WTF Comcast!

T411

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got Comcast High-speed internet two weeks ago and I not once been able to access Azbilliard forums. :confused: At first I thought it was my Apple computer that I just purchased just before I got Comcast. For the last two weeks I have been going between Comcast and Apple going through all the trouble-shooting trees; Apple saying it is Comcast, Comcast saying it is Apple or a problem with the Azbilliard forum. :mad: Last night Comcast tells me that Azbilliard forum is incompatible with Comcast high-speed internet. WTF, I can not believe that this can be true; does any one out here have Comcast high-speed internet? I can get into any other website; I get into numerous machine and welding forums. But Azbilliard forums; it just will not com up? :angry:

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had Comcast....

and was on here all the time. Probably too often, LOL.
:grin-square:

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
What happens when you ping/tracert the site? I assume Comcast had you try that at some point..

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
that's impossible.

I can view AZB with comcast and have been able to for a year.

The only way comcast would say that (unless they were just trying to get rid of you) is perhaps there was a trunk line down between the AZB host server and your ISP (but HIGHLY doubtful).

What browser are you using? You said you have an apple computer, I'm pretty sure this will be a browser issue.

try pinging azbilliards.com through a command line (unless you are using OSX, in which case I have no idea how to ping)

davidwoj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have comcast at home and using a Dell and IBM laptops do not have any problems with the forum.

Could this be a browser compatibility/setting issue?

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I'm using an iMac 10.4.11 at home with Safari & Comcast and have had no problems. Maybe you need an Adobe Flash update or something?

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
Doubt it's a general browser incompatibility, as I am stuck with Safari on my iPhone and it works just fine. Either a security issue, corrupt login cookie, or something a tracert would identify. Try clearing your cache and cookies (however you do that on a mac).

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
T411 said:
I got Comcast High-speed internet two weeks ago and I not once been able to access Azbilliard forums. :confused: At first I thought it was my Apple computer that I just purchased just before I got Comcast. For the last two weeks I have been going between Comcast and Apple going through all the trouble-shooting trees; Apple saying it is Comcast, Comcast saying it is Apple or a problem with the Azbilliard forum. :mad: Last night Comcast tells me that Azbilliard forum is incompatible with Comcast high-speed internet. WTF, I can not believe that this can be true; does any one out here have Comcast high-speed internet? I can get into any other website; I get into numerous machine and welding forums. But Azbilliard forums; it just will not com up? :angry:

That is BS. No website is incompatible with an ISP. Data is data.

You're running a Mac, as am I, so try this:
Open up a Finder window, go to "Applications" (under the "Places" heading on the left), then "Utilities", and "Network Utility". Choose the "Traceroute" function, and plug in "azbilliards.com" and start it up.

Once it's done (and it may not fully complete, we'll see), copy the results and save them to a text file. As it seems you're having trouble reaching AZB from home, email yourself that text file where you can get it later (like from work - I assume that's where you're posting from), and then post the results.

Do the same with "forums.azbilliards.com" as well - they're separate boxes on different networks (note the vastly different IP addresses below).

Then once that's done, check out this article:
http://forums.macnn.com/92/networking/121363/whats-mac-equivalent-hosts-file-windows/

and plug in a couple of entries on your machine using these domains and IP addresses:

azbilliards.com: 140.99.28.10
forums.azbilliards.com: 69.16.142.150

and then see if you can't hit the sites with a browser.

If that works, compare the IP addresses in your traceroutes with the IP addresses listed just above. If they're different, then it's likely the cause is faulty info in the DNS servers you're using. They're telling your computer to look in the wrong place for the sites you're after. Plugging in the info above as described in the article I linked above basically short-circuits this problem.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Traceroute

T411 said:

Open up Terminal on your mac.

At the prompt, type:

traceroute 148.99.28.10

The results will tell you where the bottleneck or failure is between your computer and the AZ.

If you want to post the results here that could tell us a lot as to where the problem lies.

T411

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got Comcast High-speed internet two weeks ago and I not once been able to access Az

Bastian said:
What happens when you ping/tracert the site? I assume Comcast had you try that at some point..

When I did a ping the site; no errors at all. It checked good. When I did a tracert there were problems; I copied and pasted results to an e mail and sent it to Comcast, that?s when they told me that Azbilliard forums is incompatible???? I think they are being lazy?

Steve Ellis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
T411 said:

Is Comcast high-speed a different entity than regular Comcast. I have comcast and there is no problem.
I think it must be the computer. All the service provider does is send data from point a to point b. If it was really screwed up I guess it could be dropping packets which could cause problems.

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
T411 said:
When I did a ping the site; no errors at all. It checked good. When I did a tracert there were problems; I copied and pasted results to an e mail and sent it to Comcast, that?s when they told me that Azbilliard forums is incompatible???? I think they are being lazy?

paste your tracert response here, maybe we can figure it out.

i'm guessing they were just being lazy

Steve Ellis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
T411 said:
How can AZBilliards possibly be incompatible? Did they explain how? If it works over the net for other providers, it absolutely must be the provider or the computer that is supposed to render the output on the screen.
They're incompetents trying to blow smoke up you azz.

bagofpaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comcast is notorious for horrible customer service.. if you are having problems getting help over the phone try posting your complaint to comcastmustdie.com.

The Comcast executives have people reading this blog regularly and actually do something to address the issue once you post your complaint there.

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
I have Comcast as my internet provider and I use a Apple Macintosh and it works awesome. Safari browser - all is good, It really can't be a comcast thing if you are getting internet service and AZ is the only thing you don't get. Strange

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
Sounds like some phone rep that just didn't want to help you so the made up some story... it makes no sense.