So Mezz has a new joint pin

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The below was taken from a comment found within the "Mezz & Exceed Cue Fans" FB group:

"...the material of the thread inside the shaft has changed. thread is now NOT wooden but made from phenolic (or something synthetic similar to phenolic) material in order NOT to change through the years like in some occasions it was observed with wood. Because wood is a softer material and over time, some threads in some shafts were observed to become slightly looser than they originally were when came out of the factory.
The tread material, thread depth and the pin diameter have also changed in order to offer a better feeling/feedback while hitting the cue ball. At least according to the experts and technology developers"
well I'm glad that I switched to an Ignite shaft then, which probably has that phenolic thread. At least it's not wood inside it. And it fits the wavy1 joint in my cue (which had a USP that was something like "...with that wood-on-wood contact for the ultimate feel, like you have a solid wood cue" which now is exposed as BS, I guess?)

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
well I'm glad that I switched to an Ignite shaft then, which probably has that phenolic thread. At least it's not wood inside it. And it fits the wavy1 joint in my cue (which had a USP that was something like "...with that wood-on-wood contact for the ultimate feel, like you have a solid wood cue" which now is exposed as BS, I guess?)
Not even close. Wood to wood works very well and will be a standard forever. The fancy new inserts in the shaft are not that new, huebler used nylon back in the 80's. Truth is any time you add another piece you risk a bad interface that can come apart so the insert idea isn't very smart. If mezz was having problems then it's probably just Mezz not everyone. I had a 70's southwest that had no issues with wood to wood and many vintage Mcdermott with no issues.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not even close. Wood to wood works very well and will be a standard forever. The fancy new inserts in the shaft are not that new, huebler used nylon back in the 80's. Truth is any time you add another piece you risk a bad interface that can come apart so the insert idea isn't very smart. If mezz was having problems then it's probably just Mezz not everyone. I had a 70's southwest that had no issues with wood to wood and many vintage Mcdermott with no issues.
Many vintage McD's have very loose fit and the tip end flop really badly before tightly jointing the two pieces.
McD also introduced inserts for their performance shafts .

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't mean wood-to-wood as a concept was BS, I meant Mezz using that as a USP was BS since they are moving away from that without batting an eye (first with the ignite shaft and now with this new Wavy2 concept).

dirtvictim

I didn't mean wood-to-wood as a concept was BS, I meant Mezz using that as a USP was BS since they are moving away from that without batting an eye (first with the ignite shaft and now with this new Wavy2 concept).
Got ya. Makes sense

dirtvictim

Many vintage McD's have very loose fit and the tip end flop really badly before tightly jointing the two pieces.
McD also introduced inserts for their performance shafts .
True they do use inserts now however I never had a problem with the W/W shafts in 40 years.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe a stupid question.

If one is considering an Ignite shaft, there should be no difference between the Wavy/1 or the Wavy/2 pin because the CF shaft is not wood. Right?

Asking for a friend.;)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another bastard screw. Now has longer pilot to locate the hole to properly center the screw ?
Why?
If the ID of the screw matches the hole size , you'll have no problems .
Double screw just makes the threads narrower . Does that give them more axial force ?
The first Wave screw was just a bastardized radial screw .
Bastard pins piss me off😡

891014+1

Any knows radial pin is the best cue joint. They are trying to do the same with some self made joint. Good for quality.

CanadianGuy

I have various radial shafts and butts, my favorite joint

one caveat, they are not always entirely compatible from one manufacturer to another, I never had that issue with uni loc

I think those two joints are the gold standard at the moment

ultimately i think it matters little, just check out the stuff carom and snooker players are using, joints are damn near ancient

as far as Mezz, they are just simply behind with their current business practices, part of their charm I guess, first class equipment but not so great with the other stuff, lots of companies in this game fall into this category

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

one caveat, they are not always entirely compatible from one manufacturer to another, I never had that issue with uni loc

ultimately i think it matters little, just check out the stuff carom and snooker players are using, joints are damn near ancient

as far as Mezz, they are just simply behind with their current business practices, part of their charm I guess, first class equipment but not so great with the other stuff, lots of companies in this game fall into this category
The gold standard of joints would be the joint that you can get from pretty much anyone. That, in my observation, is the 5/16-14 thread. You can get a shaft from any manufacturer if you own a cue with a 5/16-14 pin that’s around .840 in diameter. You could even get some very nice custom shafts that would fit your cue. “Radial” is a crap shoot at best. Predator radial? .840 joint, and fits their own stuff great. Jacoby? .8475” and larger pilot than Predator. Fit poorly on any cue except their own, and Fury. Any Asian made radial? Usually .8475” and large pilots. If I get a Predator shaft for my Joss? It’s .840. OB? .840. All shafts match my cue. If there was ever a gold standard, that’s my choice.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a bunch of guesses. Who cares how many players they sponsor. Predator sponsors WAAAY more. Do they use some oddball pin? No. Until i get a response FROM MEZZ on this i'm still in the 'money grab' boat. I use a Mezz and really like it. I doubt i ever buy another product of their's. The use of these goofy proprietary pins is kinda chicken-shit imo. When the Wavy first came out they could have easily used a Radial pin but they didn't. Why?? $$$$$$$.

I feel the same way about Tiger products.

DeeDeeCues

Any knows radial pin is the best cue joint. They are trying to do the same with some self made joint. Good for quality.

Heartily disagree. Radial is one of the worst pins.

The use of the term 'gold standard' would strongly imply that they are, well, standard. They aren't. Vee threads have a standard that is used across industries, from aerospace to firearms, automotive, mining, etc..

Anyone who hasn't studied screw design should consider whether they should voice their uninformed opinion on joint screws.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Interesting... I always thought the Predator 'Uni-loc' was their proprietary joint. What other manufacturers use it...?

I do know Mezz offers Predator shafts with their 'United' or 'Wavy' threading.
Lucasi and Universal both used uni lock. They seem to have moved away from it recently. My guess is it's too expensive. Also Joss west and Eurowest used uni lock as well as Dale Perry.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The Wavy pin was a stupid moneygrab, however radial joints are now mostly proprietary anyway, so I guess the others are just as bad, but making a second, proprietary pin of the same kind is just mean spirited. I have a Kwikfire cue made by Carolina custom cues that I can't get a new shaft for. Nobody knows what pin it is and the company is gone, so that's it. That's what happens when custom cue makers think they know better than engineers when it comes to pins

3k1n

I have a mezz ignite shaft with united joint. Would this fit with a mezz butt with a wavy 2 joint?