The White House and billiards

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found this page from the White House Museum website. The picture is from 1928(Coolidge admin.) in what is today the Map Room of the White House.:cool: It looks like a 10 footer with pockets. Click the link for a full page on the history of pool and the White House.

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/floor0/map-room.htm

Attachments

• map-room-1928-billiards.jpg
    map-room-1928-billiards.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,223

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
wow

Thanks for posting that link. I love stuff like that, and I
wish that the billiard room picture was in color, but it is very nice in B/W as well.

By the way, could we call those "White House Cues" on the rack?

EDIT: Oh yeh, that looks like a nine footer to me...

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
whitey2 said:
Thanks for posting that link. I love stuff like that, and I
wish that the billiard room picture was in color, but it is very nice in B/W as well.

By the way, could we call those "White House Cues" on the rack?

EDIT: Oh yeh, that looks like a nine footer to me...

How cool would it be to have one of those cues? I wonder what happened to them?
MULLY

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
I think there's some stuff on the Brunswick website about which presidents played pool in the white house.

They also mention there being a pool table at Camp David.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The White House Billiard Room is one of the sights on the former White House tour and was placed there by our nation's fifth President, James "Eight Ball" Monroe.

Monroe gave the special room the most use in its history since he adored pool and billiards. He would have made fine competition for former Governor "Aerosmith" Weld of Massachusetts, who once made short work at his home of Judd Rose on Prime Time Live. The wealthy Weld, first in his class at Harvard, has two beautiful pool tables in his home today.

As America's pool saga continues, hopefully whoever wins in 2008 will be able to both balls and budgets.
:D

The Smithsonian Institute has an extensive billiard collection, and it was on a temporary display a decade or so ago, but right now I think it is locked up in a Smithsonian basement.

When President Hayes moved in the White House, Mrs. Hayes did a complete renovation. "Relic hunters" came from far and wide to try to steal them a piece of the White House historical strucure that Mrs. Hayes was getting rid of from the old part of the White House being torn away, and with it went a piece of Civil War history, the pool table where General Grant spent much of his time when he was at the White House, playing pool and smoking:

With the removal of the conservatories from the West Side of the White House, one of the points of interest connected with the famous building disappears. That part of the conservatory next to the White House was formerly the billiard room of General Uylsses S. Grant where he spent much of his time in playing his favorite game and smoking...Mrs. Hayes, who was a great lover of flowers and took more interest in conservatories than has any woman since her time, had the conservatory remodeled, and the smoking and billiard room of General Grant was replaced.... -- Published in The New York Times, June 23, 1902.

Just a little White House pool smut! :p

JAM

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's this from the Brunswick website:

"From the time that John Moses Brunswick built his first billiards table back in 1845, the company he founded has remained singularly dedicated to premier design, superior craftsmanship, and uncompromising quality and performance. It is no wonder that, for more than 150 years, owning a Brunswick table has been a matter of pride and prestige.

In 1845?and the decades that followed?a billiard table was a fine status symbol. The mere presence of a table stated that you were a person of wealth and influence?because you could afford a table, you could afford a home large enough to accommodate one! But a man of influence and position had more than one reason to own a billiard table. Aside from the pure enjoyment of the game?and impressing guests?a man could complete negotiations over a friendly game of billiards. Whether commercial, political, or even military, serious issues could be discussed, and deals could be struck, over the neutral ground of a billiard table.

John Brunswick recognized that his customers were affluent and educated so he built tables that appealed to their elite and elevated tastes. In fact, it is because of this that Brunswick became the very first American brand name with true prestige.

The first real American celebrity who owned a Brunswick table was an immensely important person in American history?Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln was a self-confessed ?billiards addict.? He described the game as a ?health inspiring, scientific game, lending recreation to the otherwise fatigued mind.?

It is quite possible that critical issues of national interest?slavery, international relations and the civil war?were handled over the slate of a Brunswick table.

General George Custer also owned a Brunswick table. One can only imagine the important issues he might have discussed with other military leaders over that table.

We know of one account in the 1890s, when Buffalo Bill Cody, Texas Jack Uhumbro and Wild Bill Hickock were touring with their ?Wild West? show. While drinking in a tavern in Boston, a group of about thirty longshoremen decided to see how tough these ?Westerners? really were. Well, Hickock grabbed a pool cue, and about one minute later, there were four people left in that room?Hickock, Cody, Texas Jack, and of course, the bartender. Now, maybe it was the beautiful styling, or the craftsmanship, or the sturdy construction. But when Buffalo Bill bought billiard tables for his hotel in Cheyenne, you can be sure that night in Boston had something to do with his decision to buy Brunswicks.

The foremost captains of industry?Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, William Vanderbilt, Henry Ford, J.P. Morgan and William Randolph Hearst?all of these people owned Brunswick tables. And we can only speculate what issues were discussed, what negotiations were undertaken, and what matters were handled over a game of billiards.

Teddy Roosevelt?our Secretary of the Navy and the hero of San Juan Hill, the President of the United States and, later, a distinguished wild game hunter?owned a Brunswick table. How many of the decisions that shaped our world were reached over a Brunswick table?

Among sports figures and celebrities, Mark Twain, one of our nation?s most renowned authors, Babe Ruth, one of our great sports legends, and Humphrey Bogart, one of our greatest actors?all owned Brunswick tables. Nat King Cole, Lou Gehrig, James Dean, and of course, Frank Sinatra owned Brunswick tables.

There was a Brunswick table in the White House during the administrations of several recent presidents. And when President Eisenhower established Camp David, it was furnished with not one, but four Brunswick tables. Every President since Eisenhower?Kennedy, Nixon, Carter, Clinton?has used those tables.

A stream of notable visitors, including Winston Churchill, Nikita Krushchev, Charles de Gaulle, Anwar Sadat and King Hussein, all knew those tables. Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan were known to be pretty good players. What issues of world security, what areas of common ground, what conflicts were settled over those Brunswick tables?"

APA sleeper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
I found this page from the White House Museum website. The picture is from 1928(Coolidge admin.) in what is today the Map Room of the White House.:cool: It looks like a 10 footer with pockets. Click the link for a full page on the history of pool and the White House.

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/floor0/map-room.htm

I used to play on a ten foot brunswick table and i think it had 6 legs. still a nice picture and info. thanx

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
What a terrible way to ruin a perfectly good game! Why on earth would anyone want to spend their time on a pool table making tough decisions about the world or business? Go for it or play safe, I say!

MBTaylor

Banned
219Dave said:
I think there's some stuff on the Brunswick website about which presidents played pool in the white house.

They also mention there being a pool table at Camp David.

Let's hope that decisions aren't made by who wins a 10 ahead set....lol

joninnorfolk

Account was hacked - Pending verification
Silver Member
???

What do you suppose the box under the near end is for? Maybe for a kid or short people to stand on?

gregoryg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
President Reagan...

I have been told by a customer of mine, that was acquainted with White House Secret Service agents, that Reagan used to hustle unsuspecting employees on the White House pool table all the time.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards used as a dirty campaign tactic

In his 1828 campaign against Andrew Jackson, President John Quincy Adams was accused of being a shameless gambler simply because he had once purchased a second-hand billiard table for use of guests.

"When we find the fathers and mothers of our country ... persuading young men from practices which lead to destruction," one Jacksonian editor soberly moralized, "we greatly fear that the too frequent answer will be, 'Why, the President plays billiards!' "

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
If I was President I would want to do the opening break at the US Open. Kind of like throwing the first pitch for baseball season.
MULLY
now how cool would that be?