The Difference

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes one can say oh if things were going different you wouldn't be saying this and that and blah blah blah but I don't totally agree and some things are just the way it is.
For years now I've being noticing and saying that it's the quality of the people that help to make the difference and gives that slight edge, you look and you see team europe always there right behind their team mate always supporting them then you look at the US and there's like no support even for a good shot. Then you have the guy get called on a shirt foul and still doesn't tuck his shirt in the rest of the whole set.
At this point who knows what the formula is but you can't depend on rolls going your way and need to find a solid solution. You can't even rely on just watching a good match now as it always a head shaking moment every set.

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
When's the last time two Americans played in the final of the US Open 9 ball championship, or the American who did was not named SVB?

When's the last time a US player was an international champion at ANY discipline?

What was Mark Wilson's interview at the start of the cup? "We're going to try not to suck this year." direct quote. Pool in America is leaderless, directionless, and without a purpose. It has been in decline since the Rotterdam tie on the Mosconi Cup level.

This is bigger than a team sport issue or what have you. The culture and spirit of pool is on decline in the US overall and on the rise in Europe and Asia.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO in pool as in lots of other things, you have evolution.
For some reason the rest of the world plays 9 ball one way, and the Americans play it their way. Or should I say how it used to be played.
In Europe and Asia just about everything is played with 9 on the spot.
Just about everything is magic rack or tapped table.
NEVER is it 'cue ball fouls only' -pathetic amateur rule imo
Everything on 9ft tables.
....This is only 3 or 4 things. Doesn't matter if you agree with the rules or not, start playing the same game every week as everyone else.....Surely this would help.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool in the U.S., compared to rest of world, is DEAD. DEADER than Hula-Hoop. Just the way it is. Deal with it, move on.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well..,

For some reason the rest of the world plays 9 ball one way, and the Americans play it their way. Or should I say how it used to be played.
....This is only 3 or 4 things. Doesn't matter if you agree with the rules or not, start playing the same game every week as everyone else.....Surely this would help.

I don't think any of that matters, put the 9 ball anywhere, magic rack or not. The players in the USA don't display any discipline or dedication to the game and you aren't going to beat Professionals with a amateur approach.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When's the last time two Americans played in the final of the US Open 9 ball championship, or the American who did was not named SVB?

When's the last time a US player was an international champion at ANY discipline?

What was Mark Wilson's interview at the start of the cup? "We're going to try not to suck this year." direct quote. Pool in America is leaderless, directionless, and without a purpose. It has been in decline since the Rotterdam tie on the Mosconi Cup level.

This is bigger than a team sport issue or what have you. The culture and spirit of pool is on decline in the US overall and on the rise in Europe and Asia.

I was initially shocked. Then, I realized that the truth hurts sometimes.

It's more basic than that. Look at how they cue! :yikes:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Yes one can say oh if things were going different you wouldn't be saying this and that and blah blah blah but I don't totally agree and some things are just the way it is.
For years now I've being noticing and saying that it's the quality of the people that help to make the difference and gives that slight edge, you look and you see team europe always there right behind their team mate always supporting them then you look at the US and there's like no support even for a good shot. Then you have the guy get called on a shirt foul and still doesn't tuck his shirt in the rest of the whole set.
At this point who knows what the formula is but you can't depend on rolls going your way and need to find a solid solution. You can't even rely on just watching a good match now as it always a head shaking moment every set.

Well, the team aspect certainly has it's importance, and I think team USA is very lacking in that regard. I don't think Mark Wilson was a good choice as a team captain, to be honest. Watch how Marcus always manages to get a smile on his teammembers faces, backing them up at every turn. That's how to lead a team. Keeping positive is the way to go in situations like these. Mark Wilson may have a lot of experience with coaching etc, but these players don't need coaching. They need encouragement and leadership from someone they like and respect. Mark Wilson...well I haven't looked so much at him this event, but at the others he looked either aloof or like someone who accidentally ran his own dog over on his way to the dentist..If you are going to lead, it's imperative to not show weakness in front of your men, and to smile and keep positive in the face of adversity. That SEAL he keeps dragging with him, and who's texting on his phone:rolleyes:, should have taught him that. That statement about trying not to suck...Worst statement ever. Come to win, or stay home and get someone who will to go in your stead.

All that being said, this event, though I still enjoy it, is in desperate need of changes, if the US side is going to be competitive. I don't see you winning one of these for many years to come. Europe can probably get 3-4 full teams that would crush you, even without any of the players on the current team. The players on the European team just have better temperaments for competitions such as these, and their fundamentals are way ahead of the Americans.

The one American I do have high hopes for is Bergman. If he can get some international competition under his belt, he may be able to be a contender. Shane just can't seem to get it together in this event. I seriously think he should be dropped for the next one. He doesn't seem like he's enjoying it at all, anyway. Maybe if you get Shaw as well, it would be more exciting.

Morris is naturally talented, but he's getting old. He may still have one more cup in him, but I doubt there will be many more. Dechaine is cueing crooked! I noticed it several times. You can't get away with that in this event. No time to dial in an imperfect stroke.

Last edited: