Classic Joss

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Ebony into birdseye, flawless restoration by Dan Axe. If anyone needs a cue cleaned up, he's your man. He described his process of working the shafts as "making them slicker than snot" and that's an understatement. Every part of this cue is dead flush, and silky smooth from head to toe. Thanks so much, Dan!

13mm and 12.75mm shafts, Moori Ruby tips, all parts original except the wrap and micarta ferrules. The old wrap was dried and crusted beyond repair and it's too pretty, and too solid, to let it idle in a case. I will be taking it to the hall for a spin.

Attachments

• IMG_20160411_111004.jpg
    IMG_20160411_111004.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 955
  • IMG_20160411_110941.jpg
    IMG_20160411_110941.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_20160411_110924.jpg
    IMG_20160411_110924.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_20160411_111019.jpg
    IMG_20160411_111019.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,055
Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
This is a beautiful and unusual Joss. Usually in the point veneers, the white or maple veneer would be on the inside, next to the main ebony point. In this case, the white veneer is on the outside, next to the outer black veneer. I don't think I've seen another Joss like this. Very nice. I would put it at early to mid 70s?

All the best,
WW

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This is a beautiful and unusual Joss. Usually in the point veneers, the white or maple veneer would be on the inside, next to the main ebony point. In this case, the white veneer is on the outside, next to the outer black veneer. I don't think I've seen another Joss like this. Very nice. I would put it at early to mid 70s?

All the best,
WW

18 pin, so 69-70? I know they only used them for a few months. It is the slant logo of the Stroud era. The veneers are Titlist colors, just modified order. I found it very striking. Hits the ball sweet. I installed a redder original KU bumper, it's nice with the phenolic bumper, but even better with the rubber. Just hits it like silk. Easy spin and just responds well.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
18 pin, so 69-70? I know they only used them for a few months. It is the slant logo of the Stroud era. The veneers are Titlist colors, just modified order. I found it very striking. Hits the ball sweet. I installed a redder original KU bumper, it's nice with the phenolic bumper, but even better with the rubber. Just hits it like silk. Easy spin and just responds well.

Oh I know you're just reveling like a pig in the cool mud in mid July. :grin:

The phenolic is a nice novelty, but the KU looks right and honestly should play right IMHO. As you say, silky. A Joss like that should have a sufficient "ping" with a rubber bumper, without it might be harsh. I Have never tried mine without the bumper, but you inspired me. I'll post my feelings when I try it.

Definitely an early Joss. And those veneers absolutely rock. The cue needs nothing and I am glad they thought so when it was built. I would take this over most fancier early Joss cues hands down.

I am officially envious. :grin:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member

No, no logo in 69-70, I'd say 72-73 considering logo, slant, rings. The most unusual veneers I've ever seen on a Joss, I've never seen another like it & thought I'd seen most. Really an amazing cue.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
No, no logo in 69-70, I'd say 72-73 considering logo, slant, rings. The most unusual veneers I've ever seen on a Joss, I've never seen another like it & thought I'd seen most. Really an amazing cue.
Er, they have the super early logo in 68, slant logo 69-72, block/box logo 72-80...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Er, they have the super early logo in 68, slant logo 69-72, block/box logo 72-80...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I stand corrected then. I had a 69 & 70 I purchased from Tim Scruggs years ago from his personal collection & neither had logos. I based my earlier comment on this. If incorrect I apologize.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some slight variations in the logos through the early years. Generally it is as Ideologist laid out I think. Though the earlier you go the more exceptions you will find I think. Generally speaking the logo got "messy" for a while after Stroud left. Janes had to learn how to engrave it, Stroud had done it in the beginning. Certainly Stroud engraved that logo I think.

I am aware that some of the earliest cues had no logo. But I don't know how many nor for how long.

One thing that is nice about Joss is that they did start marking the cues pretty early and they standardized their dimensions and construction as they went along. Generally you can screw a shaft from a modern Joss on a block letter Joss and it should fit perfectly. Exceptions to that? Cues like this. It has an 18 pin and they didn't do many. They also did 3/8x10 pins, but again, not many.

The veneers on this Joss are striking. Combine that with the 18 pin and it makes for a spectacular example of this type of cue. Add to that a superb refinish and you have a piece of history that is a seriously beautiful cue and a real player.

No matter what your taste in cues might be, it's hard to beat this.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I like it...:thumbup:

Thanks Tom!

Here's the bump(er) since this thread is on top again. I need to wipe off the bumper and delrin for the photoshoot when I inevitably sell her. I love the Bushka-style 'burnt siena' KU bumpers.

Attachments

• IMG_20160412_172550_01.jpg
    IMG_20160412_172550_01.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 249