Big bucks for old production cues? Are you nuts!?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They represent a "Poor mans collectable". Few are ever going to own a Balabushka or Szamboti but they can have an old Meucci or Joss affordably.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pulled into my pool hall on a hot summer day a long time ago. I left both windows down due to the heat index and I had my old Meucci sitting in the front seat.

After talking to a few folks in the pool hall, time had slipped away from me and I started to get stressed out about the fact that my cue was sitting on the front seat of my car in plain sight and not the best end of town.

I ran out to my car to check on things and to my amazement.....there were now TWO Meuccis in the front seat.......:D

I used that joke in the 90's on Jim Buss, of course substituting his brand for Muecci.

He responded later by sending me a picture of a white butt cue that had bright orange swirls all over it with a Rhino logo on the buttcap(an Asian company decided they liked my cue name and adopted it). One sentence accompanied the email"Your design work is really improving"

You have to wake up early to get any thing over on Mr. Buss.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do know way back meuccis were the overwhelming choice of the pros, I got my first muecci in the early 90's and HATED IT, as a matter of fact out of the dozens and dozens of cues I have owned and played it is by far my least fav to this day. All a matter of opinion but this is mine.

By the early 90's, Meucci had a lot of competition, so there was a lot to compare them to, but when they first came out, they were truly innovative. Before that, the typical cues had stainless steel joints and ivory ferrules and hit like tuning forks.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the early 90's, Meucci had a lot of competition, so there was a lot to compare them to, but when they first came out, they were truly innovative. Before that, the typical cues had stainless steel joints and ivory ferrules and hit like tuning forks.

The early 90's is when I came on the scene. I had a meuccii early on. Didn't like it. Had a bunch more cues, while I still had the meucci. Didn't like it then, dont like it now - nor no where in between. Sorry. Just not my thing.

Last edited:

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just put a tip on a Huebler HA tonight, probably a late 80s cue. Both shafts and butt straight and plays pretty nice.

Used to be able to get them for 4 or 5 hundred. I'd much rather have one of these than any new production cue made today.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just put a tip on a Huebler HA tonight, probably a late 80s cue. Both shafts and butt straight and plays pretty nice.

Used to be able to get them for 4 or 5 hundred. I'd much rather have one of these than any new production cue made today.

Pretty much pointless but I got my meucci out of a huebler case at Running Out Billiards

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The early 90's is when I came on the scene. I had a meuccii early on. Didn't like it. Had a bunch more cues, while I still had the meucci. Didn't like it then, dont like it now - nor no where in between. Sorry. Just not my thing.

That's fine, but just because you didn't like them doesn't mean they weren't innovative. Lots of top players thought so back in those days and I agreed with them wholeheartedly.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cooked Spaghetti. Meucci was my second cue I owned in the early 90's also, after a cue-tek, Earl Strickland signature series! Man I did not have that cooked spaghetti cue long, and have never had one again. I entertained a thought of picking a pretty Meucci up at a pawn shop a few months ago, then reality hit me and bought myself some integrity instead.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
They represent a "Poor mans collectable". Few are ever going to own a Balabushka or Szamboti but they can have an old Meucci or Joss affordably.

So true. I always hear about sombodys old this or that, and that it's worth $x,xxx which is about 4 times the actual price lol.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have some bad news... in no particular order

1. Some people who sell things are going to "HYPE" them DUH... get over it
The point of my post is to balance out the sales pitch, which is often the only thing we hear on this site. You may very well be aware of the fact that these claims are all part of sales pitches etc..but a young, inexperienced player may actually think that these are factual posts. I just thought it might be nice to offer some balance.
2. Some vintage production cues do indeed "play" better than their current counterparts... and some don't
This is true when it comes to individual cues, but I don't believe there are systematic differences in favour of the older ones. If anything, the newer ones are often better.
3. People who are willing to pay a premium for a vintage cue may very well be
motivated by more than just how it plays
If you read my post you'd see that I actually acknowledged this. My post was purely adressing the playability claim.
4 and so on...

Dale

If you like to collect cues that were made in the thousands and were relatively inexpensive at the time of release, that is of course perfectly ok, as long as you are aware of what the facts are. As a pool player and collector of various pool related things, I can certainly understand the impulse. My views are purely about the playability of these cues, not a critique of collecting as such, even if the title of the thread may have been somewhat provacative.

I only wanted to correct the claims that there is something magical about these old cues. If you want a Joss to play with, you can buy a new one for 300 bucks instead of one for 2400 dollars:shocked2: that has been refinished (several on Ebay now)....The same goes for the other cues. New McDermotts are very nice players (especially with maple shafts) and as long as they have the 3/8*10 joint, they are in no way inferior to the old ones and so on...

