Archer and Oscar talk it out live today at 3:00 CST

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I'm 42 minutes in and I'm tearing up just a little watching Johnny cry about his children.

But what really strikes me is how intelligent, articulate and level headed Oscar is. It's really impressive.

shooter_Hans

I'm 42 minutes in and I'm tearing up just a little watching Johnny cry about his children.

But what really strikes me is how intelligent, articulate and level headed Oscar is. It's really impressive.
Yea he cried for 10 seconds and then it went away and he was ok.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I forgot he was the Scorpion at one time. ROFL

It actually stuck. What happened?
Back then I was naive and thought "if I buy the cue of my favorite player maybe I will play like them". I had just got bitten by the pool bug and did not know much but watched a shit ton of Johnny Archer matches, as well as Earl. Archer was the best American at that time so I'm like Scorpion it is...

Funny enough, Predator (or any other brand) seems to have perfected the art of turning this amateur way of thinking into profit. Obviously I know better now, but I still see a lot of players buying a cue or shaft because "xyz player" uses it, even with all the free and accessible information we have to prove it's the Indian not the arrow.

shooter_Hans

Back then I was naive and thought "if I buy the cue of my favorite player maybe I will play like them". I had just got bitten by the pool bug and did not know much but watched a shit ton of Johnny Archer matches, as well as Earl. Archer was the best American at that time so I'm like Scorpion it is...

Funny enough, Predator (or any other brand) seems to have perfected the art of turning this amateur way of thinking into profit. Obviously I know better now, but I still see a lot of players buying a cue or shaft because "xyz player" uses it, even with all the free and accessible information we have to prove it's the Indian not the arrow.
I was fortunate enough to see a custom cue on display at my local pool hall decades ago.

My first ever cue was a Norwela by Jim Griffin. Won some money with that thing.

I hope it is doing well whoever has it. LOL

I wonder if Mr. Jim Griffin still makes cues.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question, They keep mentioning NBC. What are they talking about? Thanks
MBC - Marietta Billiard Club outside Atlanta, which Johnny and Kim Davenport acquired and owned for a number of years. It was an awesome pool room before they took over, then it gradually declined, in my opinion as a result of poor management.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

I have Earl Stricklands Mobley cue as my daily player, bought it because it was a Mobley(with 6 shafts) and it was a bonus that it was Earl's cue.

Has Earl Strickland inlaid in Pearl in one of the points.

The Shafts have the same taper all the way to about 5 inches from the joint which I love! Some of my older cues I had the "pro taper" extended also, so when this came up for sale I jumped on it. It had a warp so I had it sent straight to Mobley and he put a new handle and wrap on it(Earl had the tennis racket tape on it lol) t

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have Earl Stricklands Mobley cue as my daily player, bought it because it was a Mobley(with 6 shafts) and it was a bonus that it was Earl's cue.

Has Earl Strickland inlaid in Pearl in one of the points.

The Shafts have the same taper all the way to about 5 inches from the joint which I love! Some of my older cues I had the "pro taper" extended also, so when this came up for sale I jumped on it. It had a warp so I had it sent straight to Mobley and he put a new handle and wrap on it(Earl had the tennis racket tape on it lol) t
Wow that's a long pro taper. What tip diameter? Are they whippy at all? Would love to see pics.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Wow that's a long pro taper. What tip diameter? Are they whippy at all? Would love to see pics.
Smaller than 13 for sure, I've never measured, it just feels right :)

Definitely not "stiff" lol. I like changing stiffness of shafts from time to time. I have a Showman and a Searing I play with occasionally(they're actually both in Florida right now) but I've barely played in the last couple years.

If we're in the same area I'll let you hit balls with it. I travel quite a bit.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With that kind of money on the line, why wasn't it posted?
OD has played in numerous big $ matches in recent years and according to him, this is how they do it these days. I’m sure it is based on the player’s and possibly even more importantly the backer’s reputation. The fact that JA apparently had none of his own $ on the line should have been a big warning signal to OD that JA was financially struggling.

The way they now promote these big $ matchups on the internet is quite deceiving. They may claim for example it is for $50K, but that’s $25K for each player and the $50K total is most likely the result of up to possibly 10 or more different backers for each player. There’s no telling how much of each player’s own $, if any, is actually bet on the match.

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

OD has played in numerous big $ matches in recent years and according to him, this is how they do it these days. I’m sure it is based on the player’s and possibly even more importantly the backer’s reputation. The fact that JA apparently had none of his own $ on the line should have been a big warning signal to OD that JA was financially struggling.

The way they now promote these big $ matchups on the internet is quite deceiving. They may claim for example it is for $50K, but that’s $25K for each player and the $50K total is most likely the result of up to possibly 10 or more different backers for each player. There’s no telling how much of each player’s own $, if any, is actually bet on the match.
Deceiving is a tactical strategy. Lol

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
This situation alone proves there is no such guido.

Archer is alive and well (relatively speaking) parading around on YouTube and the country.

LOL

I am still alive which proves there have been no mass shootings in the US.

Hu

wilichichi

Registered
I didn't watch the whole video, but can someone explain why OD was bringing up Josh Arieh? Is Arieh a backer of his? not taking sides or questioning OD, just curious is all.