Does cloth speed affect throw?

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Recently a table I play on regularly had the old cloth (Some cheap felt cloth) replaced with a new cloth. The new cloth is a napless worsted type but does not appear to be Simonis 860 as I can see no signature on it anywhere. On this table with the same set of reasonably clean Super Pros I noticed at once I was getting much more throw that usual, especially on slow shots. This was in the first few weeks after cloth installation when it was exceedingly fast. As it started getting dirty and worn in normal use the throw has come back to more normal levels.

Given that the same balls are being used I can think of 2 reasons this might be happening
1) When the cloth is really fast the object ball will be able to rotate when the spinning cue ball strikes it, thus magnifying the effect of throw.
AND/OR
2) The spin applied the cue ball will wear off more slowly due to the lower friction of the cloth. Therefore when the cue ball strikes the object ball there is more spin than usual and thus more throw.

Has anyone else noticed this affect or am I just going (more) nuts?

Last edited:

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
Recently a table I play on regularly had the old cloth (Some cheap felt cloth) replaced with a new cloth. The new cloth is a napless worsted type but does not appear to be Simonis 860 as I can see no signature on it anywhere. On this table with the same set of reasonably clean Super Pros I noticed at once I was getting much more throw that usual, especially on slow shots. This was in the first few weeks after cloth installation when it was exceedingly fast. As it started getting dirty and worn in normal use the throw has come back to more normal levels.

Given that the same balls are being used I can think of 2 reasons this might be happening
1) When the cloth is really fast the object ball will be able to rotate when the spinning cue ball strikes it, thus magnifying the effect of throw.
AND/OR
2) The spin applied the cue ball will wear off more slowly due to the lower friction of the cloth. Therefore when the cue ball strikes the object ball there is more spin than usual and thus more throw.

i'm no authority on this, but i'm pretty sure it has to do with less friction on the NEW CLEAN cloth.

was it very significant? more than an inch or so on longer shots?

slower shots should produce more throw as well.

thanks

VAP

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
I think more careful observations are in order. See if you can get them to recover some more tables.

Nice idea! I never thought of appealing to them as a scientist rather than a pool player.

Bob Jewett said:

But then innocent AZB'ers would have to read what is apparently Mr. Guninger's lastest pseudonym spewing venomous drivel (I say apparently because on an public newsgroup server you can never know for sure who is posting what.)

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
i'd ask a good 3 cushion player. they are more knowledgable about these kinds of things. but are you JUST asking about a spinning CB and its affect on the directional path of an OB? cuz there's other kinds of throw.

Last edited:

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:

AND/OR

just beacause you do not see the words Simonis written on the cloth does not mean it is not 860..i recently had a new table installed and the Simonis 860 was written on it in several places but when installed it was out of site.... on some tables i have seen the installer install the cloth with the name under a cushion or in a pocket......ask the hall owner what he had installed.... good luck playing

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
cuejoey said:
just beacause you do not see the words Simonis written on the cloth does not mean it is not 860

True, and I am trying to find someone in charge who can tell me what the cloth is. Most installations of Simonis I have seen the installer is careful to make sure the signature is showing, usually on the underside face of a rail, so the customer knows they got what they paid for.

Other than the logo, I thouhght that the cloth was not Simonis as it seemed to be faster than brand new 860 on other tables I have played on. After a few weeks though it has settled down to around the same overall speed in my judgement.

One thing I know it isn't is that new Brunswick cloth with Teflon in it, as it has gotten some water stain marks already.

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
did the weave favor denim jeans slightly ?....if it did, could have been championship tour edition, have some on one table to try (guaranteed to outlast other cloth 2-to-1 or your money back),,,looks like it may outlast my other cloth 3-to-1,,,just keeps going and going,,, :D

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
... But then innocent AZB'ers would have to read what is apparently Mr. Guninger's lastest pseudonym spewing venomous drivel (I say apparently because on an public newsgroup server you can never know for sure who is posting what.)
I'm sure some here are worried about him and will be glad to know he is still alive and kicking. I thought his name was Grindinger. In any case, those not interested in what Larry Grindinger/Guninger has to say should probably avoid posts by "Mad Max" over in RSB.

BTW, Dan, how's your petard doing?