driller" as well.)

Last edited:

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont grind your chalk. And use a fresh piece. That said .....It's inevitable your gonna get chalk on everything. Specially if u play out and use masters or triangle chalk ..and the table your playing on is already dirty. U can wax your ferrule to keep chalk from sticking aittle bit.
If u don't like blue ferrule use "great white" chalk. I prefer fresh blue master chalk but if u can't stand blue use the great white chalk. I have some and it does ok. Also ferrule material makes a big difference. Ivory won't stain.... and I have a few shafts with ferrules made from a cue ball. They don't either.

Last edited:

slim123

Sorry Slim, didn't even see your response.... I opened and started a reply then got sidetracked for a couple hours before I got back to post it and your post wasn't on the page yet. oops...

Anyway, spot on! I can always tell who wipes their tip and who doesn't when I'm replacing tips! ;) (I can also tell when that customer is a chalk "driller" as well.)
Then you get those that say the cue repair guy scratched their cheap ferrule and all along it was the chalk cutting the chinese plastic that was used

Mike Rys

Blind Owl
Clean your hands before playing. Proper chalking with YOUR OWN chalk no more than 1/2 gone as already mentioned. Never share your chalk, a lot of players don't know how to chalk. NEVER lay your cue on the table. Many public tables are saturated in chalk. Wearing a glove will help. When you are finished playing, wipe the chalk from your tip and wipe off the cue before putting your cue back in your case. If you don't wipe off the tip, the chalk will eventually line the inside of the case and you will be storing your shaft in chalk.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Sounds a bit cocky, but I can often tell what level a player is at (to a certain extent) just by watching how they chalk.
Lean your cue a bit over to the side when chalking and "paint" the chalk on in a nice gentle motion. Don't use chalk with a deep hole in it. As for the shaft, don't use any sandpaper on it unless you really, really need to. Whipe the shaft clean with a microfiber cloth after playing. When having a new tip put on, ask for a deep cleaning of the shaft at the same time, that will go a long way in keeping your shaft clean.
This guy would like to play for a couple of bucks.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Efren.JPG