Do You Find Pros Playing 8-ball Boring?

bpeacock

I enjoy playing 8-ball but I think the question was whether I would rather watch pros play 8-ball. There doesn't seem to be as many chances to watch the pros, so I don't have an opinion. I think I will head over to YouTube and see what I can find...

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy playing 8-ball but I think the question was whether I would rather watch pros play 8-ball. There doesn't seem to be as many chances to watch the pros, so I don't have an opinion. I think I will head over to YouTube and see what I can find...
this is probably the best pro bar table 8 ball match I've ever watched- it was back in 2008- Shane agreed to play Corey with both players committed to using the 2nd ball break:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if they are playing on a 9 footer, it would probably be best if they played on 4 inch pockets or smaller to make ball pocketing a bit more challenging.

As Stu said though, I prefer to watch pros play 8 ball on the bar table to see how they negotiate the clusters. Their cue ball control is so impressive that they often get out when it seems very unlikely.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I enjoy watching 8-ball and wish there were more opportunities to watch it played at a high level.
Watch vnea masters that gets streamed yearly
The best non pro 8ball I’ve ever seen played goes on in these tournaments

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't stand 8 ball. Too easy for pros, too slow and boring for cushion beaters.

If I want to admire strategy and creativity I'll watch the Chohans and Gorsts play one pocket. If I want to see spectacular shot making I'll watch the Fillers and Shaws play 9 ball or 10 ball. Bigfoot 10 ball is by far the best pro game, and I only wish that more pool rooms had at least one 10 ft. table.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching 8-ball--so many more ways for the rack to be run and so many more opportunities for great safeties; and there are probably 5× the number of 8-ball players as 9-ball players {the pool of victims is vastly larger.} Table size doe not change this preference.

To me, both 9-ball and 10-ball are boring; while snooker is captivating.
Another correct answer

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Way back when 14.1 was almost dead, one pocket only played by gray haired old men. The games were eight ball, nine ball, or a little ten ball. More often than not ten ball was played by the same rules as local nine ball, just a ball added to make the break tougher.

Eightball has more options than nine and ten ball making it more fun to play or watch in my opinion. I don't mind watching pro's run out as long as it doesn't involve slop. I think if I were king of the world I would have winner break rules, but you can only break three times in a row. Keep things interesting.

For now I see more imagination in eight ball and one pocket. While eight ball has some issues, I would rather watch it than nine or ten ball.

Hu

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro 8 ball is boring whether it's 7ft or 9ft. I've seen some 7ft pro 8ball tournaments and they didn't seem any different from the 9ft one we just watched. If anything, it seemed easier.

Here's an example. Race to 9. Every rack was a break and run except one rack where there was a scratch on the break by Josh and so SVB ran out.

Watching pros play plink pool on toy tables is never interesting. Almost none of the talent and abilities they spent years developing and honing are ever used.
Yeah! Every game is easier on 7ft...
Cant watch any 7ft table play.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro 8 ball is boring whether it's 7ft or 9ft. I've seen some 7ft pro 8ball tournaments and they didn't seem any different from the 9ft one we just watched. If anything, it seemed easier.

Here's an example. Race to 9. Every rack was a break and run except one rack where there was a scratch on the break by Josh and so SVB ran out.

Watching pros play plink pool on toy tables is never interesting. Almost none of the talent and abilities they spent years developing and honing are ever used.

Thanks for posting that.
I liked watching it.
Especially liked that there were NO slow motion instant replays at all AND they referred to the balls by their numbers.
Not the "red three" or the "green six".
Wish they still did it like this. No repeats at all. Zero!