Questions: Just ordered a new Diamond light...

mivaldes

Registered
So I just ordered a new 9 foot Diamond light from the factory for my new (to me) 9 foot Diamond Professional table.

Any idea what they mean specifically by they don't come "wired". I'm assuming they at least have the fixture inside the light with some wires coming out of the top. I know how to install a kitchen light so I'm assuming it's the standard black to black and white to white with a ground???

I ordered the LED tubes from Tocor as they recommended. Great salesman named Jim was very responsive when I called him.

Just curious about what others have encountered with a new light from Diamond.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to install it with the table there. I have a feeling that is going to be a bit of a challenge. I'm considering buying a large piece of foam to put over the table during install in case something falls on it. No idea where I would even get a piece that big!! Any suggestions for installing over a table that is already there?

Anything else I forgot to ask??

Thanks,
Marcus

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
So I just ordered a new 9 foot Diamond light from the factory for my new (to me) 9 foot Diamond Professional table.

Any idea what they mean specifically by they don't come "wired". I'm assuming they at least have the fixture inside the light with some wires coming out of the top. I know how to install a kitchen light so I'm assuming it's the standard black to black and white to white with a ground???

I ordered the LED tubes from Tocor as they recommended. Great salesman named Jim was very responsive when I called him.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to install it with the table there. I have a feeling that is going to be a bit of a challenge. I'm considering buying a large piece of foam to put over the table during install in case something falls on it. No idea where I would even get a piece that big!! Any suggestions for installing over a table that is already there?

Thanks,
Marcus

It is a PAIN IN THE BUTT! Nothing is mounted or wired. I assume this is to make it a "kit" and put liability on the assembler. I just sold one to a client with a table and it cost about $150 extra for the bulbs/ electrician to set it up properly. Its a one time thing and if you are prepared it wont be a big deal.

At the end of the day, they match the table an look nice.

Trent from Toledo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
Marcus
Cover up your table with a table cover, which I assume you have. Use a couple of 2x10 or 2x12 boards at least 5' long which you can straddle across the width of the table. If you have to stand up on the table, stand on the boards, which will distribute the weight out evenly to the rails so you won't potentially knock your slates out of level by standing on it.

Honestly, I'd recommend spending the extra $$ to get an electrician to help you install / wire / hang your light as professionally as possible. You've purchased the best table and light on the market, so go ahead and get the light hung as professionally as you possibly can.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I never suggest standing on the table in any fashion. The rails are bolted to the slates, end of story Yeah yeah, I hear so and so does it all the time, well it aint worth the one time the seams split.

Scaffolding is not expensive or hard to use and any professional commercial electrician will be able to do his job with ease. Just plan well, take your time and be patient. Its a one time thing, cutting corners usually makes things more difficult and stressful. Just my $0.02

Trent from Toledo

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cancel that order and get two 2' X 4' LED panels. Easy to build the frame. Now you can dim the light or make it hard or soft. So much more latitude. LED is the best. About the same price or less.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m no pro...

I hung a Brunswick home model light over my GC table. I had a thick table cover and a bunch of bath towels I put on to of the cover. Dropping a tool from overhead is easy and that will minimize the damage. I stood on the slate. All worked out well.

I stand on the state very frequently now to take overhead camera shots for our WWYD threads. I always stand away from a slate seam, in my bare feat. I’m 180 lbs. I’ve been doing this for the 6 years my table has been installed.

I’ve had no trouble with slate seams popping or out of level conditions.

These are my personal experiences with my own table. As I said, I’m not a mechanic. Your mileage may vary.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would assume Diamond doesn't want to go through the process of getting the assembled fixture listed with someone like UL. Technically a non-listed fixture is not legal and the wiring must be inspected by your local jurisdiction upon installation. This would really only likely become a problem if this was in a commercial installation or if there were a fire attributed to a non-listed fixture being installed improperly and without inspection.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to put a cord on it and screw the light fixtures to the housing, it’s not complicated. I’m sure a neighbor could give one a hand for a beer and a sandwich lol

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m no pro...

I hung a Brunswick home model light over my GC table. I had a thick table cover and a bunch of bath towels I put on to of the cover. Dropping a tool from overhead is easy and that will minimize the damage. I stood on the slate. All worked out well.

I stand on the state very frequently now to take overhead camera shots for our WWYD threads. I always stand away from a slate seam, in my bare feat. I’m 180 lbs. I’ve been doing this for the 6 years my table has been installed.

I’ve had no trouble with slate seams popping or out of level conditions.

These are my personal experiences with my own table. As I said, I’m not a mechanic. Your mileage may vary.

I've done the same with my Anniversary, but probably a little risky stepping on a table that isn't doweled and pinned like the old Brunswick slates. The scaffolding that Trent talked about would be great, but I just didn't want to go through the trouble and expense unless I thought it was absolutely necessary and with the pinned slates I felt fairly safe in stepping on the covered table with a piece of plywood being used even the load.

The ironic thing for me was that I did hang the light prior to the installer setting up the table, but the cheap RAM lighting came apart at the soldered joints and fell on the table one night, so I ended up having to hang a reliable light fixture over the table anyway. Yes it was the light you see in my avatar. Needless to say I was a bit mad about the whole deal. Glad the OP didn't go with one of those type light kits.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have 4 LED bulbs .https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M8X8CV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's better stretched to 8 feet instead of 4x 4 ft , I think.

LED panels are light, never wear out and come with a controller where you can dim the lights to where you like it. Or you can have it how like the sun or more colder. Would be about the same cost as a Diamond florescent light bulb. A friend has one of these and so wishes he could dim it or cool it off like I can. Two 4' X 2' panels will easily light up the whole 9 ft table. You'll hate to go anywhere else because the lightening is so crappy. That is it in my picture. I built the frame out of poplar wood and set it up like the Anniversary. Took a morning.

mivaldes

Registered
I just love how the Diamond light looks. I even like the logo on it.

Does the Tocor company sell the fixture with the bulbs? I'm a little confused on what it is going to come with.

Is the Diamond light just a frame and a diffuser?

Marcus

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Just home from installing a brand new 7' Pro Am, 3 piece slate. Came out awesome:

00T0T_hvL5d5T2loa_1200x900.jpg

I am only gonna say this once and not trying to argue at all: The Brunswick Gold Crown, Anny & Centennial have a very unique frame that is very solid and it is simply far stronger than a Diamond frame.

The slates being doweled also makes a huge difference too.

To each their own on getting on top of the table. I work on tables for a living. I just say no.

Trent from Toledo

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I never suggest standing on the table in any fashion. The rails are bolted to the slates, end of story Yeah yeah, I hear so and so does it all the time, well it aint worth the one time the seams split.

Trent from Toledo

How would straddling the rails with a pair of 2x12s be more of a problem than an adult leaning on a single rail with all of their weight, less one toe on the floor?