Do You Find Pros Playing 8-ball Boring?

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break, make a ball and run out. Rinse and repeat. Unwatchable. At least in 10-ball there are more opportunities for a bad roll or spectacular safety play. In pro level 8 ball it's Break, make a ball and run out. And, if you don't make a ball your opponent has a 90% chance of running out.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.. it’s why even though it’s very popular they don’t play it as a pro. It’s a kids game to them and honestly most good players. Especially on big tables. It’s fun on a bar Box because the balls cluster and it can be challenging. On a 9 foot everything just opens up and it’s usually an easy run out.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I used to think that. Now it's one of my favorite games to play, especially on the barboxes.
I'd rather play or watch 1 pocket most of the time, but if the choice is 8, 9, or 10 ball, I probably prefer 8.
The USA's extremely accomplished SVB still says it's his favorite game.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, when you reach high 700 into 800 Fargo- most games are not very difficult - for them- they make it look easy- like every other sport - there is a very wide separation between amateurs and higher level pros. Try playing one of the higher pros in any game- you will be lost and they will just glide along looking effortless. We watch them to appreciate their skill level, and maybe to learn, if you are bored by it- I don't think that you really love the particular sport.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Mike.

Most league players are 500 and below. 8 ball is a challenging game for most players. Pros make it look easy. I watched hours of the Griff’s US open tournament including 8 ball. The pros still didn’t get out every rack. They still had to execute. FTR, I enjoyed watching the 8 ball matches as much as the 10 ball.

I prefer to play 9 ball. I play USAPL 10 ball and 8 ball on 7ft tables. I have a tough time playing 8 ball on those Diamond 7ft tables. It is a different game. My home table is a 9ft with 4 1/8” pockets and HR cloth. My Fargo is 590. It would be much higher if we played league on 9ft tables or only played 10 ball. I’m saying all of this because I find the nuances interesting to watch as the equipment changes. For instance, SVB won the 10 ball at Griff’s by a wide margin. If you took the magic rack away, the gap would have closed IMHO. I do like the template racks and rack your own though.

My point is that I enjoy watching the 8 ball events because it brings in different skills and dynamics to the game.

JPB2

8 ball is better on the bar box. But it still was ok to watch on the big table. The choices and patterns make it interesting. I don’t find 10 ball particularly interesting. I did watch some of the 10 ball at this, particularly one match with SVB. I am looking forward to the one pocket. That is way more interesting than 10 ball IMO.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Is 8ball a competitive game for pros..?..., no.

Is pro 8ball a great game to watch pros play...?.., well if you don't think it is then, and my apologies for being so blunt but, you should probably play more 8 ball and gain a stronger understanding.

This argument is no different then what game people think is harder to play. Rotation is an extremely easy game. As you have 1 choice to make (offense vs defense) and no choice on what to shoot. 8ball has loads of options with usually awkward situations with near zero opportunities to duck and hide. Execution is paramount in 8ball.

Rotation is generally open lane, zone CB position. 8ball had tight passing lanes and likely pin point spot shape.

I think you can't really appreciate pro 8 ball until you yourself play it at a high level. ...and I'm talking way above regular APA 7 spd.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I agree with Mike.

Most league players are 500 and below. 8 ball is a challenging game for most players. Pros make it look easy. I watched hours of the Griff’s US open tournament including 8 ball. The pros still didn’t get out every rack. They still had to execute. FTR, I enjoyed watching the 8 ball matches as much as the 10 ball.

I prefer to play 9 ball. I play USAPL 10 ball and 8 ball on 7ft tables. I have a tough time playing 8 ball on those Diamond 7ft tables. It is a different game. My home table is a 9ft with 4 1/8” pockets and HR cloth. My Fargo is 590. It would be much higher if we played league on 9ft tables or only played 10 ball. I’m saying all of this because I find the nuances interesting to watch as the equipment changes. For instance, SVB won the 10 ball at Griff’s by a wide margin. If you took the magic rack away, the gap would have closed IMHO. I do like the template racks and rack your own though.

My point is that I enjoy watching the 8 ball events because it brings in different skills and dynamics to the game.
This is pretty much my situation. I play almost exclusively on 9' diamond pros, pretty much 9 and 10 ball and onepocket with banks mixed in here and there.

8 ball is as good a game as any IMHO on any table too. It's not too easy for pros, also IMHO. I don't care if they are breaking and running 50% of the racks. Until someone is breaking and running entire sets right from the jump, then it's still a contest. The pros still have to play better than their opponent, same as in all games.

The real issue, also IMHO, is that pool is just not that entertaining to watch outside of a few hardcore fanatics. Hell, I'd rather play pool than watch pool any time frankly. I just tune in sporadically to watch and learn a few things. Pool doesn't have the team mentality, so does not have the buy in or "my team" aspect of other sports.

None of this matters to me at all really, I'll still love knocking balls around for hours on end, even if no one ever put on another tournament in the whole wide world.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
OP only on big tables.... 7' pro cut Diamonds is it's place, plus the league viewership would be much greater on a box.
No matter who my opponent is, I feel comfortable with this being played on.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 Ball on any American style table, isn't just too easy for top players, it's way too easy. The beauty of the game is just lost. It's basically just 90 percent pattern recognition. For the game to be interesting -- you have to change the table (Chinese 8 ball) or change the game -- like last pocket 8 ball or some other variant. Changing the table, makes the game a snooze fest as there are too many shots that aren't available and they just so happen to be the most exciting ones.

