Archer and Oscar talk it out live today at 3:00 CST

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Oscar's businesses have made him a millionaire, and it's doubtful he needs the money, but he still deserves to get what he is owed.

His demeanor looked like he regretted participating in the podcast.

Mike Ortiz and Dominick Dunn will keep the drama going so they can continue to exploit it for social media likes.

I'm keeping it going because Johnny thinks he can go back to playing without being an adult

If this set of behaviors happened outside of pool, people would call for his head.

Inside of pool, people think talking about a scammer is taboo.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
OD has played in numerous big $ matches in recent years and according to him, this is how they do it these days. I’m sure it is based on the player’s and possibly even more importantly the backer’s reputation. The fact that JA apparently had none of his own $ on the line should have been a big warning signal to OD that JA was financially struggling.

The way they now promote these big $ matchups on the internet is quite deceiving. They may claim for example it is for $50K, but that’s $25K for each player and the $50K total is most likely the result of up to possibly 10 or more different backers for each player. There’s no telling how much of each player’s own $, if any, is actually bet on the match.

A warning sign?

Johnny HAD THE BACKERS' MONEY IN HIS HANDS AND STOLE IT

Get off that "warning sign" nonsense

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A warning sign?

Johnny HAD THE BACKERS' MONEY IN HIS HANDS AND STOLE IT

Get off that "warning sign" nonsense
My point was that he had absolutely none of his own $ bet on the match because apparently he didn’t have any to put up. Not a warning sign regarding the backer’s ability to pay but for JA himself - that he was that desperate.

It’s like when you’re playing a player you don’t know $100/game and beating their brains out, paying up after each game, and then they ask you to change up to $50/game. At that point, if you can’t figure out they are down to their last $50 and you should quit, you’re a fool.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
My point was that he put absolutely none of his own $ because apparently he didn’t have any to put up. Not a warning sign regarding the backer’s ability to pay but for JA himself - that he was that desperate.

It’s like when you’re playing a player you don’t know $100/game and beating their brains out, paying up after each game, and then they ask you to change up to $50/game. At that point you should know they are down to their last $50, so if you don’t quit at that point, you’re a fool.
Nice post

dendweller

My point was that he had absolutely none of his own $ bet on the match because apparently he didn’t have any to put up. Not a warning sign regarding the backer’s ability to pay but for JA himself - that he was that desperate.

Oscar did mention that he wanted the match to happen for Mark Griffens sake because he had done a lot for Oscar over the years. So he may have been more open to taking a chance on Johnny's 10 backers that he had rounded up back east.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm 42 minutes in and I'm tearing up just a little watching Johnny cry about his children.

But what really strikes me is how intelligent, articulate and level headed Oscar is. It's really impressive.
Hopefully these two are able to square this situation. Seems like they both probably still wish the best for the other. Oscar impressed me with his demeanor as well.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He's been on the team and didn't do much iirc. He can't beat that Wolford kid. Might beat Styer but it would be close.
Are you talking about in a $ matchup or tournament play?
Oscar is a more seasoned player and was on the 2009 winning USA team.
They didn’t win again until 2018.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
because apparently he didn’t have any to put up.
Should be a caution sign for any young talented players considering pool as a career. Find another profession and play as a good hobbyist.
I remember Cole telling me that he started playing pool because he enjoyed it. Once it became his career it became work and depending on it for support was no longer fun.

shooter_Hans

Make no mistake when I say I want to pick his brain about pool for an hour versus he’s a good dude. His accent and charm cannot be trusted or whatever charmed he had as a young version of himself. He’s now a defeated man. Any charm or smooth talk is desperation unfortunately.

Pool has got soft lol. Imagine if this was the 70’s or even 80’s.

Reactions: fjk

shooter_Hans

Should be a caution sign for any young talented players considering pool as a career. Find another profession and play as a good hobbyist.
I remember Cole telling me that he started playing pool because he enjoyed it. Once it became his career it became work and depending on it for support was no longer fun.
Yes.

I tell youngsters to find time around their school work to practice. Not the other way around.

Carry a school bag and not a cue case.

There is a time to play and that’s when you’re making the big bucks. Perhaps a table at home, a pocket full of cash to gamble, showing off that new custom cue and living the good life.

Those youngsters with pool aspirations? Well some are late bloomers to life so they end up giving up the game and playing catch up financially.

Last edited: