If you're "that good"........

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
You may be the best. But..... "in your area". It's been said on AZ many times.
Very true.
I play in tournaments I have no chance of winning. I love it. No problem.
But...... do the so called "top guys" step out with their game?
Not much. Only a select few.
Why? No heart I say.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be the best. But..... "in your area". It's been said on AZ many times.
Very true.
I play in tournaments I have no chance of winning. I love it. No problem.
But...... do the so called "top guys" step out with their game?
Not much. Only a select few.
Why? No heart I say.
There may be numerous reasons, it's not always that simple. The time and financial commitments to travel to out of town / out of state tournaments is one that some players are just not willing to make. Add to that the fact that their families or their careers may take priority.

They may be realistic enough as far as knowing their abilities to accept that the risk / reward is just not worth it, so they'll choose to stay in their "comfort zone" of dominating their local tournaments.

For those very talented players that choose not to make that next step to playing more tournaments against better quality players, it certainly will limit the development of their game, and they will never know how good they could have possibly become. Bottom line is that for many of those players, the payout in pool is just not worth it enough to sacrifice most other aspects of their life to take that plunge.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A434F3A3-14B6-4039-91A0-5754A43EC132.jpeg

——————

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
There may be numerous reasons, it's not always that simple. The time and financial commitments to travel to out of town / out of state tournaments is one that some players are just not willing to make. Add to that the fact that their families or their careers may take priority.

They may be realistic enough as far as knowing their abilities to accept that the risk / reward is just not worth it, so they'll choose to stay in their "comfort zone" of dominating their local tournaments.

For those very talented players that choose not to make that next step to playing more tournaments against better quality players, it certainly will limit the development of their game, and they will never know how good they could have possibly become. Bottom line is that for many of those players, the payout in pool is just not worth it enough to sacrifice most other aspects of their life to take that plunge.
But the "big mouths"...... Crying about giving spots etc They don't mind taking them..
They never "step up" relative to their skill.

VERY true!!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
good is only relative to the person you are playing.

but if you think people dont have heart why dont you step up and show your heart and start playing better players for an amount that hurts if you lose.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

but if you think people dont have heart why dont you step up and show your heart and start playing better players for an amount that hurts if you lose.

A fine question.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always get a kick out of the guys who said they could have gone pro....then don't run 3 balls. I always just play along and try to them to bet. They never do.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
I always get a kick out of the guys who said they could have gone pro....then don't run 3 balls. I always just play along and try to them to bet. They never do.

I like the ones that say,"Back when I was your age", or, " I used to play like so and so". NO YOU ****IN DIDN'T! I f you ever played to a certain level, then you would at least have knowledge of the game, but you got nothing.
We have several like the OP mentioned in my area as well. They bark like it's the end of the world, but let one person show up, who might give them a run for their money , and they gone. Only interested in using that A++++++++++++++++ game they talk about, to win Mon night tournaments, and beat fish out of $20 giving the 6 out, talking about how they outran the nutz.
People often ask who was better between today's players and yesteryear...? The old guys. They had nuts, big ones, and they hauled em all over the country, willing to bet it all, that theirs were bigger than yours.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I like the ones that say,"Back when I was your age", or, " I used to play like so and so".

I can't count how many times I've heard this one: "I paid my way through college playing pool".

Yeah......College for the Vision Impaired

Maniac (but they had 20/20 vision).

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

You misread my post and tried to take it in another direction.
I was speaking mainly about tournaments.
I enter tournaments against much better players.
The top guys in those local tournaments (for the most part) don't step out of their comfort zone.
I applaud the ones that do.
For example: even though I'm not a fan of his style, Mike Wong stepped up and played in the U.S. Open! Great to see.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

Sorry missed this earlier.
Well put.