Do You Find Pros Playing 8-ball Boring?

Justaneng

Registered
The pros just need to play REAL bar boxes 8-ball, with tables brought in randomly from dive bars and daiquiri shops around the country and random obstacles installed. It’s too easy to go from a 9’ Diamond with fresh Simonis to a 7’ Diamond also with fresh Simonis.

Let’s see how well Filler can come around 3 rails and land on a dime when one of rails is loose, there’s a giant sticky beer stain in the path, and that unlevel table is outfitted with thick shaggy green cloth that hasn’t been changed since the Clinton Administration, all while jacked up for no other reason other than there’s a giant 7’ tall speaker 3 feet from the table.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been spoiled by Matchroom. I think the interest of pool is always improved when presented with elite commercial production values. I’ve never seen a top shelf presentation of 8-ball. But with great commentary at a great event with real stakes and storylines, I’m sure the interest in 8-ball can be rewarding even if the game itself is mostly broken by pro-level play. Large packages can be impressive if the hype is handled correctly.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy watching top players play 8ball on a 7' Diamond. Yes, they run out tons and it's generally easy for them, but I enjoy watching them manage clusters and work their way through messy racks. Many times they get good spreads and it's very easy, but other times it's do or die run outs and they have to come with very precise and tight position play to run out. They will get hooked, have to kick balls in, come with great shots in general, and safeties are rare. Especially in a longer race, I enjoy it a lot, with both winner breaks and alternate breaks.

With the event on 9' Diamonds that just finished up, I didn't enjoy it as much. Nearly all the guys over 700 FR just shoot so straight, that with limited clusters, it just seems too easy for them to connect the dots.

Now even though I prefer watching the top guys playing big table 10 ball, I like variety and enjoy it when they play the bigger bar table 8ball events.
I learned watching them play 8 ball on a bar box is they absolutely sell out early to break out clusters and get rid of problem balls.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pros just need to play REAL bar boxes 8-ball, with tables brought in randomly from dive bars and daiquiri shops around the country and random obstacles installed. It’s too easy to go from a 9’ Diamond with fresh Simonis to a 7’ Diamond also with fresh Simonis.

Let’s see how well Filler can come around 3 rails and land on a dime when one of rails is loose, there’s a giant sticky beer stain in the path, and that unlevel table is outfitted with thick shaggy green cloth that hasn’t been changed since the Clinton Administration, all while jacked up for no other reason other than there’s a giant 7’ tall speaker 3 feet from the table.
And that speaker has bad karaoke at full volume.
This is the way. Once per year like mosconi cup but in a stip club in the afternoon.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can't say i don't like it because i enjoyed the WPS. take what you make made a big difference. chris mellings runout, the most watched pool video on youtube, was from a WPS event. made a solid and because of the rule he had to make a timing shot on solids and that's what started it off. 8-ball just needs tweaking..

fuggles

I only want to watch 8 ball played on bar boxes. 8 ball on a 9' table is definitely not interesting to me. There aren't many pro tournaments on a bbox. So I end up watching a lot of tournaments with 500-700+ fargo rated players. I find it very interesting.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching 8-ball--so many more ways for the rack to be run and so many more opportunities for great safeties; and there are probably 5× the number of 8-ball players as 9-ball players {the pool of victims is vastly larger.} Table size doe not change this preference.

To me, both 9-ball and 10-ball are boring; while snooker is captivating.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 Ball is a game made for vending machine tables. Once you graduate you should never go back.
My opinion of 8 ball has changed after watching the US Open matches recently. The amount of problem solving and creativity I saw those 2 nights elevates 8 ball out of the category of pablum.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is 8ball a competitive game for pros..?..., no.

Is pro 8ball a great game to watch pros play...?.., well if you don't think it is then, and my apologies for being so blunt but, you should probably play more 8 ball and gain a stronger understanding.

This argument is no different then what game people think is harder to play. Rotation is an extremely easy game. As you have 1 choice to make (offense vs defense) and no choice on what to shoot. 8ball has loads of options with usually awkward situations with near zero opportunities to duck and hide. Execution is paramount in 8ball.

Rotation is generally open lane, zone CB position. 8ball had tight passing lanes and likely pin point spot shape.

I think you can't really appreciate pro 8 ball until you yourself play it at a high level. ...and I'm talking way above regular APA 7 spd.

I completely agree with your points. 8 ball requires great skill in all facets of the game and every match is a unique learning experience 👍

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break, make a ball and run out. Rinse and repeat. Unwatchable. At least in 10-ball there are more opportunities for a bad roll or spectacular safety play. In pro level 8 ball it's Break, make a ball and run out. And, if you don't make a ball your opponent has a 90% chance of running out.
I rarely play 8 unless I’m in a beer joint. In the early 60’s we played 1 & 15 eight ball on regulation tables. . Now when and if I play 8 it’s last pocket.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The IPT was 8 ball and the most exciting event in billiards before the Matchroom doubling on investment and events.

Billiards is a small market.

Its like the math community, educated people never seem useful until everyone else is useless.

8 ball is fun for some one that can't read patterns on the table, its magic when position is good.