Something to Know About the "ABIA"

Billiards0518

Registered
To all mechanics and installers:

Some of you may have already done the research into the "ABIA" and found out about some of their questionable business practices. For those of you who haven't, please be aware of this...

As most of you know, they have their "pooltablemovers_____(insert city here).com" or "______pooltablemovers.com" websites for just about every major city across the country. What many might not know, is that all of these sites are showing LOCAL addresses as their places of business. In my area, they are using the address, "2025 St. Charles Ave. New Orleans, LA 70130" on both their site and on their Facebook page. This address belongs to a convenience store! After calling that location, they state that they've never heard of "pooltablemoversneworleans.com".

On Angie's List, they have their address as "1515 Airline Drive, Metairie, LA". There is NOTHING at that location. However, the Brunswick dealer's address is "1525 Airline Drive".

They are also using (what appears to be) voice-over IP phone lines with local numbers in an attempt to lure customers by making them think they're dealing with a local business.

I have contacted the FTC regarding this as well as my state's Attorney General, Sec. of State, the New Orleans Attorney General, and the IRS. What he's doing is CLEARLY unethical and may, in fact, be illegal.

If the "ABIA" has these websites in your area, I would encourage you to do the same.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Wow, I did not know that con artist is still at it.
Figured that operation was shut down by now...

Someone put a nail in that guy and pin his ass to a side pocket.

Rob.M

Billiards0518

Registered
I called his "local" (Vo-IP) phone number to get a quote to move a 4-1/2 x 9 just to see what he's quoting. Local to local move, no stairs, reusing the existing cloth.

His quote.... $825.00!!!

I figured out exactly who he's using around here, then called them. Their quote... $350.00!

So, Jeff is making a $475.00 PROFIT for doing nothing more than giving a local guy the customer's information.

As I said earlier, I would encourage every mechanic and installer to call their federal, state, and local authorities about this. If he does not have a physical location in a state and isn't registered to conduct business within a state, then he shouldn't be putting in his advertisements that he has locations there. Most of the addresses are fictitious anyway. This is deceptive business at best. At worst, it's fraud and the authorities need to know about this.

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Abia mn site

Minneapolis Pool Table Movers Minneapolis Pool Table Movers Website
Phone (877) 225-1914

Jeff Black (@Jeffmovesit) | Twitter
https://twitter.com/jeffmovesit
... latest Tweets from Jeff Black (@Jeffmovesit). I move #billiard tables! A LOT of pool tables, everywhere! Seattle to Miami. Moving? I'm your man. 877-225-1914.

Billiards0518

Registered
Phone (877) 225-1914

... latest Tweets from Jeff Black (@Jeffmovesit). I move #billiard tables! A LOT of pool tables, everywhere! Seattle to Miami. Moving? I'm your man. 877-225-1914.

This is why I said "most" of his websites have fictitious addresses.

Check out the following:
https://charlottepooltableservice.com/pool-table-installations/
https://pooltablemoversdenver.com/
https://chicagopooltablemovers.net/
https://batonrougepooltablemovers.com/
https://phoenixpooltablemovers.net/
https://myrtlebeachpooltablemovers.com/
https://kansascitypooltablemovers.net/

I could go on. But, theses are just the first few cities that popped into my head.

Billiards0518

Registered
Phone (877) 225-1914

https://pooltablemoversminneapolis.com/

I just pulled up his Minneapolis site. It shows a physical address of:
3784 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55406

Google street view:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...5e188b!8m2!3d44.9342967!4d-93.2240089!6m1!1e1

I guess Jeff is operating out of the American Legion building there in Minneapolis.

Last edited:

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mech link

Would be nice to have this info get posted in the az mech list ...

Billiards0518

Registered
This is pretty much all old news to most of us older members, i called his BS out years ago as a con.

I know you did. I read through all of the threads about him. However, I'm both trying to inform others (that don't know) and plea to those that do know his tactics and antics to contact the authorities about this.

If I call, I'm just one voice. They don't care to hear from me. They'd take it a whole lot more seriously if they start getting calls from all over the country from others in the business. Your local authorities should know about this too. But, again, I don't live in your area. He isn't taking work away from ME in YOUR area.

I see a few points of concern here.

1) Our industry has suffered over the years because of people who are less than honest. I know a lot of us have done everything we can to reverse that image. A lot of progress has been made. But, when Jeff comes along with his "ABIA" (that doesn't mean a thing) and cons the customer, WE ALL SUFFER.

2) Customers have no clue that his "ABIA" is a sham. They don't know the difference between the ABIA, BCA, AMA (American Medical Association), APA, or any other acronym. If we lie complacent, aren't we just as guilty of enabling the ruse?

3) Jeff is making GOBS of money off the backs of unsuspecting installers. Now, I realize that this isn't entirely his fault. It's mainly the responsibility of the installer/mechanic to not let himself get taken advantage of. Plus, what he's doing is unethical. He's intentionally deceiving the customer by making them think they're dealing with local businesses.

