Tell a Jersey Red story

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of my all time favorites! I was fortunate (but costly) to have met the entire 7-11 crowd on their home turf in the early 60's. I got pasted every day, but couldn't wait to go back the next day to hear their stories and just enjoy myself by being there. Such characters and all great players too. I was in heaven. I made friends with all of them and maintained that friendship for life. Sadly they're all gone now, save Rex (retired dealer) and Richie Ambrose, who is busy trying to beat the crap tables in Vegas (on other people's money of course!).

Red may have been the most entertaining of them all, very capable of telling an old story about his opponent while he was pounding him into submission. Even the victim would be laughing. One quick story of my own. It was Dayton 1973 and I was at the peak of my game, having ten solid years under my belt and a thriving pool room in Bakersfield. In the 9-Ball, I had already beaten an aging (but still dangerous) Cannonball and the young collegiate champ Dan Louie. My next match was with Red, and he came over to me and told me he was watching me play and he doubted he could beat me. He said me may not bother to show up, saving his strength for One Pocket. I was elated to hear this news, as it was a money match, worth a lordly $250. The next day I come early to practice and Red is a no show. They call the match and Red emerges from the shadows and I'm crestfallen. He had sharked me good and of course I lost the match.

Everyone loved Red but he was not a man to mess with. He was "Dennis Hatch" size and when angered would confront anyone or anybody. All the pool players knew Red was no one to fool with. When Red starting getting pissed, it was a good time to quiet down. I only saw him truly mad one time, and on that occasion he picked his opponent up by the throat, held him in the air, and gave him a short lecture about insulting his wife Dotty. The guy got the message!

Last edited:

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump for a few more.

I was a fan, I got to see him several times over his years in Houston. Talked to him briefly at Sam Houston Race Park, asking about his book. He, like several of his contemporaries, loved to bet the horses. (Maiden races were his favorite)

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Just got back from New York and I spent some time with Red's old race track and 711 pool room partner, Brooklyn Jimmy. Jimmy is pretty sick, but his mind is still sharp. Jimmy said they used to hustle all night and then go to the track where Red would fall asleep and tell Jimmy to wake him up when they were broke.

He was a great player and a great storyteller.

This is one of my all-time favorite photos, it was taken at Grady's Philly Legends 1 pkt tournament. We are standing in front of Jimmy Fusco's pro shop.

Beard

Attachments

• 4 Jersey Red & me #2.jpg
    4 Jersey Red & me #2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 478

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first time I saw Red was at the All Around Event at the Lafayette Hotel in Long Beach in 1967. I think it was Red's first west coast trip. Interesting that Johnny Ervolino was there as well. Red did OK in the event but began to hang around the Hollywood Poolrooms and of course it was like all the NYC pool players had transplanted themselves. There was NY Blackie, Ervolino, Lou Bramlett, Crippled Shorty and many others. Red was a very good player but not top speed. He couldn't beat Ronnie playing one pocket and I watched him get beat many times 8/7 but they were close matches. He couldn't beat Ed Kelly in any game but they were close and he couldn't beat Marvin Henderson (my favorite all around player of that day.) Red and Ervolino were inseparable. Both were race track addicted. Dottie would come along and the three of them could be seen betting the horses every day. I also lost a bunch at the track and still do. Red knew everything about sports back then and could quote statistics primarily in baseball and boxing. I had heard he gave up a promising baseball career to play pool. He stayed in LA for about one year and left for Texas which is where Dottie is from? As a side note, he is the only player from that era who played primarily with an open hand bridge and he was down low on the ball. That technique is standard today. That was tough back then with felt being so difficult to get the ball around the table. Not like Simonnis of today.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
What pool hall?

the red man made his home room at a poolhall i worked at in the early 90s....he could remember things that just seem unreal....stats, scores, and boxing matches from the 40s to the present time...i use to listen to him tell stories about boxing matches and he could tell you round from round...he was such a giant person and i was just happy to listen...there were days he would come in the room early and play 15 ball runout.... it was amazing watching him move around the table...he truely made every shot look easy....he would often play decent road players for small change....he wasnt wealthy but every time he opened his mouth it was priceless....i am glad that i was able to see him play even if it wasnt in his prime...but the best part of the redman was the man himself....A TRUE CLASS ACT......RIP REDMAN..

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Screw the fat guy. Should have poked the cigar in his eye...haha

Here's my Jersey Red story...

It was the summer of '80 & I was in Houston, TX with Buddy Hall & NY Blackie. We were making plans to go to Austin for the Texas Open & Jersey Red heard we were going & wanted to ride up with us. The next day, we swung by Red's place in Pasadena & began the long ride to Austin. I was in heaven! As I had originally started playing in New Jersey, I had heard many a story about the Red Rooster. The miles seemed to fly by as Red & Blackie told stories about the infamous New York City pool room, 7-11, & its huge cast of characters & well-known players. I was all ears & it seemed like we never stopped laughing...

The party continued from the minute we pulled up in front of Moyer's - the site of the Texas Open. I had never been to Austin before & it was exciting as hell to be at my first non-industry sponsored pool room tournament. In other words, it was a rockin' sockin' road player's paradise - especially for a newbie like me!

The place was packed...there was action on every table while others woofed at each other trying to match up or tried to make a side bet. It was as much a social event as a pool tournament with people having a great time reuniting with old friends or making new ones. We made our way over to the table where they were taking entries & signed up. No women's division in this one - there just wasn't that many of us in those days! Had to jump in with the men but I didn't care - I was used to that from the road plus I was looking to claim some scalps using my new skills courtesy of Blackie & Buddy!

Later that evening, they posted the draw with play starting the next day. I wandered over to see when & who I played & it turned out to be Jersey Red. Of course! LOL I was a little disappointed that I drew one of the champions for my first round but was excited too. How many people could say that they got to play the legendary Jersey Red?!!!

So, it's the next day & it's post time...I find my table by following the sound of Red's voice as he held court with the crowd. He had them wrapped around his finger & laughing as he verbally jousted with folks in the stands. We flipped a coin & I won the first break. Red picked someone out of the crowd & assigned the guy to racking the balls for him! Standing there while waiting for the guy to finish, I thought, "Well, at least I'll get to break ONE game!" :)

Then, somehow, I won the first game...& the next...& the next. And Red, was still jacking around with the crowd & paying no attention to the game - shooting carelessly when it was his turn. Even though I was playing pretty well for my speed, I remember thinking, "Is Red letting me win?!!!"

Then, all of a sudden, a fat, dirty-looking old guy puffing on a huge cigar hollers from the top of the stands, "Hey, Red!!! WTF!!! Are you going to let a frickin' skirt beat you?!!!" Red glared at him & spun around to look at the score. It was now 5-0 going to 7.

And that was the last time I got to the table (other than to rack) with an open shot. He either broke & ran out or played a safety. Red's version of a safety was either between a ball & the rail with a 5 rail kick or underneath the table! I'm talking about some advanced pool! LOL

Final score: Red 7 - me 5.

Oh, &, by the way, I glared at the old guy too! That was MY first experience with a knocker!!! If only...:)

Mary Kenniston