So Mezz has a new joint pin

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bastard pins piss me off😡
What constitutes as a bastard pin? Anything that isn't 3-8x10? Or 5-16x14? 5-16x18 flat faced. So 3-8x11. 3-8x10 mod ...qr uniloc ...radial ....3-8x14? .... viking Qr... superjoint... ghost...mcdermott qr...bullet...mezz wavy... old wood pin.... ect ect all bastard

Mezz will make a shaft with just about any common thread. What they don't want is people buying a cutec replacement for their new mezz butt. Can u blame them? As a business owner you gotta protect yourself somehow. I wouldn't want other companies making replacements for my product. Ford doesn't make chevy parts. Does that make them both bastards?

If your a repair guy. And too cheap to spend. Idk don't buy the tap and refuse the work. Someone else will do it.

Mezz makes really good stuff personally I like the united joint. I never have any problems don't know why I'd need replacements or work done in the first place. I have a wavy joint cue and I can't tell any difference except I am more carefully when mating the shaft and butt

DeeDeeCues

What constitutes as a bastard pin? Anything that isn't 3-8x10? Or 5-16x14? 5-16x18 flat faced. So 3-8x11. 3-8x10 mod ...qr uniloc ...radial ....3-8x14? .... viking Qr... superjoint... ghost...mcdermott qr...bullet...mezz wavy... old wood pin.... ect ect all bastard

Mezz will make a shaft with just about any common thread. What they don't want is people buying a cutec replacement for their new mezz butt. Can u blame them? As a business owner you gotta protect yourself somehow. I wouldn't want other companies making replacements for my product. Ford doesn't make chevy parts. Does that make them both bastards?

If your a repair guy. And too cheap to spend. Idk don't buy the tap and refuse the work. Someone else will do it.

Mezz makes really good stuff personally I like the united joint. I never have any problems don't know why I'd need replacements or work done in the first place. I have a wavy joint cue and I can't tell any difference except I am more carefully when mating the shaft and butt

Bastard threads don't use a 60 degree form.

Stellar1024

Registered

Try to find a Wavy II pin for sale... And if you can, please provide me a link! I've been looking for a while.. finally thought I found one and ordered it... And received a Wavy (1) pin.

The difference between Wavy I and II pins is nearly nothing... There's no chance such a subtle difference could do anything noticable to a cue's playability.. the only thing it effects is fitment in order to steer customers towards certain products... I don't know exactly what they're trying to do, but it's definitely something aside from just making the best cue possible .

DeeDeeCues

Try to find a Wavy II pin for sale... And if you can, please provide me a link! I've been looking for a while.. finally thought I found one and ordered it... And received a Wavy (1) pin.

The difference between Wavy I and II pins is nearly nothing... There's no chance such a subtle difference could do anything noticable to a cue's playability.. the only thing it effects is fitment in order to steer customers towards certain products... I don't know exactly what they're trying to do, but it's definitely something aside from just making the best cue possible .

They try to make the most MONEY possible, even at the cost of any integrity.

Stellar1024

Registered
While many are unhappy that Mezz has added another joint to their assortment I am not. The way I see it is Mezz sponsors somewhere near 100 or more professional pool players worldwide. In Japan alone they sponsor 23.

In my opinion they are in all likelihood receiving feedback from every single one of them regarding what they like and do not like about the equipment they play with. The fact that they support so many pool players alone gives me confidence they are indeed concerned about their equipment and the future of pool. The feedback they receive is then available to them for any changes they consider necessary to their equipment. It may have even led to this new joint design, who knows..

I do not know of any other company involved in pool that sponsors anywhere near what Mezz does, that alone is good enough for me... If anyone knows of any other pool related company doing the same please post their name, I'd love to know..

JMO!
This is ridiculous... You really think a professional player told Mezz, "ya know... I love your equipment, but a longer shoulder in the joint pin sure would make it better! I'd love it if you guys would make a new pin!" Come on dude... Lol. Pros shoot with whatever cue maker pays them the best and they would shoot equally good with them all, because a decent cue is a decent cue, regardless what joint pin it has.

If you gave any player two cues to play with, with different pin types in each, there's absolutely ZERO chance they could tell you which cue has which pin without unscrewing the shaft to look or just getting a lucky guess.

Stellar1024

Registered
The below was taken from a comment found within the "Mezz & Exceed Cue Fans" FB group:

"...the material of the thread inside the shaft has changed. thread is now NOT wooden but made from phenolic (or something synthetic similar to phenolic) material in order NOT to change through the years like in some occasions it was observed with wood. Because wood is a softer material and over time, some threads in some shafts were observed to become slightly looser than they originally were when came out of the factory.
The tread material, thread depth and the pin diameter have also changed in order to offer a better feeling/feedback while hitting the cue ball. At least according to the experts and technology developers"
This is funny. They must really think the pool community is stupid. Oooh... They needed phenolic inserts in their shafts, so of course they needed a new pin design thats not compatible with the previous! Or uh... You could just add phenolic fkin inserts to your shafts and keep using the already bastard wavy I pin...