I have no problem with any company that wants to make a living off "finder's fees". But, this takes it to a whole new level. If nothing else, it needs to be investigated. That won't happen without cooperation and effort by those of us effected.

TheTablePro

Silver Member
I just looked at the website for Charlotte, NC in my area. The address is bogus, the photo's are picked up off the internet, and his mechanics "have years of experience". I had one customer call them and were quoted $900 for an in-house move and recover. Imagine they were footballing those out to legitimate mechanics here as well. They've never contacted me, I'm sure because I'm listed on AZ. Wish they would so I could get info on the *****s!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just looked at the website for Charlotte, NC in my area. The address is bogus, the photo's are picked up off the internet, and his mechanics "have years of experience". I had one customer call them and were quoted $900 for an in-house move and recover. Imagine they were footballing those out to legitimate mechanics here as well. They've never contacted me, I'm sure because I'm listed on AZ. Wish they would so I could get info on the *****s!

Robin, it wouldn't do any good, it's a total waste of time even dealing with them. They'll go away soon enough, this isn't their first go around.

chalky65

ABIA Birmingham

I have actually worked for ABIA over the past couple of years and have never been happy about it; but the demand for moving tables here is slim and sometimes you gotta make a buck where you can. Wasn't aware of what their angle was until after the first job. After that, anytime they called I would add about 20% more than what I would charge if customer called me directly. They have a listing at 36B Church Street here in Birmingham which is in a high retail market area for rent. I know they have no physical location here. Found out from some of the customers they were being charged as much and more by ABIA than I was charging. I have since closed my business as of January, yet still get calls from them asking for a quote. I really didn't have a problem with them getting a finders fee, but what they are doing is flat ripping people off. I really wish some customers would report them to BBB.

Last edited:

Billiards0518

Registered
Robin, it wouldn't do any good, it's a total waste of time even dealing with them. They'll go away soon enough, this isn't their first go around.

This may not be their first go around. But, first of all, they HAVE been around since at least 2009 (that's about the time frame where I first see their name being mentioned). That's 8 years at least! They aren't going anywhere as long as the customers think (from start to finish of the job) that they're dealing with a local company.

This is CLEARLY unethical. Also, as I mentioned above, it could very well be illegal. It certainly borders on internet fraud. I'm sure that if the federal authorities started getting an influx of complaints from all across the country, they'd look into them. I'm also sure that your state governments wouldn't be too pleased that someone is claiming to be doing business within their state, not collecting sales taxes, and not paying income taxes to that state. I'm also sure that local governments would feel the same. YOU DON'T GET TO LIE TO PEOPLE AND THERE BE NO CONSEQUENCES!

The whole "ABIA" that only exists to add credibility to their other shady business is reminiscent of BERNIE MADOFF!

TheTablePro

Silver Member
Imagine then, they've made a killing since 2009 with the rates they charge countrywide. I recall the guy trying to recruit mechanics on here years ago if my memory serves me correctly and he got run out. He's a persistent bastard if nothing else. I hope you're right Glen and it catches up to them sooner than later. Too many folks getting ripped off!!

Robin

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Imagine then, they've made a killing since 2009 with the rates they charge countrywide. I recall the guy trying to recruit mechanics on here years ago if my memory serves me correctly and he got run out. He's a persistent bastard if nothing else. I hope you're right Glen and it catches up to them sooner than later. Too many folks getting ripped off!!

Robin

Pool tables espresso or etc, something like that was doing the same thing as Jeff Black is doing, but they were around before he came on the seen.

Billiards0518

Registered
What baffles me is that there aren't more installers and mechanics absolutely outraged by this. Is it just me or is everyone apathetic about this?

chalky65

They have recently changed their approach. They are now advertising as pooltablemovers.com and insert various citys' name at the beginning. They are using a simple web page and merely changing city name for whatever city they are soliciting. Seldom did they ever call for a quote with all the pertinent questions asked. I would have to ask about stairs, brand of table, how far was it being moved, how soon they needed work done. Other than perhaps Jeff, they are not very knowledgeable of pool tables whatsoever. The other thing they are selling is a warranty, which in some cases is totally useless. One specific job I worked for them involved setting up a table in a mobile home with a notorious weak floor.

Last edited:

Billiards0518

Registered
Personally, I don't care if they know nothing about tables. I don't care if they know everything. I don't even care that they make money off "finder's fees". What I do care about is the overwhelming amount of deception that they engage in. I do care about them lying about where they're located in all of these cities. I do care about them making up a "certification" that means nothing and making customers believe that the "certification" actually means something. I also care about the message this sends to customers about OUR industry. We know! And the customer doesn't! We should be crying out in every forum informing customers, ahead of time, that these people are engaged in tactics that we don't condone.