joshua filler

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have yet to see anything controversial
I find this hilarious. I was pretty kind about it. Total denial makes the knowledgeable dismiss you.

When Wu accidentally fouled by touching a ball on the final game of the US Open after such an amazing back and forth, and Josh ran out for the win, socially adept players would first shake Wu’s hand, tell him that it was unfortunate, console him (think Ronnie O’Sulliivan), and then celebrate. Instead, he pumped his fist and screamed out as if the last rack was a hard-earned dog fight. It was handed to him.

If you think that his behavior was only noticeable to an American, then this thread isn’t for you.

Freddie <~~~ SMH

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I find this hilarious. I was pretty kind about it. Total denial makes the knowledgeable dismiss you.

When Wu accidentally fouled by touching a ball on the final game of the US Open after such an amazing back and forth, and Josh ran out for the win, socially adept players would first shake Wu’s hand, tell him that it was unfortunate, console him (think Ronnie O’Sulliivan), and then celebrate. Instead, he pumped his fist and screamed out as if the last rack was a hard-earned dog fight. It was handed to him.

If you think that his behavior was only noticeable to an American, then this thread isn’t for you.

Freddie <~~~ SMH

Nothing was "handed" to him.

He's a kid and just won the us open, and it wouldn't have been the final game if Wu had won that rack.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

He's a kid and just won the us open, and it wouldn't have been the final game if Wu had won that rack.

Agreed. I'll take it one step further. Had he not fouled, he might well have missed that very shot, which was quite difficult jacked up.

By any reasonable standard, nothing was handed to him. Playing all ball fouls, Wu made an error and, thereby, denied himself a chance to pull off an amazing and unlikely comeback. Filler outplayed him in the final, which is why he needed an amazing comeback in the first place.

Freddie's right, though. Josh should have shaken Wu's hand immediately after making the nine, rather than burst into celebration, but he's still got a few things to learn at the age of 21. Still, to me, it was a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Last edited:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I was 21, if I was the best rock thrower in my driveway, I was a jacked up arrogant ass. Willing to brag about my abilities to anyone who would listen. IMO, Filler is a world class champion with more than acceptable social skills. I am looking forward to watching him play for years.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Freddie <~~~ SMH

well, this thread would hardly exist if he was from ohio

regarding the celebration, this is the way he is and has always been. he is extremely focused and intense for x number of days and when he wins it's a release of this tension. this focus is what makes him great so i can't blame him for it. appleton and mika does this too. it doesn't mean they are less polite, it's not even something they can control. people handle pressure in different ways.

so to me that is not controversial. controversial is rack-manipulating like orcullo or sharking like earl. i haven't seen anything like that from joshua, he relies solely on his ability to shoot pool

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
well, this thread would hardly exist if he was from ohio

regarding the celebration, this is the way he is and has always been. he is extremely focused and intense for x number of days and when he wins it's a release of this tension. this focus is what makes him great so i can't blame him for it. appleton and mika does this too. it doesn't mean they are less polite, it's not even something they can control. people handle pressure in different ways.

so to me that is not controversial. controversial is rack-manipulating like orcullo or sharking like earl. i haven't seen anything like that from joshua, he relies solely on his ability to shoot pool
As I said, he rubs people the wrong way. And as Stu said, it’s a misdemeanor. If you don’t want to see that, so be it. I’m not the guy that needs explanations on his actions. I was there just like a lot of others were.

Freddie <~~~ congratulations , Joshua

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

When Wu fouled without shooting, the resultant ball in hand is literally “handing it to him.” And since Filler ran out, it literally, not figuratively was the final game.

I don’t need to wordsmith this.

Freddie

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I'll take it one step further. Had he not fouled, he might well have missed that very shot, which was quite difficult jacked up.

By any reasonable standard, nothing was handed to him. Playing all ball fouls, Wu made an error and, thereby, denied himself a chance to pull off an amazing and unlikely comeback. Filler outplayed him in the final, which is why he needed an amazing comeback in the first place.

Freddie's right, though. Josh should have shaked Wu's hand immediately after making the nine, rather than burst into celebration, but he's still got a few things to learn at the age of 21. Still, to me, it was a misdemeanor, not a felony.
Totally agree with the misdemeanor call. He's the best all-rounder i've seen in years and he's still a kid. Does anybody know how they'd react at THE second that you'd just won one of the MOST hyped events in the history of pool? If that's all there is to knock then i think he'll be ok. Anybody remember John McEnroe?? You either loved him or hated him but he put butts in the seats and eyes on the tv.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
When Wu fouled without shooting, the resultant ball in hand is literally “handing it to him.” And since Filler ran out, it literally, not figuratively was the final game.

I don’t need to wordsmith this.