I wonder if a short race, mandatory hard break, last pocket 8 ball event would actually be interesting. Sort of bring a touch of one-pocket like tactics to the game while making room for some more traditional 9-ball positional shots. When I watched some of a recent last pocket match between Orcullo and the known gambler whose name escapes me -- I was actually interested. It showed what someone like Orcullo is capable of and that's not something we get to see often and almost NEVER with traditional 8 ball.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game can be more enhanced by the rules. Appletons World Pool Series used the take what you make rule. That alone changes the dynamic.

Watch some matches from those tournaments and you'll see some amazing runouts.

Last Pocket is also a great game but long end games are prohibitive for tournaments.

jbart65

There is no objective answer.

What is true is that 8 ball is easier for the pros on a 9-ft table. I don’t like watching it as much, but I still like it.

Some pros like Ouschan don’t like 8 ball. Others like SVB and FSR do.

Me, I like 8 ball. Just not as much as 9 or 10 ball. I have played it a lot on 7 and 9 foot tables. It’s harder on a bar box, of course. What I like is being forced to work around the clutter. What I call pool hand to hand combat. Happens a lot with the break of lesser players.

To me, 8 ball can help develop your all round game. it’s not a good idea in my view to stick entirely to one discipline.

Whatever the case, it’s clear 8 ball will always be a third or fourth tier discipline at the pro level.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
There is no objective answer.

What is true is that 8 ball is easier for the pros on a 9-ft table. I don’t like watching it as much, but I still like it.

Some pros like Ouschan don’t like 8 ball. Others like SVB and FSR do.

Me, I like 8 ball. Just not as much as 9 or 10 ball. I have played it a lot on 7 and 9 foot tables. It’s harder on a bar box, of course. What I like is being forced to work around the clutter. What I call pool hand to hand combat. Happens a lot with the break of lesser players.

To me, 8 ball can help develop your all round game. it’s not a good idea in my view to stick entirely to one discipline.

Whatever the case, it’s clear 8 ball will always be a third or fourth tier discipline at the pro level.
Is it really harder on a bar box? I personally think it's easier. Even I broke and ran a 4 pack of 8 ball on a diamond bar box before. I don't play much bar box pool at all, but I think bar box pool is easier, period, regardless of the game. What does the data say? What do pros put up in 8 ball on break and run % on 9' vs bar box 8 ball? Calling Atlarge....he would know. The data don't lie.

Edit: I was wrong (how often do you read that on AZB?). This data does indicate that the break and run % is lower on a bar box for 8 ball vs th 9'. The only conclusion that can logically be drawn, is that I'm a much, much better player than I thought......🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edit #2: I was wrong that I was wrong (hmmmm...i think I'll try that one on my wife, good luck to me). After averaging the four bar box events in that data, the break and run % is 46.5% for the four 7' events. Throwing out the lowest three b& r %'s (which seemed anomalous to me) and averaging the remaining 11 b & r %'s for the nine foot events give a b& r % of 42.09%, a touch lower for the nine footers, which to me is not an appreciable difference. I assume that the three lowest b & r % for the nine foot events were because of some rules in force for those events? Maybe like break box or what not? Perhaps 8 ball on a nine footer is actually a touch tougher than on a bar box then? Could use more data.

As for solving the snooze fest....good luck with that. Last pocket 8 ball seems to gaffy to me. Maybe bank the 8....but even then, what does it matter? Changing the rules is not gonna create much additional interest, IMO. Maybe more hot chicks with signs signifying the score between matches? That gets my vote ....but I might just fast forward the games to see the girls...😈😈😈

Last edited:

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I enjoy watching top players play 8ball on a 7' Diamond. Yes, they run out tons and it's generally easy for them, but I enjoy watching them manage clusters and work their way through messy racks. Many times they get good spreads and it's very easy, but other times it's do or die run outs and they have to come with very precise and tight position play to run out. They will get hooked, have to kick balls in, come with great shots in general, and safeties are rare. Especially in a longer race, I enjoy it a lot, with both winner breaks and alternate breaks.

With the event on 9' Diamonds that just finished up, I didn't enjoy it as much. Nearly all the guys over 700 FR just shoot so straight, that with limited clusters, it just seems too easy for them to connect the dots.

Now even though I prefer watching the top guys playing big table 10 ball, I like variety and enjoy it when they play the bigger bar table 8ball events.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it really harder on a bar box? I personally think it's easier. Even I broke and ran a 4 pack of 8 ball on a diamond bar box before. I don't play much bar box pool at all, but I think bar box pool is easier, period, regardless of the game. What does the data say? What do pros put up in 8 ball on break and run % on 9' vs bar box 8 ball? Calling Atlarge....he would know. The data don't lie.

Edit: I was wrong (how often do you read that on AZB?). This data does indicate that the break and run % is lower on a bar box for 8 ball vs th 9'. The only conclusion that can logically be drawn, is that I'm a much, much better player than I thought......🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

As for solving the snooze fest....good luck with that. Last pocket 8 ball seems to gaffy to me. Maybe bank the 8....but even then, what does it matter? Changing the rules is not gonna create much additional interest, IMO. Maybe more hot chicks with signs signifying the score between matches? That gets my vote ....but I might just fast forward the games to see the girls...😈😈😈

here:

jalapus logan

Silver Member