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take on any old stuff is: old means cheap.
And: there is no value in something old from a certain manufacturer, but only if this piece has a certain character no other thing has.

The market fortunately is dead :grin:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
The general vote is in and it's been discussed before many times........The Schon cues from the 80's are judged as the best made Schon cues.....better than the later years.....
just search the threads about the cues that Bob Runde made versus Evan Clarke, not that Evan isn't a talented cue-maker but the Schons that Bob made just play better. The
hit feels better.......and I've compared well over 50 Schon cues over the past 30 years and the original R series of cues from Schon was outstanding.

Matt B.

That's your opinion. I found quite a variance in the "Runde" Schons (most people don't know that Evan made a lot of those so called "Runde" Schons) because of the construction techniques. Evan made the cues more consistent when he started introducing his techniques into the Schon recipe. Some people seem to think there's a mystique surrounding the older Schons. The newer ones seem to hit more consistently, from cue to cue. That's my opinion, anyways, and I have owned a lot of Schons.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take on any old stuff is: old means cheap.
And: there is no value in something old from a certain manufacturer, but only if this piece has a certain character no other thing has.

The market fortunately is dead :grin:

Not really. My wife as a hobby had a thrift store for a while. It was amazing what she would get her hands on. She sold 10 of thousands on dollars worth of stuff over the years that could have early been found on a trash pile. The value of something is a willing seller and a willing buyer. In reality, nothing is really worth anything. A chair is a chair as long as you can sit in it.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think there are absolute rules regarding value and qualities in production cues. New production cues are generally very good. But some of the older production cues were quite good, too. I wouldn’t buy an older production cue over the internet. But I would remain open-minded to any cues you can try and decide. I bought a semi-custom Joss in 1985 (production model that was ordered to my specs) and paid ~$200 for it. I don’t think I could get more than that for the cue now. The cue is still my league player, is still straight, and IMO would be a bargain for anybody if I were to sell it (which I won’t). My 1992 Meucci S/P is another old winner that won’t be sold until after I’m gone.

It might be easy to criticize production cuemakers. But I applaud anybody who contributes to keeping people excited about going back to pool halls to play pool.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the analogy of 70's-80's production cue's to 60's Muscle cars crazy increase in values. They are going to become more valuable if you have a good one.

Allot of 'Boomers' might want to go back in time and will pay for the opportunity even though the cars of today are light years ahead in performance, handling and overall value.

I like old cues. I have a beautiful 70's vintage 4 pointer ADAM that was sent out for re-finish. Builder informed me that it was produced at a time when Helmstetter was using Titleist's for blanks until his stash ran short. He wanted to buy it from me. I passed. Nice $25 Flea market find:groucho:

Have a good day,

-Kat,

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
1987-1989, about half the players in any room I went to (East Texas, Western Louisiana and Georgia) were playing with Meucci, about a third were playing with McDermott (mostly the newer D line, some C models) and the rest were a mix of Viking, Mali, etc. The Meucci Sneaky Pete was a pretty nice hitting cue IMHO, and no one thought otherwise...the rest of the line, however, another story. I saw two separate Meucci forearms (different models) SHATTER into multiple pieces, one on a break shot, the other on a firm draw stroke. This was pre-1990, so I'm not talking about the 90s models that everyone seems to agree were crap. :frown:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:sorry:

Sad...just sad.

Some of the nicest Meucci cues ever produced were in the 1990's.

Not all Meucci cues are created equal. Some are really good.

If you were unlucky and got a couple bad ones...well you were unlucky.

:thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the analogy of 70's-80's production cue's to 60's Muscle cars crazy increase in values. They are going to become more valuable if you have a good one.

Allot of 'Boomers' might want to go back in time and will pay for the opportunity even though the cars of today are light years ahead in performance, handling and overall value.

I like old cues. I have a beautiful 70's vintage 4 pointer ADAM that was sent out for re-finish. Builder informed me that it was produced at a time when Helmstetter was using Titleist's for blanks until his stash ran short. He wanted to buy it from me. I passed. Nice $25 Flea market find:groucho:

Have a good day,

-Kat,

An Adam made from Titlist blank from a "stash", implying a Brunswick blank and not an Adam made Titlist blank?

Adam made Titlist type veneer blanks. But the way you are stating it implies that the cue was made from a Brunswick made Titlist blank. That would amaze me.

I want to see it. :)

TNOriginals

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing as how this guy says Meucci Originals hit bad and are worthless.... anyone have any for sale?

I'm your sucker!!!