Pocket modification ideas

asiasdad

Banned
While I've got the rails off, I thought I may go one additional step....

I've a 10 year old at home, and I come home from work usually after she is asleep, and hitting balls into those Cincaro plastic pockets connected to a late 50's era Sport King. A solid shot into the heart of the pocket leaves a pretty loud noise...

so does anyone have a suggestion on a good replacement pocket (like hard leather) that would fit those Sport King castings, and perhaps not stick out over the castings as bad as the plastic ones?

Also any mounting support ideas to fortify the pocket as those screws in the sides just do not appear to be all that solid.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
asiasdad said:
While I've got the rails off, I thought I may go one additional step....

I've a 10 year old at home, and I come home from work usually after she is asleep, and hitting balls into those Cincaro plastic pockets connected to a late 50's era Sport King. A solid shot into the heart of the pocket leaves a pretty loud noise...

so does anyone have a suggestion on a good replacement pocket (like hard leather) that would fit those Sport King castings, and perhaps not stick out over the castings as bad as the plastic ones?

Also any mounting support ideas to fortify the pocket as those screws in the sides just do not appear to be all that solid.

Put a rubber backing in the back of the pocket, this will reduce the noise there, and put sock or any peice of cloth in the bottom of the pocket, this will also reduce noise.

Craig

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are foam paddings you can use too.

Also a suggestion while you have your rails off. If you are looking to make your pockets a lot tighter. Say coming from 5 and 1/4 to 4 and 1/2 or smaller. Putting a BIG shim/facing will usually leave a dead hit inside the pocket.

However your mechanic can take a thick shimming and cut it to profile. But cut it so the cushion can continue over it. Then glue that down. Then extend the rubber and cut it to profile. Then put a regular facing and you'll have a good bounce in the pocket compared to a dead bounce.

asiasdad

Banned
smittie1984 said:
There are foam paddings you can use too.

Also a suggestion while you have your rails off. If you are looking to make your pockets a lot tighter. Say coming from 5 and 1/4 to 4 and 1/2 or smaller. Putting a BIG shim/facing will usually leave a dead hit inside the pocket.

However your mechanic can take a thick shimming and cut it to profile. But cut it so the cushion can continue over it. Then glue that down. Then extend the rubber and cut it to profile. Then put a regular facing and you'll have a good bounce in the pocket compared to a dead bounce.
Thanks for the foam idea Smittie,

My pockets are already at 4 3/8 with the corners cut at 38 degrees. I can slam a ball down the rail from any direction with my hand and they just drop in.

I was wondering if changing the pockets to a formed leather would help reduce some noise.