HSS bit selections

VernQ

Registered
I have wanted to use HSS lathe bits and grind my own. (thanks for great info at this site) What size square bits do you guys use most 1/4,3/16,5/16 or 3/8. They usually are sold in packs of 5 or so at a time. Thanks FreddyQ

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> The size of the tool usually depends on what machine you're using them on,and whether or not you're using a quick-change toolpost.

Most of the mini-lathes are based on using 5/16 blanks.

I think the Hightower uses 1/4 as standard.

All that is null and void with a QC toolpost,as the cutting height is adjustable.

I recommend getting blanks in several sizes,preferably a name brand,and the higher the cobalt content,the better.

Don't let them get so hot they turn blue,and keep the grinding wheel fresh. Tommy D.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have wanted to use HSS lathe bits and grind my own. (thanks for great info at this site) What size square bits do you guys use most 1/4,3/16,5/16 or 3/8. They usually are sold in packs of 5 or so at a time. Thanks FreddyQ

All of the above. Usually 3/8 though or what ever I pick up. I was at a garage sale not long ago and got maybe a 100 or more of various sizes, $4.00 for everything. It is funny, husbands never tell their wives what they pay for stuff. I also got a set of 8 ince DMT diamond sharpening blocks (4) for $20.00. When I got home I looked them up and they retail for $280.00. I have a small area set up just for grinding by the way, it has to be convenient. A bench grinder goes with a lathe, you can't really work without one. You have to be able to make your own bits, there are too many things you do that take just the perfect bit shape that can't be bought.

Last edited:

VernQ

Registered
I have a 1239 Smithy with QC. Good score on you garage sale bits. They can be expensive, even on Ebay sometimes. To many tools is not a bad thing I suppose if you use them. FreddyQ