Need help for a beginner.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a friend who has a new lady friend. He's trying to introduce her to pool.
The first problem is teaching her how to set up her bridge hand. I haven't
seen it but as it was described it's awful.
What I really need is a video showing the basic bridges, open and closed.
I don't think you can begin playing without some basic visual aid. Nothing
to complex. I've done searches and come up empty. YouTube just doesn't
fill the bill.

Any help would be most helpful. BTW I think it's a mistake to teach
ones Significant Other. The thing is they or she can't progress without the basics.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great link Bill! Another idea, Ken, is to have her make a "fist" bridge, and use her thumb just like Jerry showed in the video. That's very easy to do, but doesn't allow for raising or lowering the bridge on the table.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
>>>Here is a good place to start.

I don't see a link Bill? Was it edited out?

Scott,
I'm not the instructor; just the messenger. I could show her how to make a okay sign with the fingers and move on from there but I don't want to get directly involved. I really just want to pass on video link.

I hope to have something by Tuesday.

Thanks gentlemen.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't see a link Bill? Was it edited out?

Scott,
I'm not the instructor; just the messenger. I could show her how to make a okay sign with the fingers and move on from there but I don't want to get directly involved. I really just want to pass on video link.

I hope to have something by Tuesday.

Thanks gentlemen.

if you click on the word HEREin his post you will get to the link
to save you time....:thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpXeZ0Ab49I

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I could show her how to make a okay sign with the fingers and move on from there ...
That's the wrong place to start for a beginner. An open bridge is already tough enough for a lot of people and a closed bridge (which I guess you're starting from the OK sign) is likely not to work at all.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the wrong place to start for a beginner. An open bridge is already tough enough for a lot of people and a closed bridge (which I guess you're starting from the OK sign) is likely not to work at all.

Maybe I miswrote. I'm talking about making the ok with the thumb and forefinger with the other digits relaxed. Slip the cue in and then place the other fingers on the table. That would be a closed bridge, yes?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I miswrote. I'm talking about making the ok with the thumb and forefinger with the other digits relaxed. Slip the cue in and then place the other fingers on the table. That would be a closed bridge, yes?

Not an instructor but what Bob Jewett is saying is the closed bridge is not what needs to be taught/learned at this point. Remember your own difficulty learning to form this bridge. Your fingers can't do that "properly". This bridge can come later if ever. The immediate goal is ENJOYMENT and FUN playing pool. As Scott says use the KISS rule. Finer points come later and only if the student wants to learn more. Don't push unless asked to be pushed.

The best snooker players in the world us an open bridge. Its really OK.