Who is Ko Pin-YI?

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard a lot about Ko Pin-Yi as being the World's best 10 ball player yet he lost to Mark Gray at the World Pool Masters? Just wondering whats up with that?:grin:

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not so sure...

Its extremely rare for a "TOP" World Champion to lose to a much lesser player in a race to 8 at a prestige event such as the World Pool Masters. Not to mention that the underdog beat Ko Pin-Yi convincingly 8-5?:eek:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its extremely rare for a "TOP" World Champion to lose to a much lesser player in a race to 8 at a prestige event such as the World Pool Masters. Not to mention that the underdog beat Ko Pin-Yi convincingly 8-5?:eek:

1st, it 9-ball race to 8, and 1 match didn't mean anything
2nd, you don't know Mark Gray, he's as good as anybody, he kicked red-white-blue asses during the last MC Cup.
3rd, Ko Pin Yi beat Shane in a challenge match with over 20k side bet last year and is the reigning world 10-ball champion, so please...:rolleyes:.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mark Gray was the #1 ranked player on the Eurotour in 2014. It's an upset, but not a huge upset. Ko Pin Yi did play poorly, though.

With wins at the Japan Open, the World 10-ball, and the US Open 10-ball, and a win over SVB in a race to 21 all in the last two years, Ko Pin Yi has little left to prove.

Well played, Mark Gray. End of story.

Pryme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Between good players hard to say whoever played better on the day. However Ko is one of my fav players to watch.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said!

1st, it 9-ball race to 8, and 1 match didn't mean anything
2nd, you don't know Mark Gray, he's as good as anybody, he kicked red-white-blue asses during the last MC Cup.
3rd, Ko Pin Yi beat Shane in a challenge match with over 20k side bet last year and is the reigning world 10-ball champion, so please...:rolleyes:.

Mark can beat anybody on any given day, he's a player.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think shane was first to 8 against ko when they raced to 21 playing 10b too. That was great for shane moneywise.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard a lot about Ko Pin-Yi as being the World's best 10 ball player yet he lost to Mark Gray at the World Pool Masters? Just wondering whats up with that?:grin:

I know, he should quit pool and maybe get a job cleaning windows before he loses twice in one year or something crazy like that.

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first had a similar reaction to Watchez and even wondered if the post was a joke. Then I thought if the op is used to bar tournaments that are race to 1, he might view a race to 8 as a marathon where the better player is a lock. Food for thought.

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
has he won the U.S. Open?

Ok so what but the toughest tourney is the U.S. Open which Shane has won at least 3 times and Earl Strickland 5 times so until Ko can venture out of his comfort zone and play his top game and win the U.S. Open I won't consider him at the level of a Efren Reyes ok.:D

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so what but the toughest tourney is the U.S. Open which Shane has won at least 3 times and Earl Strickland 5 times so until Ko can venture out of his comfort zone and play his top game and win the U.S. Open I won't consider him at the level of a Efren Reyes ok.:D

As life time accomplishments he still has a ways to go and since these guys don't seem to play into thier later yrs he probably won't achieve that status ,
I still think Earls top gear was right there with Ko people forget just how good Earl was in his prime

molinatx4206

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread hurts my brain.

American Europeans that watch billiards have no idea of the talent abroad. Ko is a beast and look out for lil lil ko. The youngest of them all. Match up world teams and Taiwan is second to the pinoys by a small margin.