Struggles with english

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I struggle a lot making the ball when using english. I'm somewhat familiar deflection (squirt) and throw but it's difficult to adjust my aim to account for both. Variables like speed, bridge length, distance, etc. all seem to come into play causing me to miss or to avoid using english when I should. Other than hitting a million balls, are there any tips to using english that can help? I generally use 'parallel' english as it seems most natural to me and use a solid maple shaft.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Move the aiming point on the object ball "slightly" in the direction of the throw depending on the English you're using. Then hit a million balls! :grin:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I struggle a lot making the ball when using english. I'm somewhat familiar deflection (squirt) and throw but it's difficult to adjust my aim to account for both. Variables like speed, bridge length, distance, etc. all seem to come into play causing me to miss or to avoid using english when I should. Other than hitting a million balls, are there any tips to using english that can help? I generally use 'parallel' english as it seems most natural to me and use a solid maple shaft.

All seriousness, I would suggest starting out with short shots (distance between OB and cue ball) and use 1/2 tip bottom left or right and just observe how the ball reacts. Then when you are comfortable with that, use more distance and/or more english. The principle is to learn by small fundamental steps. Allow your mind to understand what is happening.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learning to apply left and right spin on the cue ball to get positioning is the biggest transition a newer advancing player will ever have to make in their game, while still keeping the shotmaking accuracy to pocket the shot. There is no substitute for trial and error practice time when going through this learning process. I thought I was using parallel english for applying spin, but realized after many years I am actually using backhand english when adjusting my aim when applying spin to the cue ball.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I aim differently from a basis where my aiming perceptions point to the pocket. In this technique when you get to where you need to make allowances for Side Spin the allowances make a lot more sense. At least they do to me so I wrote the material that I did and is a plan for all of it. All of it takes practice. My point is that when you know what to practice and how to practice based on common sense and what to look for, that journey to perfection can be shorter. All of this stuff is subjective and one way may speak louder to you than other ways. My way is mapped out from beginning to end. Good luck to you.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
There is no substitute for trial and error practice time...

Agreed...you must develop feel and that is only done by repetition. So yeah, hit a million balls. There are no short cuts, but if you want to buy one, I have one for sale!

Last edited:

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is your centerball play?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) Start off with straight in shots, using the same distance between object ball and cue ball, same english offset and same speed and bridge length.

Once you are consistently keeping the cue ball, post contact with the object ball in the same line with the object ball and pocket, you then have the correct aiming adjustment for that distance/ speed and cue. Remember it (or write it down). There are several ways to track the adjustments. Here is a one from Dr. Dave (his whole FAQs on english is worthy of a read)

https://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/file/BHE-FHE_calibration.pdf

2) Change the speed and repeat.

3) Change the distance (add a diamond distance between cue ball and object ball) and repeat 1 and 2.

Writing down the adjustments at each diamond difference allows you to come back to the next practice session on the same table and have accurate results quicker.

Notes -

1) These adjustments will apply for a specific cue. Changing cues can make a big difference.

2) Table (cloth) and ball (clean, dirty) conditions have a small effect that you need to be aware of when using different ones.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best advice I could give......only use English on shots of less than 4ft, use centerball hits if further away.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is your centerball play?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

I manage OK centerball, have a few straight pool runs in the twenties under my belt. Stroke and aim can for sure be improved but I think it's using english better that's mostly holding me back. Spinning the ball into a good position for my opponent is frustrating (as I sit down).

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Attachments

• saws.jpg
    saws.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 457

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

How many years have you been playing and how many hours a week do you hit balls?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I struggle a lot making the ball when using english. I'm somewhat familiar deflection (squirt) and throw but it's difficult to adjust my aim to account for both. Variables like speed, bridge length, distance, etc. all seem to come into play causing me to miss or to avoid using english when I should. Other than hitting a million balls, are there any tips to using english that can help?

Aim Compensation When Using Sidespin

NV J.9 - "Got English?" – How to Aim Using Sidespin, With Game-Situation Examples

Adjusting Aim for Throw

System for Aiming With Sidespin (SAWS)

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're struggling with using english there can only be a few reasons:

1. You don't fully understand the physics of the shot (deflection, throw, swerve, etc.) and therefore aren't aiming correctly.

2. You have a flawed stroke limiting you from delivering the cue ball to your aiming point.

3. You have a flawed stroke and are not contacting the cue ball where you think you are.

In all likeliness, it's all three to some extent. The above diagnosis can actually be applied at any shot.

One thing I've learned with this game is that no matter how good of a stroke you have, you always need to be looking for ways to improve it. Constantly evaluate your fundamentals and seek perfection. Even when you have achieved perfection keep pushing for a better stroke. The rest will follow.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Try playing with pivoting rather than parallel english. Patrick Johnson linked to Dr. Dave's full system, and here's a shorter summary video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXJoFOLZZE , and a more recent one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG29YjLC7aM .

I bet with a regular deflection shaft you can get pretty far just using a back-hand pivot. Aim straight, then pivot by moving the butt of the cue to put english on the cue ball. I've gotten tons of chicks that way.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I've been playing about 10 years with a couple 1 year breaks. When playing, typically around 8 hours play, 10 hours practice a week.

Have you ever had an instructor teach you? Do you feel you have rock solid fundamentals? If you have any flaws within your stance, weight, bridges, swing movement and such your beating a dead horse. You've chosen thee most difficult game on the planet to master, your fundamentals must be in place to move forward, unless your playing 40 hours a week and gambling, then your forced to improve or quit, or go broke.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever had an instructor teach you? Do you feel you have rock solid fundamentals? If you have any flaws within your stance, weight, bridges, swing movement and such your beating a dead horse. You've chosen thee most difficult game on the planet to master, your fundamentals must be in place to move forward, unless your playing 40 hours a week and gambling, then your forced to improve or quit, or go broke.

I've spent about 6 hours with Scott Lee on fundamentals (and some other stroke doctors like Alex Lely). I also use the QMD3 Stroke Trainer (which I invented, initially for myself) a lot to check up on my stroke so I'm pretty confident it's straight and I'm hitting the ball where I intend. I can roll in those center ball hits, but put on some spin and they don't go in.