A few questions about an older Schon

Chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a what appears to be a Schon SP-46 with two shafts. According to the seller, the cue is over twenty years The brochure I found it listed in indicates it might be a little less than that.

The cue was advertised as "absolutely straight". Unfortunately, upon receipt both shafts appear to have some minor warping. The seller insists the shafts were straight when she shipped them 3-4 days ago.

When the worst of the two shafts is rolled, there is just under 2 mm difference in the amount of space between the table and the shaft when the curvature due to warpage is bowed upward away from the table, or downward, towards the table.

The shafts appear to be about 13 mm at the base of the ferrule. The butt is in fairly good condition. There are some dings (dented wood), but no gouges (removed, broken or cut wood fibers).

The seller has offered to refund my purchase price plus shipping. However, I'm not sure that is my best option if the minimallly warped shafts don't have a significant adverse effect on resale value.

How much will minor warping affect the value of an older Schon? I assume it will affect actual plyability only minimally.
Can the shafts be straightened by removing some wood, or would I be left with toothpick to play with? If the shafts can be repaired in such manner, how will that repair affect the hit? How will it affect the resale value?
Is this cue worth keeping with an eye towards resale, or will the warped shafts have little or no value if they are accurately repesented?

Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

DougT

Illustrated Principles
Chris said:
I recently purchased a what appears to be a Schon SP-46 with two shafts. According to the seller, the cue is over twenty years old.

The cue was advertised as "absolutely straight," and as such, I believe I got an excellent deal. Unfortunately, upon receipt both shafts appear to have some minor warping. The seller insists the shafts were straight when she shipped them 3-4 days ago.

When the worst of the two shafts is rolled, there is about a 2 mm difference in the amount of space between the table and the shaft when the curvature due to warpage is bowed upward away from the table, or downward, towards the table.

The shafts appear to be 13 mm at the ferrule, but it is very difficult to say for certain, as the ferrules have been worn some from years of chalking the tip in a "drilling" manner. The butt is in fairly good condition. There are some dings (dented wood), but no gouges (removed, broken or cut wood fibers).

The seller has offered to refund my purchase price plus shipping. However, I'm not sure that is my best option.

How much will minor warping affect the value of an older Schon? Also, how much will it affect the playability? Can the shafts be straightened by removing some wood, or would I be left with toothpick to play with? If the shafts can be repaired in such manner, how will that repair affect the hit? How will it affect the resale value? Is this cue worth keeping, or should I return it for a refund.

Thank you for your input.
Hi Chris; if you think you got a good deal, keep the cue.
Shafts can be straightened, try a search here, but what I've heard is to 'hang' the cue. A string or rubber band would work, or a soft-rubber hose even. Hang 'em for a month in the closet without the air conditioning, and you may see them straighten up. I've never done it myself, but that method has been mentionend here a few times that I've noticed. I have a shaft or two I'm going to hang in the basement this summer.

DougT

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris,

If the shafts were warped when you received them, them they were warped when she mailed them. The cue would have probably brought a slightly lower value if this were disclosed in the ad.

You will find very few vintage cues with perfectly straight shafts. I have come to accept this as a fact of life. In fact, if I find a vintage cue that's perfectly straight, I consider it a treasured rarity.

Off the top of my head, it takes 4 factors for a cue to stay straight for many years 1) luck 2) careful choice of woods 3) a patient, knowlegeable cue maker and 4) excellent storage conditions in a favorable climate.

The Schons I favor were made in the 1980's, and have sharp, hand spliced points. That's just me. The early 1990's Schons are great player cues. So, if you pick up the cue and it feels right to you, you did well. The real beauty of Schons is that you can buy a used shaft or get a new factory one that fits the cue as perfectly today as it did 20 years ago. In other words, you have a good playing, completely serviceable cue that will last you for another 40 years with a little care.

Chris

Last edited:

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i happen to play with an sp46 and now nothing else feels right to me. I bought mine off ebay for about 350 2 or 3 years ago, 2 dead straight shafts and one nick in the butt. Thing i find i really like about my stick is the "interference fit" where the shaft screws on to a point, then it gets super tight-i think this is what gives my stick the feel ive grown accustomed to. The down side is there are actually 2 versions of the 5/16 14 pin......and my schon came with what i believe is the less popular size, so not all 5/16 14 shafts fit them, you have to be mindful of that or you could end up buying shafts for it and they wont screw on. All in all, its a great players stick like someone said.......ive picked up an ob1 for it......another 31 inch schon shaft off ebay, and ill probably try a z shaft too, its basically my stick for life although a refinish and a leather wrap are in its future.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
If you like the cue, keep it. Have new shafts custom made the way you want them and play with those. Just keep the original shafts for resale puposes. Honestly...the shafts will not straighten. Possibly for a period of time...but they will 99 times out of 100 return simply because wood has memory. That being said...I have on several occasions removed the "dashed" collars off an old Schon and fitted them to new shaft wood. Impossible to tell they were not original.

Chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks, everybody, for the feedback.

I think I will be sending the cue back to the seller. Without the straight shafts, it does not fit my needs as I had anticipated.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris said:

I think I will be sending the cue back to the seller. Without the straight shafts, it does not fit my needs as I had anticipated.

Probably a wise move, Chris.

PlynSets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris said:

Chris if you don't mind.. Approximately how much did you pay for it? Doesn't have to be exact. I'm going to be in the market for another Schon here in the somewhat near future and was just curious as to what I should expect for pricing.

On a side note, THANKS FOR THE LINK!! I had always wondered what my Current Schon is, and roughly when it was built etc..

I have a SP 31 with 2 shafts. One of the shafts has the slight warp that you described. Ironically enough it's my favorite of the 2 shafts to play with. The warp is so minimal that I can't see it affecting the game? The other shaft is dead straight. What do you figure this is worth? (not that I'd ever sell it, just curious) Cue is in perfect condition.

DJ

Chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PlynSets said:
Chris if you don't mind.. Approximately how much did you pay for it? Doesn't have to be exact. I'm going to be in the market for another Schon here in the somewhat near future and was just curious as to what I should expect for pricing.

On a side note, THANKS FOR THE LINK!! I had always wondered what my Current Schon is, and roughly when it was built etc..

I have a SP 31 with 2 shafts. One of the shafts has the slight warp that you described. Ironically enough it's my favorite of the 2 shafts to play with. The warp is so minimal that I can't see it affecting the game? The other shaft is dead straight. What do you figure this is worth? (not that I'd ever sell it, just curious) Cue is in perfect condition.

DJ

You're thanking the wrong Chris for the link. That is from the website of (username) TATE. I agree with you that it is very helpful.

With regards to the value of yours, I really couldn't say. I would recommend watching eBay for awhile, tracking the selling prices of similar cues. Maybe those who are more knowledgable than me can chime in with their opinions for you.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I am wrong but I dont think that 2 mm is anything to worry about.

Thats .08 of an inch. I know most people like to think that all cues have perfectly straight shafts but they dont.
As Tate said ...if you find an older cue that is perfectly straight it is
a treasure.
I would think that shafts being only 2mm warped could be straightened.

Older Schons hit very well IMO and are sought after. I dont know what
you paid for it but if you got a good deal I would keep the cue. Of course if its something that is going to bother you then maybe you need to return it.
I would just wonder if you will find one that will suit you.