Dr. Dave's first YouTube Short

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Dave, I don't watch too many YT Shorts. but of those that got me curious enough, they are really short clips. I would say yours, which fit just under a minute, are very long compared to those.
To me, the idea behind Shorts is pure entertainment, and hardly any kind of education. I suggest that if you want to creat Shorts also, in addition to your "common" insightful videos, you could record a couple of shots only. Those shots that would make viewers to get really interested, so that they proceed to watch a "real thing".

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, I don't watch too many YT Shorts. but of those that got me curious enough, they are really short clips. I would say yours, which fit just under a minute, are very long compared to those.
To me, the idea behind Shorts is pure entertainment, and hardly any kind of education. I suggest that if you want to creat Shorts also, in addition to your "common" insightful videos, you could record a couple of shots only. Those shots that would make viewers to get really interested, so that they proceed to watch a "real thing".

Thanks for the input. Honestly, I find it funny that people think my "shorts" are too "long." :geek:

I have been posting many more the last few days. Please let me know (you or others) the ones you like, and the ones you don't. And for the ones you like, do you still think they are too long?

Thanks again (to you and others who provide input).

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I have been posting many more the last few days. Please let me know (you or others) the ones you like, and the ones you don't. And for the ones you like, do you still think they are too long?
I sure will, and provide you more feedback.
So far, I suggest you do the following. Scroll YouTube home page down to recommended (which usually equals to most watched or trending) Shorts clips. Pick some with millions of views, and see how long they are. I think some kind of average in seconds could be pretty telling.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sure will, and provide you more feedback.

Thank you.

So far, I suggest you do the following. Scroll YouTube home page down to recommended (which usually equals to most watched or trending) Shorts clips. Pick some with millions of views, and see how long they are. I think some kind of average in seconds could be pretty telling.

The lengths seem to vary quite a bit, but I get your message. For many viewers, shorter is better.

Cue Stick

Very important point, although I think you failed to explain exactly why it is so important. Sure, it's easier to visualize the shot standing up. But also the fact that your last stroke tends to line up with your body means that if you don't get your body positioned properly before getting down on the ball, you are asking for trouble.

Cue Stick

Suggestions:

1. Mix your content so that some of the shorts are designed to help beginners, and others cover more advanced aspects of the game.
2. Include a lot of drills that players can practice to improve their shot making and cue ball control.
3. Expose players to different games like straight pool, 3-cushion billiards, one pocket, banks, 3-ball, etc.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Suggestions:

1. Mix your content so that some of the shorts are designed to help beginners, and others cover more advanced aspects of the game.
2. Include a lot of drills that players can practice to improve their shot making and cue ball control.
3. Expose players to different games like straight pool, 3-cushion billiards, one pocket, banks, 3-ball, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I’m not sure many viewers would care about 3, but 1 and 2 sound good.

kanzzo

hobby player
You need like 1,000,000 views to earn 50 bucks and you educate your viewers to watch less of your long content, which actually is the one bringing you money.

I am not sure it's a valuable proposition to share your content over the shorts platform. Just a thought.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You need like 1,000,000 views to earn 50 bucks and you educate your viewers to watch less of your long content, which actually is the one bringing you money.

I am not sure it's a valuable proposition to share your content over the shorts platform. Just a thought.

Thanks for the warning and the video. I hope you and the video are wrong. I think pool players who really want to improve will still seek out my "long" video content. The people who just want to be entertained by short clips will enjoy the "shorts." And hopefully, a few of theses viewers, who might not have ever checked out any of my "long" content before, might do so at some point (assuming they actually want to learn more about the game and improve).

I guess we will see over time.

Thanks again for the concern.

Cord

A subscription model would probably generate more income, but I don't make all decisions based on income alone. I think many customers appreciate the one-time purchase model.
You are not wrong, dr_dave. I bought the stream/download version of VENT over a year ago, and still refer to it often. (Thanks, btw!) I wouldn't have paid a monthly subscription, though.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are not wrong, dr_dave. I bought the stream/download version of VENT over a year ago, and still refer to it often. (Thanks, btw!) I wouldn't have paid a monthly subscription, though.

I'm glad to hear some people prefer my "old school" purchasing model. :geek:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
theyre okay. I felt sometimes lil spammed so someone might turn off notifications.
I plan to slow down on the shorts. They are taking away from my work on “longs,” which I enjoy doing better.

Did you notice positive effect on your channel?
They boosted subscriptions a little, but they generate very little revenue-share income (almost nothing, at my view rates).

KREE8TIV

Thanks Dr Dave for all your videos . I watch them over and over , lots of times keep the videos going just to listen while I'm up stairs tying flies or making fishing lures and I'll hear the Jeopardy music . For a moment it's like is it already that late in the day ?😄 I learn so much from your content
Keep it up Sir !!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dr Dave for all your videos . I watch them over and over , lots of times keep the videos going just to listen while I'm up stairs tying flies or making fishing lures and I'll hear the Jeopardy music . For a moment it's like is it already that late in the day ?😄 I learn so much from your content
Keep it up Sir !!

My wife and I watch Jeopardy every day. RIP Alex.

Thanks for the comments. I’m glad you like my stuff.