Artistic Billiards for ESPN, filming May 15, Las Vegas

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was an announcement earlier about an artistic billiards event with Semih Sayginer, Mike Massey and Eric Yow that was being filmed for ESPN. It turned out that Sayginer's federation had to have him in Turkey for training the team before a WorldCup there, and the event has been rescheduled to a new time and place. The latest info I have is that it will be in the Riviera (Top of the Riv?) on Wednesday, May 16th. Presumably it will start in the morning.

I see that a bunch if AzB'ers will be in Las Vegas for the BCAPL Nationals, and I hope you can drop by to see Sayginer. All three players need to be seen to be believed, but I think Sayginer stands out.

The competition will be pre-defined shots, similar to the regular competition in artistic billiards, but there will also be some input from judges on how well the shots were executed. A stellar set of judges has been recruited. The shots will be made without the aid of silicone lubricant.

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
There was an announcement earlier about an artistic billiards event with Semih Sayginer, Mike Massey and Eric Yow that was being filmed for ESPN. It turned out that Sayginer's federation had to have him in Turkey for training the team before a WorldCup there, and the even has been rescheduled to a new time and place. The latest info I have is that it will be in the Riviera (Top of the Riv?) on Wednesday, May 16th. Presumably it will start in the morning.

I see that a bunch if AzB'ers will be in Las Vegas for the BCAPL Nationals, and I hope you can drop by to see Sayginer. All three players need to be seen to be believed, but I think Sayginer stands out.

The competition will be pre-defined shots, similar to the regular competition in artistic billiards, but there will also be some input from judges on how well the shots were executed. A stellar set of judges has been recruited. The shots will be made without the aid of silicone lubricant.

BJ,
It definitely sounds interesting, I'll be there (barring flight problems Tuesday night). One of my friends will be judging. Hope to see you there.

P.S. - I've also heard it will be in the morning, but I don't have a definite time or location. If I find out soon, I'll post it here.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
BJ,
It definitely sounds interesting, I'll be there (barring flight problems Tuesday night). One of my friends will be judging. Hope to see you there. ...
If you get in before 6:30 on Tuesday, you can also attend the BCA Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Tickets are only $15 ($20 at the door) this year. http://www.bcahalloffame.com/

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
There was an announcement earlier about an artistic billiards event with Semih Sayginer, Mike Massey and Eric Yow that was being filmed for ESPN. ...
The filming is scheduled for 1PM in the "Top of the Riv" at the Riviera. I hope to see you there if you're not in matches down in the BCAPL Nationals.

luckylady

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
artistic pool

There is an artistic pool tournament at shooters in southington, ct. starting i think tomorrow, May3.
I believe mike massey and several of the espn level tricksters will be there.
I will try to get more exact info tonight and post for those interested

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
The filming is scheduled for 1PM in the "Top of the Riv" at the Riviera. I hope to see you there if you're not in matches down in the BCAPL Nationals.
There is a clip of Sayginer at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrsjBRjmjWE

What I wonder is how he makes the return-to-the-cushion follow shot at about 40 seconds into the clip. Note how far the first object ball is from the rail.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
What I wonder is how he makes the return-to-the-cushion follow shot at about 40 seconds into the clip. Note how far the first object ball is from the rail.

Silicone spray? I can't see how else he'd get the ball to keep spinning that long, after the topspin had already accelerated the CB into the rail once. It seems like after it hits the rail there should be no spin left otherwise, even with arguably the best stroke on the planet.

-Andrew

ericyow

WPA Masse World Champion
Silver Member
It's a whip shot, or a fouette, but you can't really tell that from the short clip. Mr. Jewett, you've seen comparable shots; it's where the cue is less than 1/4" from the object ball. Andrew is probably right about the silicone, though with new cloth and polished balls, silicone wouldn't be necessary for that shot. The stroke is shot "through" and "over" the ball, so the cue ball leaves one direction while the stick deflects another, thus evading the pervasive double-hit. And when you watch it, the white doesn't have to drill forward very far after the rail, just enough to be moving slightly forward upon hitting the long rail, then the left hand spin takes it back to the short rail.

Sounds easy, right? hehe It's not. Semih has the best stroke I've seen, for sure.

-yow!