Tai-can cues?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so I'm searching around ebay and find these TAI-CAN cues.

Here are details and photos of what I purchased.

Forearm: 6 ebony points into ebony forearm (Cored) with triple veneers. (white, blue, white)

Butt Sleeve: Ebony butt sleeve with a black phenolic butt cap.

Joint: Flat face joint type for Brass 3/8-11 screw.

Ring Work: Matching ring works at A,B,E positions and each piece of joint protector also has a single matching ring work.

Wrap: Irish linen wrap, a black back ground with white specks.

Shafts: 2 pieces, Each shaft size is 13mm ( pro standard taper) with Melamine ferrule.

Weight: 19.5 oz

Length: 58 inches

Condition: Brand New, Never been played.

I've owned a "real" Southwest so I'll see how it compares. The only other cue I've tried that was MADE like a Southwest and played as GOOD as a Southwest was a Steve Klein I bought for my dad (who still has it).

Heck, for $243 shipped it will make a nice looking break cue.

That reminds me --- does anyone remember back in the 80's when Mike Sigel used a beautiful pointed birdseye DPK cue for his break cue?? LOL...that cue was probably better constructed than his JOSS (which was also great).

Attachments

• TAICAN1.jpg
    TAICAN1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • TAICAN2.jpg
    TAICAN2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,481
  • TAICAN3.jpg
    TAICAN3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,400

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I am interested in hearing your review, I have seen them around for awhile and they appeared to be of really good quality. Let us know all the details of the hit, fit and finish and lets see how they stand up over time. :smile:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Tai Can and Kao Kao and Kao Fa are three companies which can and do make Southwest "Style" cues all day every day.

They have had plenty of SouthWest cues to study as perhaps the greastest concentration of SouthWest cues in the known world resides in the hands of Taiwanese players and collectors. Some of these players took their cues to local manufacturers in Taiwan, among them Kao Kao, Kao Fa and Taican, and asked them to duplicate the style and hit. The style is not a problem. The hit however is something not so easily duplicated. In my travels to Taiwan I have only found one seller, a top notch player and coach, who had SW style cues that I would have have not been able to tell the difference between real SouthWests and his.

Nowadays the fit and finish of these cues is also on par with just about any cue maker on Earth.

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
Unlike the stiff hit of the Southwest, these have a soft hit that reminds me the McDermott hit.

Craftsmanship looks pretty good for what you pay for.

JLiang91@

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so I'm searching around ebay and find these TAI-CAN cues.

Here are details and photos of what I purchased.

Forearm: 6 ebony points into ebony forearm (Cored) with triple veneers. (white, blue, white)

Butt Sleeve: Ebony butt sleeve with a black phenolic butt cap.

Joint: Flat face joint type for Brass 3/8-11 screw.

Ring Work: Matching ring works at A,B,E positions and each piece of joint protector also has a single matching ring work.

Wrap: Irish linen wrap, a black back ground with white specks.

Shafts: 2 pieces, Each shaft size is 13mm ( pro standard taper) with Melamine ferrule.

Weight: 19.5 oz

Length: 58 inches

Condition: Brand New, Never been played.

I've owned a "real" Southwest so I'll see how it compares. The only other cue I've tried that was MADE like a Southwest and played as GOOD as a Southwest was a Steve Klein I bought for my dad (who still has it).

Heck, for $243 shipped it will make a nice looking break cue.

That reminds me --- does anyone remember back in the 80's when Mike Sigel used a beautiful pointed birdseye DPK cue for his break cue?? LOL...that cue was probably better constructed than his JOSS (which was also great).

Hi any chance of getting these cues? Where can i purchase them?

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
I have a break, jump cue that look just like made by Kaiser, and breaks good

Attachments

• 20130127_165915 (1).jpg
    20130127_165915 (1).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 966

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome cue for $243!!! Good find matty boy!

What up, Pook? Look at this thread -- this was a post I made in 2009, LOL. I don't even know what happened to that cue. I think it got trapped in a closet.....and I may have given it away? It was good quality for the money and came with two shafts. But I've owned one of the nicest Southwest cues *ever* made IMO (bought from JAZZNPOOL years back)......and this cue was NOT the quality/construction/etc of the genuine article.