Looking for a special table light

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9' table that is also a dining table. For reference a shot is below that shows it both ways. In my current house I have cans in the ceiling with eyeballs that light it reasonably well. I am moving. The new house is styled differently, and the room will be a lot smaller, so that the table will be the primary thing in the room. But it also must be a dining room.

I do not want a "classic" style light over it, as that will look a bit silly as a dining table. I also think I want a great big fan in the ceiling, up high (this is Florida), and do not want the light to shine through it, so I am thinking not to put lights in cans for it.

Here's what I am thinking: Put in a fan with light hookup below (the house is pre-wired for that anyway). Find a fixture that will then mount in the fan, hang down a foot or two, and be a long, modern looking .... something... with nice bright (dimmable) LED's that I can use for pool or for dining.

I am finding a few, like this:

https://www.houzz.com/product/31944821-ram-gameroom-54-3-shade-billiard-fixture-contemporary-pool-table-lights

that look like the right concept, at least I think I could mount that on a fan (would need a bit of mating-up work perhaps, but the point is that it's a single point of attachment).

And a couple of wild looking ones like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Stepless-Dimmable-Chandeliers-Pendant-Lights/dp/B07LDT11TM/ref=sr_1_14?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1546207943&sr=1-14&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A5676449011

But nothing much I really like. Has anyone run across something of this ilk? A supplier that might have interesting choices?

By the way, worst case I give up on the fan, that gives more options for the ceiling mount, but I still want something that would be higher and less like a "pool light" that would still be a good pool light?

Here's the table for context. This is the old house; so ignore the colors and style there, in fact I'll probably change cloth color as well when I move to be a colder color - lots of grey and stainless and cool colors in the new place.

Thanks in advance,

Linwood

Dual%20Use%20-%20DualUse-M.jpg

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should consider a diamond table light.
Have them hake it of the wood grain in the current table (rather than taking one from stock)
Then have the installer install it on 4 pulley/hooks where you can have all 4 corners of the light on a cable so you an raise and lower the light depending on the use of the table that moment. Lower for playing pool, higher and less conspicuous for dinner.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@MitchAlsup - thanks, but it's too pool-table-like I think. But I'll consider it.

@pt109 - Hmm... that's quite an interesting look. 2800 lm sounds adequate as well. It's a bit shorter than I would like, less than 4' on a 9' area, though; I think the ends of the table would have a lot of shadow. But very encouraging to know such things exist.

I've also been searching and found a bunch of similar things here: https://www.lumens.com/shop/pool-table-lighting/

I do not think any there actually work, as most (all?) are only 4' long or so. I'm starting to wonder if I can ever get something long enough like this (i.e. not made for a pool table) that hangs in one point. But that and the one you linked give me some hope.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
@MitchAlsup - thanks, but it's too pool-table-like I think. But I'll consider it.

@pt109 - Hmm... that's quite an interesting look. 2800 lm sounds adequate as well. It's a bit shorter than I would like, less than 4' on a 9' area, though; I think the ends of the table would have a lot of shadow. But very encouraging to know such things exist.

I've also been searching and found a bunch of similar things here: https://www.lumens.com/shop/pool-table-lighting/

I do not think any there actually work, as most (all?) are only 4' long or so. I'm starting to wonder if I can ever get something long enough like this (i.e. not made for a pool table) that hangs in one point. But that and the one you linked give me some hope.

Lotta interesting lights in that selection.
Whichever one you chose.....have a dimmer...so you can brighten it for pool........
...and dim it to sip amusing wine...:)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'd get the wife involved. It appears the light fixture will be more than 36'' above the eating surface. Make sure when the fixture is 4 or 5 feet above the play surface, there's No big shadows under the cushions.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@pt109, dimmer, definitely - and not sure if wine is amusing, but people having sipped enough wine playing pool is definitely a source of merriment.

@Scott Lee - no, nearby in Ft. Myers. But probably so. Hectic time the next few months getting in new home and selling the current, maybe spring sometime if you are down this way. Not even sure when we are moving the table, I think we may leave it where it is until we sell that house, as some staging furniture is appropriate and it will leave a big empty spot otherwise.