Have you ever run across..

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
someone who can make just about every shot at or near breaking speed,even with extreme spin, but can't slow it down without missing, some shots by a mile? I will at worst jaw it out at high speed. What could I be doing differently at slower speeds, other than trying to be too perfect with position?
I know!!! I'm a freekin' nut case!!!!!
I slam them and they just go in. It makes no sense to me!!

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contrary to popular belief, the game of billiards was invented by the devil himself. ;)

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do the same thing my taboe has 4 inch pockets and i can fire shots in at break speed but when i go to a local room and try and play a med stroke shot for the shape i end up ratteling the pocket somehow i think when i try and shoot soft or med speed i seem to get a waver in mt stroke for some reason

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are probably on to something. :( I know I have a pretty good stroke if I can shoot hard and make balls. I just can't play pool.

In all seriousness though, you might stay down longer using a hard stroke or could be steering the cue when you use a soft or medium stroke. It could also be a matter of confidence. Have the feeling that you just know the ball is going in if you hit it hard vs some doubt at slower speeds. Get someone to watch you or make a video playing the same shots with different stroke speeds and see if any differences in your stroke can be observed.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
break speed

Keep in mind that when you strike a shot firm, (CIT) collosion induced throw is greatly reduced. If you have trained your aim to sight the shot based on a firm hit, then you will get a slightly different line to the pocket with a medium or soft hit because throw is now a greater factor.

Also, if you have imperfections in your stroke, they will often be amplified when you slow it down.

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All good points! This game makes me nutz. Did I ever say that before? :embarrassed2:

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banging balls.

someone who can make just about every shot at or near breaking speed,even with extreme spin, but can't slow it down without missing, some shots by a mile? I will at worst jaw it out at high speed. What could I be doing differently at slower speeds, other than trying to be too perfect with position?
I know!!! I'm a freekin' nut case!!!!!
I slam them and they just go in. It makes no sense to me!!

You are probably letting your stroke out when slamming balls. When you slow roll balls it's much like putting in golf. Totally different stroke. Try shooting spot shots on a snooker table with good speed. Ten shots. Now slow roll ten shots. I would guess best results with speed! Warp speed is fun but never correct. IMO a player shoots with 3 speeds. High speed (not warp) necessary occasionally, medium (most shots), and slow (pocket speed). That medium shot is your bread and butter shot. If you really want to enhance your speed control, play one pocket. Great learning game, but not for beginners.

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are probably letting your stroke out when slamming balls. When you slow roll balls it's much like putting in golf. Totally different stroke. Try shooting spot shots on a snooker table with good speed. Ten shots. Now slow roll ten shots. I would guess best results with speed! Warp speed is fun but never correct. IMO a player shoots with 3 speeds. High speed (not warp) necessary occasionally, medium (most shots), and slow (pocket speed). That medium shot is your bread and butter shot. If you really want to enhance your speed control, play one pocket. Great learning game, but not for beginners.

Nothing gets me OUT of stroke like 1 pocket! :grin-square:
By the time I get a real shot, lol, I forget how to shoot it! :grin:

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket!

Nothing gets me OUT of stroke like 1 pocket! :grin-square:
By the time I get a real shot, lol, I forget how to shoot it! :grin:

Absolutely! I love one pocket but had to back off for just that reason. I mentioned this to a great player the other day. He told me if you play a really good one pocket player this problem of not making your ducks will disappear completely! You will never ever miss a clear open shot! You will never get a clear open shot against a great one hole player. Problem solved. Play all games. Don't give up on one hole. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It's a journey!

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
I would bet your preshot routine or your thought process is different on the two types of shots.

When you fire the balls I bet you think very little. You just get down and react or fire the ball in. When you are playing shape I bet there is a lot more going on in your mind.

A solid and repeatable pre shot routine (including eye patterns) can help you "react" more instead of thinking too much while your shooting.

ALL thinking is done while standing up. Once your down you should just be executing what you have decided to do. Tis is probably what you do when you just get down and fire.

Brett Lee has a kindle book out that actually covers this process very well.

Woody