Is the WPA helping organize a COVID response?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
There was a nice campaign to push for olympics.

Any movement by the WPA?

Social distancing during a pool match is pretty easy.

Is playing billiards in a public place considered high risk or low risk?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Social distancing does not eliminate the opportunity for airborne infection from player to player,
nor does it eliminate contact with common surfaces like the equipment itself, ex., rails, balls, cloth,
etc. I suppose players could try wearing masks and gloves but that’s never 100%. And what about
the potential liability if a player, or some other employee at the venue, that had not been ill contracts
the virus, became sick and dies. You know there will be a lawsuit from wrongful death or careless actions.
The reality is this virus is changing our world and it is not returning to what we were accustomed to any
time soon, if at all. September 11th dramatically changed our lifestyle and this event is bigger and worse.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many people who went to the CSI Nationals came home sick. I do know there was some, including Warren Kiamco.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a nice campaign to push for olympics.

Any movement by the WPA?

Social distancing during a pool match is pretty easy.

Is playing billiards in a public place considered high risk or low risk?
Are you playing in any WPA events? If so contact Gre Leevers at WPA and ask him. If not i wouldn't worry about it. Doubt they're playing anything until fall at the earliest.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The world has changed

I can't give you any more rep but this is spot on. Covid-19 is something we
are going to have to deal with and people need to start talking about how they are
going to do it. I won't be playing pool on any tables that aren't properly disinfected.
Players are all over the cloth, rails etc. and their breath is hitting the cloth. You better
have a good idea of how socially distant your opponent is before you take the
chance on a superspreader. It's a sad thing but the world has sort of stopped and
that's a reality.

Social distancing does not eliminate the opportunity for airborne infection from player to player,
nor does it eliminate contact with common surfaces like the equipment itself, ex., rails, balls, cloth,
etc. I suppose players could try wearing masks and gloves but that’s never 100%. And what about
the potential liability if a player, or some other employee at the venue, that had not been ill contracts
the virus, became sick and dies. You know there will be a lawsuit from wrongful death or careless actions.
The reality is this virus is changing our world and it is not returning to what we were accustomed to any
time soon, if at all. September 11th dramatically changed our lifestyle and this event is bigger and worse.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't give you any more rep but this is spot on. Covid-19 is something we
are going to have to deal with and people need to start talking about how they are
going to do it. I won't be playing pool on any tables that aren't properly disinfected.
Players are all over the cloth, rails etc. and their breath is hitting the cloth. You better
have a good idea of how socially distant your opponent is before you take the
chance on a superspreader. It's a sad thing but the world has sort of stopped and
that's a reality.
Cleaning doesnt matter, if there are active players on the same table and one is a carrier.