Thread: 14.1 Help
View Single Post
Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-25-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswhiting View Post

Any drills that would help with end ball patterns? ...
Yes. Here is an excellent end pattern drill that I got from a 14.1 clinic Alex Lely gave in Chicago. But first, here is a little more motivation to work on this. I was talking to Jimmy Caras and the discussion turned to Willie Mosconi. He said that Willie was just a middle-of-the-pack player until he mastered the last five balls. After that no one could beat him. Jimmy didn't say exactly when this happened, but I suspect it was on the storied exhibition road trip with Greenleaf. Anyway, here is the drill. I would call the drill 5.1.

Start with your favorite break shot. After the break, remove all but five balls from the table. You are making the last-five pattern up from what's available. Run those balls to the break shot, break, and again remove all but five balls from the table. See how many you can run this way.

Often you will have a good break shot available from the 14 balls on the table, but occasionally you will want to bump a ball into position, and you will have to arrange that with the five balls you select to leave on the table.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy