View Single Post
Old
  (#6)
Game Hunter
AzB Bronze Member
Game Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeGame Hunter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-04-2019, 12:53 PM

Hazards is very well attested but I can't find any English source for Pyramids before 1850. That's a 75 year gap. I'm not sure which of Shamos' books the 1775 date comes from. I'm using Shamos' revised encyclopedia which list the OED and Edwin Kentfield (both 1850) as the earliest source: https://books.google.com/books?id=gp...page&q&f=false

Through trawling Google Books, I can't find an earlier source. Michael Phelan reported Fifteen-ball Pool in the US in the same year. George Frederick Pardon believed Pyramids to be of German origin. I'm going to have to trudge through the blackletter German rule books to look at how the pyramid games developed there. Bob claimed that Figaro had a six-ball pyramid. I wonder if the pyramid expanded to ten, then fifteen, and finally twenty-one balls. The 15-ball period would most likely be the time frame for its entry into the English-speaking world.