Survival for Pool as a Sport

blah blah

Shoebat
Pool, if it is to be universally considered a sport, must compete with and learn from other sports in order to survive. Pool could gain a great deal of recognition if it would only emulate some of the successful practices and nuances of much more highly regarded past times.

For example, I am not a tennis player or afficionado by any means, but I have been subjected to rather a lot of tennis in the last few months. Okay: I hate tennis, honestly, but I have spent a lot of recent hours watching it nonetheless. And I have learned something. It is a lot more exciting with the sound effects.

So if we poolplayers would practice making grunting and whooshing noises whenever we hit the balls, maybe even full- scale battle cries during the breaks, I am sure we will gain some immediate national interest.

AND: if we routinely slide extra poolballs up our short skirts and in our pockets between shots or games, we might get a little more added interest, too, but I'm not sure we need to go that far just yet...

Are there any other sports we can copy? Maybe synchronized swimming? How about synchronized drills? Points for artistic moves, music choices, technical turns... Can you imagine (name any three pros) doing synchronized ballet moves and shot- drills, all at the same time on the same table? That's a serious money making idea right here- you just remember to quote Blah Blah on that one.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you want everyone to act like Vivian Villareal!

But, to a very first order, the problem with broadcast pool is the announcers. A: not every made shot is "excellent". B: everytime one gets position for a next shot it is not "perfect". If the announcers to these 2 words and use Roger's Thesaurus and found 18 words with similar meanings; the announcing would be a lot better. C: get announcers that actually know how to play pool rather well.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
One of the few place Kids can play Pool in the Valley of the Sun is the Boys & Girls Clubs. Here in the Valley of the Sun there are 12 Boys & Girls Clubs sites, most have a Minimum of (2) Pool Tables, Partial Ball Sets, Cues with No Tips, and Chalk is not to be found. Most of what the Boys & Girls club work on is donations.

I honestly do not know whey the different Pool Organizations like BCA, ACS, APA, TAP, etc., do not appear to have out reach programs where they help with Youth Pool at Boys & Girls Clubs as theses kids are their potential future members.

blah blah

Shoebat
Huh. I don't know what YOU guys are thinking (money? young people? sponsorships? wtf?). Lookie here.

The top five poolplayers on the money list as of today are: Mika, Ralf, Shane, Thorsten and Darren. Great players, yes, but where's the pizzazz?I'm talking disco lights, preset drill routines, tu-tu's and lots of shiny glitter. Synchronized turns, shotmaking, high caberet kicks, and maybe even some dosey dos. All. In. Synchronization. I'm talking hot music, hot announcers, hot t.v.

As far as the grunting and whooshing- someone suggested that this could be considered "sharking." Some reactions to that would be helpful. I'm going to play a couple of local weekly tournaments this week and would like to know now whether I should keep quiet or try out my new sound effects technique.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have put 2 9ft Gold Crowns in the Jr. High I work at and we are starting a Billiards club.
If everything works out we will get it in the other 3 Jr. Highs and 2 High Schools.
The BEF has been of assistance as has Ivan Lee.
I am promoting the math and science lessons and their applications to pool.
Mark
www.teachmepool.com

blah blah

Shoebat
I have put 2 9ft Gold Crowns in the Jr. High I work at and we are starting a Billiards club.
If everything works out we will get it in the other 3 Jr. Highs and 2 High Schools.
Mark
www.teachmepool.com

Awesome........

Firecracker

aka Crackalackin
Silver Member
ESPN had this commercial that made me laugh when it saw it - pool would be better if it was more like hockey.

It showed a pool match and while one of the players was down shooting, his opponent came and knocked him to the ground to take the shot instead.

I tried to find a video link, but I think it is too old.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Mark
www.teachmepool.com

Efforts like that are a foundation for build up interest in pool.

blah blah

Shoebat
ESPN had this commercial that made me laugh when it saw it - pool would be better if it was more like hockey.

It showed a pool match and while one of the players was down shooting, his opponent came and knocked him to the ground to take the shot instead.

I tried to find a video link, but I think it is too old.

I SAW that video- not too long ago... here, too, but I can't remember which thread. Good laugh, and that's JUST what I'm trying to talk about here.

Thanks, crackalackin'! : )

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that Speed Pool tends to garner a lot of interest among people who do not know much about billiards. The intensity of having to run the table as quickly as possible even while object balls are still moving seems to hold their attention quite well.

Lea A

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
okay no tu-tu's. that's very outdated and childish.

how about glitter thongs?

Outdated and childish? What world are you living in?? Tutus are awesome. I was thinking of asking you to be my synchronized pool partner, but I'm reconsidering...I mean, we obviously have very different tastes. Perhaps you and I would be better suited playing against each other in full contact pool.

blah blah

Shoebat
Outdated and childish? What world are you living in?? Tutus are awesome. I was thinking of asking you to be my synchronized pool partner, but I'm reconsidering...I mean, we obviously have very different tastes. Perhaps you and I would be better suited playing against each other in full contact pool.

Damn. You caught me trying to be cool again. I would totally wear a tutu. In fact, to resurrect another old idea, I would want a matching cape to go with my tutu... Oh dude, I just thought of this- remember the streamers we had on our bikes when we were kids? What if we had some streamers on the ends of our cues?

And I guess I was just trying to see some top men in some glitter thongs real quick. I thought I was sneaky on both counts.

But I think you're right- we could make a whole lot of money on that full contact pool. Girl fights and pool? Oh yeah, now that's such a sure thing, I believe I can just start spending that money now. : )

Last edited:

Lea A

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn. You caught me trying to be cool again. I would totally wear a tutu. In fact, to resurrect another old idea, I would want a matching cape to go with my tutu... Oh dude, I just thought of this- remember the streamers we had on our bikes when we were kids? What if we had some streamers on the ends of our cues?

And I guess I was just trying to see some top men in some glitter thongs real quick. I thought I was sneaky on both counts.

But I think you're right- we could make a whole lot of money on that full contact pool. Girl fights and pool? Oh yeah, now that's such a sure thing, I believe I can just start spending that money now. : )

I think the streamers are a good idea provided they're not exactly like the ones on the bikes. No offense, but I think that cheap plastic would be tacky. Can streamers be made of silk?

This is perfect timing, really, because I'm planning a trip to the mall in the near future and could use a little extra cash. Let me know when it starts rolling in.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
???????

so i see this thread says the survival. don't anyone worry as pool has been

around for more than 600 years. i often referr to it as a 600 year old

sprout that never gets any bigger and never goes away.

but now with all the live streaming going on (as opposed to the espn

shows that have always been so old by the time we see them) i think

the sprout might be budding.:eek:

and i know there gonna be some bud jokes comin up !:cool: