Things that bother me

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
To be clear it doesn't bother me except if you are going to start a thread complaining about the improper use of the English language you probably need to use correct English in your post - like capitalizing a proper noun.

I've known a few chicks that didn't deserve capitalization....
....they might've been nouns....
...but they weren't proper.

:)

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve gotten past being annoyed at misspellings by “Real Eyes”-ing (dubious, thankfully gone CJ coinage) that it’s a losing battle, because of the onset of social media message compression and ensuing language-mangling.

Worthy of its own blog (or thread somewhere) is this now-unavoidable *aural* nuisance: the ghastly, ever-increasing “let me gather my thoughts under pressure” filler phrase "you know". It is continually -- unconsciously -- belched at us by seemingly educated talking heads on every cable news channel (and will be annoyingly heard during most footage of on-camera politicians from any part of the political spectrum).

I sometimes joke that if the odious “you know” phrase were magically edited out of all television footage, 24-hour cable news broadcasting would last for only about 18 minutes each day.

I once read that Caroline Kennedy reflexively injected “you know” 147 times during a 15-minute taped interview – a rate not atypical of many celebrity interviews, especially those featuring actors who are more at home with scripted words rather than extemporaneous ones.

End of rant.

Arnaldo

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Worthy of its own blog (or thread somewhere) is this now-unavoidable *aural* nuisance: the ghastly, ever-increasing “let me gather my thoughts under pressure” filler phrase "you know". It is continually -- unconsciously -- belched at us by seemingly educated talking heads on every cable news channel (and will be annoyingly heard during most footage of on-camera politicians from any part of the political spectrum).

I sometimes joke that if the odious “you know” phrase were magically edited out of all television footage, 24-hour cable news broadcasting would last for only about 18 minutes each day.

I once read that Caroline Kennedy reflexively injected “you know” 147 times during a 15-minute taped interview – a rate not atypical of many celebrity interviews, especially those featuring actors who are more at home with scripted words rather than extemporaneous ones.

End of rant.

Arnaldo

I know, right.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please add 'I seen' to the list...it's like fingernails on a chalk board...

I see it, you see it, we see it, they see it..

I saw it, you saw it, we saw it, they saw it...

I will see it, you will see it, we will see it, they will see it..

..wait for it...

I have seen it, you have seen it, we have seen it, they have seen it..

I didn't seen it, you didn't seen it, we didn't seen it, they didn't seen it..

Nobody seen it:eek:

..jesusfknchrist:grin:

..are there still chalkboards in classrooms?

..has one been seen in recent years? (couldn't help it;))

Oh yeah...how about the last friggin-possible-moment lane changers that hover in the adjacent lane, stalling traffic, and then, when an opportunity presents itself,(in part, I blame courteous drivers, that let them in) dart into the off ramp lane. Everybody else has been in line, in that lane for 1/2 mile..but they, usually in their fine luxury automobile, have not that waiting mindset, because they are special.:angry:

pickngrin

Oh yeah...how about the last friggin-possible-moment lane changers that hover in the adjacent lane, stalling traffic, and then, when an opportunity presents itself,(in part, I blame courteous drivers, that let them in) dart into the off ramp lane. Everybody else has been in line, in that lane for 1/2 mile..but they, usually in their fine luxury automobile, have not that waiting mindset, because they are special.:angry:

In California they're called dive bombers. Really annoying. Two more English language annoyances: their/there/they're and lose/loose.