I really had quite a bit of respect for Mezz prior to this, but now have absolutely none. I don't care how good your products are if you do business like this and treat your customers and community like they're fkin retarded.

DeeDeeCues

This is funny. They must really think the pool community is stupid. Oooh... They needed phenolic inserts in their shafts, so of course they needed a new pin design thats not compatible with the previous! Or uh... You could just add phenolic fkin inserts to your shafts and keep using the already bastard wavy I pin...

I really had quite a bit of respect for Mezz prior to this, but now have absolutely none. I don't care how good your products are if you do business like this and treat your customers and community like they're fkin retarded.

Their customers keep proving them correct, why stop?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I was wondering what that Wavy 2 was all about. Was on their web-site a few days ago. Gotta admit: I own a Mezz and I love the quality/craftsmanship from a production Co. Their joints are the best for fit IMO.
I was looking for options on their WX Sigma shafts, and was a little disappointed that they only offered it in 3 joint screws. They were: Wavy,3/8-10, and Radial, (I believe). WX Sigma comes with a PRO taper and 12.0 diameter. I was looking to get two , one for my Mezz .
Guess I gotta wait.
Seems like the "2" Wavy is a money thing, but honestly if you are a Co. on the cutting edge; you don't hesitate to intro new product.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering what that Wavy 2 was all about. Was on their web-site a few days ago. Gotta admit: I own a Mezz and I love the quality/craftsmanship from a production Co. Their joints are the best for fit IMO.
I was looking for options on their WX Sigma shafts, and was a little disappointed that they only offered it in 3 joint screws. They were: Wavy,3/8-10, and Radial, (I believe). WX Sigma comes with a PRO taper and 12.0 diameter. I was looking to get two , one for my Mezz .
Guess I gotta wait.
Seems like the "2" Wavy is a money thing, but honestly if you are a Co. on the cutting edge; you don't hesitate to intro new product.
According to Mezz the new pin was designed to work better with the phenolic insert used on the Ignite.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I gotta wait.
Miki currently only offer their shafts in W1, W2 and United joint. I've been told this is a production capacity issue. Shafts might be available in other joint types, but don't hold your breath..

Stellar1024

Registered
Old news... why are we reliving this..?

If you panties are in a knot over the wavy2, then go buy a predator.

Done
Because I make cues and a customer wanted a cue with a wavy 2 pin... But you cannot buy them... And it irritated me. Why would I buy a predator...?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Because I make cues and a customer wanted a cue with a wavy 2 pin... But you cannot buy them... And it irritated me. Why would I buy a predator...?
Ah, you make cues. You never said you were attempting to build a cue with a wavy2 nearly 3mths ago. You sounded like just another "Mezz hates their customers" whiner. That's why I suggested buying form a different manufacturer.

Far be it from me to suggest to you a business model. However if the whole notion of dealing with Mezz pins/joints irritates you so much, then maybe just tell your potential customers that you don't support it...?

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I play with Mezz playing cue and break cue but all these different joints are confusing and to me a big turn off. My playing cue has a United joint. It is tight as a tick and has no problems that I can perceive. Message to Mezz -- stop making different joints; it's a negative not a positive.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with Mezz playing cue and break cue but all these different joints are confusing and to me a big turn off. My playing cue has a United joint. It is tight as a tick and has no problems that I can perceive. Message to Mezz -- stop making different joints; it's a negative not a positive.
Can't be too confusing as the current joint line-up is just the wavy2 and the united. Older W1 shafts will fit on newer W2 butts but not vice-versa. They aren't changing anytime soon. If you're a 'shaft flipper' Mezz is not the brand to buy. There are a few shaft makers that offer the W1 but not a lot.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
To echo garczar... They only have made 3 different joints in their history.

Predator has made:
  • 5/16-14
  • 5/16-18
  • Unilock
  • Radial
So is the problem that Mezz has "so many" joints or that they simply don't give a crap to follow anyone else's lead on what to use on their products..?

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To echo garczar... They only have made 3 different joints in their history.

Predator has made:
  • 5/16-14
  • 5/16-18
  • Unilock
  • Radial
So is the problem that Mezz has "so many" joints or that they simply don't give a crap to follow anyone else's lead on what to use on their products..?
To echo Garzar: "The older shafts will go on the new butt. Just can't put a new W2 shaft on a Wavy1 butt. I think its kinda goofy as well."

Predator has used a variety of existing joints. I have a United joint on a Mezz shaft and it seems to be a very satisfactory joint. They've now created two more. My point is the first one is fine and they've added complexity due to incompatability.

Almost without exception, every time I post something I get a rude response. Today I got two.

Goodbye AZB. I'm GONE.