14.1 Scorekeeping - The Mitchell Jarad Snooker Version Is An Excellent Choice!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just acquired a Mitchell Jarad Snooker Scorekeeper via ebay and it is ideally suited
for straight pool scorekeeping. I've searched for a scorekeeping device besides the
various program software apps for your phone or tablet. I found a small electronic
scorekeeper that is a minature basketball scorekeeper. It requires 110v electrical and
if it operated on batteries, I have gotten that as well.

I prefer the MItchell Jarad version a lot more and the brass components can be bought as kit so you
can make your own custom version. There's also a 4 player version & a variety of different woods.

If anyone has a better device for keeping straight pool scoring, I'd be interested in seeing what
else is available I purchased this one via ebay for $11.50 and shipping was $17.00. There are several
buy it now auctions and even Walmart lists the Mitchell Jarad scorekeeper on their website as a special
order item. The general price range for the MItchell Jarad Snooker Scorekeepr is between $40 and $50.
As you can see, it a very basic but well suited design for 14.1 scorekeeping. Anyway, I thought I'd pass this
long for any 14.1 afficenados that are looking for a really nice scoreking device.

For now, the scorekeeper in the photo is what I'm using unless something better comes along to replace it.

Matt B.

Attachments

• !4.1 Scorekeepr (Mitchell Jarad).jpg
    !4.1 Scorekeepr (Mitchell Jarad).jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 294
  • !4.1 Scorekeepr (Mitchell Jarad) #2.jpg
    !4.1 Scorekeepr (Mitchell Jarad) #2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 293

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A second one for the rack score and it’ll be great.

Yeah, maybe he meant it would be good for just one person. Then you could use the top sliders for the rack and the bottom for the totals, or vice versa. But you want to be able to keep track of rack scores and game totals separately in 14.1, so for a game with someone else, you'd need two of those things.

I'd much prefer the traditional counters (as on older Gold Crowns) or beads. If the counters are still available separately, you can just build them into a block of wood or a homemade box of some sort and use it on a table or mount it on a wall.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, maybe he meant it would be good for just one person. Then you could use the top sliders for the rack and the bottom for the totals, or vice versa. But you want to be able to keep track of rack scores and game totals separately in 14.1, so for a game with someone else, you'd need two of those things.

I'd much prefer the traditional counters (as on older Gold Crowns) or beads. If the counters are still available separately, you can just build them into a block of wood or a homemade box of some sort and use it on a table or mount it on a wall.
Yeah, I'm curious how many 14.1 players under 40 even know how to use the beads correctly to keep track of current rack score and total score?

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never mind. I guess (like with thumbwheels) you just start over have to remember to add 100.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At home, I ALWAYS use a 4' x 6' dry erase board so I can make note of rack score, total score, error count and what the error was etc...etc...

After each day of play, I take a pic of board so I can compare current stats to past stats to better see what is/isn't working. I can then make or adjust current drills as needed.

Rake

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question: Is if there is a better score keeping device that doesn’t rely on a smart phone or tablet?

Tommy Hill and I played straight pool today and he kicked my ass like he does to everyone else.
This scorekeeper was enjoyable & ez to use. Iit has hooks so you can hang it on the wall. We tried using
cup holder clips and it worked great. If there is a spot involved, I.e., handicap, you just record the spot
at the outset and both players benefit from being able to see the spot and it keeps it in perspective too.

If there is something nicer or better that’s under a hundred bucks, lay it on me. So far, this is the best
device I’ve found so if you have something easier, better, nicer looking, etc., come forth with the info.
Otherwise this is the way to go if you enjoy playing 14.1 as I do because luck seldom determines the
winner in straight pool, unlike say 9 ball where even the strongest player can be beaten by slop shots.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you explain how you keep current rack score and current game score on the same unit? Appears the dials on the right are set at 100 at the top and 30 on the bottom, and the dials on the left are 9-1/2 and 7-1/2?
I'm having a hard time figuring how that computes to keeping track of current rack score and current game score, unless you had one complete unit for each of the two opponents?

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
luck seldom determines the
winner in straight pool, unlike say 9 ball where even the strongest player can be beaten by slop shots.

I STRONGLY agree!!!!

I also put str8 pool above 10 ball as well for the same reasons.

Most anyone can run 9 or 10 balls if they are good players and are having a good day but, those same players are usually nowhere near as impressive in 14.1.

Hell, I know several 1hole 8-out players that weaker 14.1 players. 14.1 is in a league of its own.

Anyone that thinks they are strong 9 ball, 10 ball, 8 ball......etc, etc.... players need to either get back to OR be introduced to the VERY BEST game ever played.

I play 10 ball often at times. When I start having problems I almost always go back to str8 pool to fix the problem.

14.1 is a "FIX ALL" for pool. It's the "one-size-fits-all" gateway to being better.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Someone recently posted pictures of a nice looking small wood case containing a standard set of score wheels that he had made. I think he was planning to offer them for sale.

I think a small set of beads would be nice. There could be a single wire centered for the rack and maybe an abacus-like setup for the rest to reduce the total number of beads. The rack wire could look like:

-----------------bbbbWbbbbWbbbb---------------

at the start of the rack, and then if the rack score was 3-5 it would look like:

bbb-----------------bWbbbb---------------Wbbbb

with six balls left to make out of the rack.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob,

I know exactly what you’re referring to. The counter looks like it could have been for a Brunswick
Gold Crown. Muellers sells the counter in brass color for about $12 and if one was skilled and had
the right tools, making a wooden case shouldn’t be that difficult. I went with this version because I
was tired of keeping score manually on a board. Someone pointed out what about scores over 120.
Well, usually the match would be 100 or 125. I think anyone could keep track of the last 5 balls by
memory or else when you hit a 100, you merely reset to zero (0) and every point is 1 + 100 or 101.
You get 45 more points and your score is 145.......pretty easy fix because both you and you opponent
will know when either reaches and passes the 100 mark on the race to 125.

Another Azer observed the two scores one has to keep in straight pool which everyone knows is
your total score and current rack score. The current rack score has to always balance to 15 balls with
the intention of leaving the last ball unpocketed for a break shot on the new rack of balls. Well, I dunno
about how others add, subtract and count but keeping track of 15 balls has never been a challenge
when the balls are mine. I know how many innings I played last rack, how many misses, and how
many balls I ran. The people I play with, and myself, are capable of running more than just a rack.

I don’t want to sound brash or cocky about my skills. My best is only 38 balls whereas the guys that
I practice with are twice mine. So keeping track of the balls in one rack is usually easy even with safety
play. There is a 4 player version made but I think that would be a bit of overkill for this purpose....IMO.
If the wheel counter version Bob mentioned becomes available on AZ, I’d get one for sure & maybe more.

Matt B.

Last edited:

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 scorekeeper

Matt,
I can make you one of these.Pm me if interested.

Attachments

• 20181011_173811-490x1008.jpg
    20181011_173811-490x1008.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 108

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have aroused my interest and curiosity........just sent you a PM.
Is this intended to be used as a wall scorekeeper like the one I just got?
I asked you about shape & size in my PM; look forward to more details.

Matt B.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like the wooden rectangular score boards with six knobs (0-9). what are they called?

you just add 1 + 4 in the lower two knobs after a rack run. 14, 28, etc

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
A second one for the rack score and it’ll be great.

Yes definitely!
I have the same one pictured in the OP.
Beads are definitely better.
I didn't have the right spot for them in the new house.
The plaque style works best for me now.