world Open on Phillipines TV

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
The World Open is scheduled to be premiered on Phillipines RPN Channel 9 TV on 3,4,6 and 7 October but not a cheep from IPT about it via their usual blanket e-mail shot to the world and his mother,though there is an article on their own site under the Press Release section (dated 29 Sept).

How does our resident site Phillipino community think the fact that Efren and the others haven't ben paid their prize money will be perceived by the viewers in the Phillipines,if indeed they know about it?

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
memikey said:
How does our resident site Phillipino community think the fact that Efren and the others haven't ben paid their prize money will be perceived by the viewers in the Phillipines,if indeed they know about it?
Huh? It's already party time here and the President even awarded Efren the Order of Lakandula. Check came in friday.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
bandido said:
Huh? It's already party time here and the President even awarded Efren the Order of Lakandula. Check came in friday.

So Efren's $500,000 check arrived and he's cashed it, and it cleared or is this a joke?

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
That's one of the good thing about foreign players, if the check bounced KT could easily be blacklisted by banks.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
Island Drive said:
So Efren's $500,000 check arrived and he's cashed it, and it cleared or is this a joke?
Arrived? According to someone within the Efren Org, yes. Cleared? It does take a few banking days and it's a bad idea for them to bounce a "major draw" 's prize money.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
That's good to hear. If I were KT, I really wouldn't want to be on Efren's bad side. KT should have pushed Efren's star right from the start, and not Mike Sigel's. Marketing Efren's trickshots video alone would make him rich...but then again, what do I know??

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Renegade said:
That's good to hear. If I were KT, I really wouldn't want to be on Efren's bad side. KT should have pushed Efren's star right from the start, and not Mike Sigel's. Marketing Efren's trickshots video alone would make him rich...but then again, what do I know??
Efren is not exactly the best English public speaker out there. ;) His english is pretty bad but understandable. I think they did OK with Sigel, but could have done better with Archer or Morris or another American that speaks English pretty well.

There is no doubt though that Efren is the better player out of him and Sigel. Just I dont think he would have made a good public figure for the non-pool audience to watch off the table.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
Efren is not exactly the best English public speaker out there. ;) His english is pretty bad but understandable. I think they did OK with Sigel, but could have done better with Archer or Morris or another American that speaks English pretty well.

There is no doubt though that Efren is the better player out of him and Sigel. Just I dont think he would have made a good public figure for the non-pool audience to watch off the table.

Why any other player than Efren when he's the only one who can bring SRO attendance wherever he performs? The language deficiency should have been where the Marketing department did its magic. Overcoming this deficiency is one reason why most other sports are way ahead of pool in popularity.

Why can't pool be pool? Why do the insiders have to drastically sanitize it for the non-pool audience? Market the heck its positive side and that will tone down the darn effects of the negative. Pool in the Philippines is the best example of this and its strategy was based on Ying-Yang and the Art of War. Accept the truth and work with it.

Last edited:

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
efren doesnt need to speak good english...he let's his cue do the talking!

and besides, pool isn't just for americans, people! at least, not anymore....efren's got fans all over the world who don't speak an ounce of english.

it probably would've mattered before when only american networks showed pool or produced pool tournaments, but this is not the case anymore. if there's anyone who should be perfect as the ambassador of pool, then it's efren. he's won in tournaments all over the world and was well received each time.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
I was watching one of the invitational games the Efren and Bustamante attended in Japan. They actually have mics on both player booths. One booth was speaking in Filipino while other Mandarin on Japanese TV. It strikes as odd that many Americans still see language as a BIG barrier when the rest of the world don't even care about it.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
crosseyedjoe said:
I was watching one of the invitational games the Efren and Bustamante attended in Japan. They actually have mics on both player booths. One booth was speaking in Filipino while other Mandarin on Japanese TV. It strikes as odd that many Americans still see language as a BIG barrier when the rest of the world don't even care about it.
I did mention in one earlier post in another thread that Asia, most specially the Philippines, does have a better system in organizing and covering pool events. Puyat Sports is the pioneer and is still way ahead of the pack in pool event organizing, marketing and operations.

Asia is a service-oriented society so details that'll impact the end-users are placed under the magnifying glass before they cause problems down down the road.

King B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bandido said:
Why any other player than Efren when he's the only one who can bring SRO attendance wherever he performs? The language deficiency should have been where the Marketing department did its magic. Overcoming this deficiency is one reason why most other sports are way ahead of pool in popularity.

Why can't pool be pool? Why do the insiders have to drastically sanitize it for the non-pool audience? Market the heck its positive side and that will tone down the darn effects of the negative. Pool in the Philippines is the best example of this and its strategy was based on Ying-Yang and the Art of War. Accept the truth and work with it.

Your saying that Efren cashed his check thats funny because it takes 30 to 45 days to clear a check in the philippines, nice try.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
King B said:
Your saying that Efren cashed his check thats funny because it takes 30 to 45 days to clear a check in the philippines, nice try.
You're one of the idiots aren't you? Where in any of my posts did it say that he cashed his check. Nice try, pea-brain!

Schmohawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bandido said:
You're one of the idiots aren't you? Where in any of my posts did it say that he cashed his check. Nice try, pea-brain!

He better keep that Car Wash job.

PS- Your PM's are full

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
King B said:

Probably local banks takes 30 to 45 days, but US banks by law have only 2 business days to clear a check once the check is received.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmohawk said:
He better keep that Car Wash job.

PS- Your PM's are full

I have the upmost respect for the carwash guys that wash and clean my windows, floor mats, trunk and tires etc.. I tip them well for the service they render. They appear in So.Cal. to be predominately Hispanic and perhaps immigrants wanting to be free but they didn't enter under the watch of the Statue of Liberty or the US Immigration Authorities.

I don't speculate that he is of that ilk or include Bandito with your comment. I believe that he speaks the truth from first hand knowledge and not speculation like some..