Freddie

He didn't get to the hill by games being handed to him. Word smithing is exactly what you are doing.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Boys, boys, boys! You're both right! Joshua earned that big win at the Open by his great play over several days against some seriously tough competition. Not to mention his elation at winning $50,000!. Not so easy to make that kind of money in the pool business. That said, he was gifted with BIH in the final game, ending a great comeback bid by Wu that had us all on the edge of our seats. Weird thing, I saw it coming when he put his arm so close to the cue ball with his long sleeve hanging down. He needed to be very careful there and he wasn't. He paid the price for it. P.S. To Wu, roll up your sleeve next time!

I have to say that I was disappointed to see it end that way, but such is life. The ref made the right call and the rules should be strictly adhered to, especially in the final match on TV. I think we've all seen similar things play out in the final games and minutes of other pro sports. Sometimes big games have been decided by bad calls and that is even more disappointing.

Racky BallBoa

Registered
The Hiller

I like Joshua Filler, he is a bit different, but I think a pool players differences add an interest to the game and to the overall atmosphere, and they become more memorable. I think we all have memories of certain pool players in our past from the local pool rooms in our hometowns that displayed nuances and gestures and utterances that we will never forget.

However, I don't like his given nickname "Filler the Killer", he is too innocent looking for that nickname. I think he should be nicknamed "Filler the Hiller" because he seems to be involved in a lot of "Hill / Hill" matches.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Joshua Filler, he is a bit different, but I think a pool players differences add an interest to the game and to the overall atmosphere, and they become more memorable. I think we all have memories of certain pool players in our past from the local pool rooms in our hometowns that displayed nuances and gestures and utterances that we will never forget.

However, I don't like his given nickname "Filler the Killer", he is too innocent looking for that nickname. I think he should be nicknamed "Filler the Hiller" because he seems to be involved in a lot of "Hill / Hill" matches.
Being German he could be "Filler the Swiller" but he doesn't look like knockin' back brews are his deal. ')

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
He didn't get to the hill by games being handed to him. Word smithing is exactly what you are doing.

You’ve created an entire narrative that didnt happen. I described the actions of Joshua Filler in the final rack, All of this notion on how it came to be has no bearing on whatI described. Of course it was the final rack because it was the final rack. It cant be simpler than that. And of all the ways that anyone would want to start what would be the final rack is with ball in hand, and he didnt even have to play safe. Regardless of your feelings or mine, that’s simply what happened. Why would you argue that? These things happened! No word-smithing needed. That’s your narrative, not mine.

The only question is how he behaved and whether that behavior is acceptable, tolerable, eye raising, perfectly acceptable etc. i have my own feeling on them. I have no opinion on how that last rack should have or could have gone down, because it went down like it went down. We can only work with what actually happened. It seems that simple.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You’ve created an entire narrative that didnt happen. I described the actions of Joshua Filler in the final rack, All of this notion on how it came to be has no bearing on whatI described. Of course it was the final rack because it was the final rack. It cant be simpler than that. And of all the ways that anyone would want to start what would be the final rack is with ball in hand, and he didnt even have to play safe. Regardless of your feelings or mine, that’s simply what happened. Why would you argue that? These things happened! No word-smithing needed. That’s your narrative, not mine.

The only question is how he behaved and whether that behavior is acceptable, tolerable, eye raising, perfectly acceptable etc. i have my own feeling on them. I have no opinion on how that last rack should have or could have gone down, because it went down like it went down. We can only work with what actually happened. It seems that simple.

It was only the final rack because he was on the hill because of great play, it is not his fault his opponent fouled.
Your word smithing makes it seem like he was given the match, no other way to read it.

If you hate the kid just say it, otherwise quit trying to diminish his play by saying he was given the game, his play was fantastic throughout the entire tournament, and it certainly wasnt his fault Wu fouled. If anything you should be bashing Wu for fouling and needing to make a huge comback.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was only the final rack because he was on the hill because of great play, it is not his fault his opponent fouled.
Your word smithing makes it seem like he was given the match, no other way to read it.

If you hate the kid just say it, otherwise quit trying to diminish his play by saying he was given the game, his play was fantastic throughout the entire tournament, and it certainly wasnt his fault Wu fouled. If anything you should be bashing Wu for fouling and needing to make a huge comback.

Wow. My post is still there for anyone to see i hope it’s understandable to everyone else. I could have said that it was the 25th rack or whatever, but for sure it was the final rack. A

Not once did I diminish his play. Again, that’s your narrative, not mine. Why you post like that is all you. Have fun with it. Joshua is the hottest player on the planet. He absolutely deserved the win. Nothing I said is at odds with that. I again was talking about his behavior after the final rack. But, that will get misunderstood again. Wonderful internet.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He can play some... just seems conceited to me.
Ever met a champion at ANYTHING that wasn't?? You guys act like his post match actions were planned in some way. I was watching this with about 7-8 other people and not one of us had a negative reaction to what went down.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever met a champion at ANYTHING that wasn't?? You guys act like his post match actions were planned in some way. I was watching this with about 7-8 other people and not one of us had a negative reaction to what went down.

Well yeah, one word:

EFREN