Simple Shots

kyootie

Registered
How long do you think it takes a person to learn how to simply pocket pool balls without any ball control.

Kind like shots with a lot of green between them, or simple cut shots.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
learn to have a stroke that makes the cue ball go where you are aiming and you will pocket more balls
unintentional spin throws balls off and causes you not to hit what you are aiming at
jmho

kyootie

Registered
Ok, everyone get's what you are saying. Everyone in the world knows the answer you provided and that was not my question!! And why WTF does everyone think you can go into ball control before learning to hit basic shots with some consistency.

You don't just jump right into ball control after learning a stance. You need to learn to learn to learn to hit basic shots. Maybe a little top spin or draw before you do something advance like that. I want to punch people who think they can go from learning a stance to ball control. Hell just being able to hit simple shots with consistency makes you better than most bar players.

Maybe you did not understand my question. How long do you think it should to be able to pocket basic shots with some consistency.

Read my question again

Last edited:

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
How long do you think it takes a person to learn how to simply pocket pool balls without any ball control.

Depending on how much you play and how disciplined you are.

You need to set up and shoot the same shots over and over until you are consistent.

If you already have a straight stroke with good visual alignment and good basics, then a few hundred successful reps for each shot should do it.

Check out ZeroX Billiards videos.

plainbutt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varies with the individual. I know a bar maid that started playing at 19 and in 3 months was beating the pants off of 70% of the regular players but she had one of the top players schooling her daily.

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a person has a naturally straight stroke and their vision is naturally aligned with their stroke when assuming their natural stance, then it won't take too long at all. Unfortunately, the number of people who do all those things naturally is quite small.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The answer to this question is completely dependent on the players talent level. Just assuming 1 hour per day and decent instruction available, a really talented beginner can knock balls in from anywhere, any angle, in a few weeks. A player with very little talent could take 6 months or more. Not the easiest question to answer the way you worded it.

RingKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO
80 Hours.

One month of consistent practice at least 20 hours a week should get most people with an average level of eye hand coordination pocketing more than they miss.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends a lot on how often you get to play. If you play 20 hours a week, I would give it 6-10 months (of course you definition of consistent and mine could be different).

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

For people with the knack, 15 minutes. For klutzes, never.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
learn to have a stroke that makes the cue ball go where you are aiming and you will pocket more balls
unintentional spin throws balls off and causes you not to hit what you are aiming at
jmho

I agree with this response, and have no idea why it was flamed. (I don't see any big words other than "unintentional")

You have to be able to shoot the cue ball straight so it goes where you want it to go. A gal in a PE class that I was an instructor for was having problems making a ball. I told her to just shoot the cue ball into the pocket. She missed by a diamond.

She should not expect to make many balls if she can't get the cue ball to contact the object ball where needed to pocket it.

To explain the second point. If the cue ball is struck right or left of center, the cue ball or object ball will not go where a new player is expecting it to go.

Regarding the amount of time needed to figure this out.... It depends on the person, as stated above.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Apparently longer than 6 years LOL http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=148806 :wink:

Is there another question you are not asking here specifically? A lot of times people ask the wrong question. Unless it's not about you and you're just curious.

As Bob said, could be minutes to who knows.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Ok, everyone get's what you are saying. Everyone in the world knows the answer you provided and that was not my question!! And why WTF does everyone think you can go into ball control before learning to hit basic shots with some consistency.

You don't just jump right into ball control after learning a stance. You need to learn to learn to learn to hit basic shots. Maybe a little top spin or draw before you do something advance like that. I want to punch people who think they can go from learning a stance to ball control. Hell just being able to hit simple shots with consistency makes you better than most bar players.

Maybe you did not understand my question. How long do you think it should to be able to pocket basic shots with some consistency.

Read my question again

You're wrong...plus, you're rude.

If you don't want to get answers, don't ask questions.

Developing a straight, reliable stroke is the FIRST step. Pocketing balls comes after that. Follow Tor Lowery's advice on his Zero-X DVD: stroke a ball from the footspot into a corner pocket 2,000 times before you ever even think about hitting a cue ball into an object ball.

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! 17 posts and counting and your first response to someone who tries to help is swearing at them. Huh....

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good answer. Apparently the OP has made NO progress in 6 years. My advice to him/her would be to get some quality instruction. Then, they might make the jump in a few weeks. Otherwise, like Bob said...it might be never! LOL

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Apparently longer than 6 years LOL http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=148806 :wink:

Is there another question you are not asking here specifically? A lot of times people ask the wrong question. Unless it's not about you and you're just curious.

As Bob said, could be minutes to who knows.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Recommend

I have played some with Scott Lee and he is great player and a great coach. I would recommend him and he travels to you a lot of times which is nice.