Mislieading Ebay sale of Adams Cue...

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cus...088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4614f13630

Seems there is no mention unless I missed it - of this Adams that was antiqued and with the signature taken down on the forearm. I asked the seller and he confirmed it.

What do you guys think of this? I am glad I spotted it, but many wouldn't and bid on the cue hoping its the real thing out there. I don't know this person, but I think his good talent is not being used in the right direction if this is the case.... :)

Last edited:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Still up, @ $226 reserve not met. Anybody that mistakes this for a Balabushka...well...:D

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
Asked the guy why he is so unclear in the listing saying this is vintage when it is not.... This is his reply:

"Oh I don't know...I guess it's just more fun this way. I like to see what kind of guesses it gets. I did some work on an old vintage Bushka style Meucci a few years ago (replaced the bumper, wrap, refinish etc.) and sold it to a collector friend of mine in Philadelphia. He took it to the pool hall for opinions. More than one thought it was a Szamboti!..."

boatbeach

Banned
Asked the guy why he is so unclear in the listing saying this is vintage when it is not.... This is his reply:

"Oh I don't know...I guess it's just more fun this way. I like to see what kind of guesses it gets. I did some work on an old vintage Bushka style Meucci a few years ago (replaced the bumper, wrap, refinish etc.) and sold it to a collector friend of mine in Philadelphia. He took it to the pool hall for opinions. More than one thought it was a Szamboti!..."

i pretty sure this is funny :)

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cus...088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4614f13630

Seems there is no mention unless I missed it - of this Adams that was antiqued and with the signature taken down on the forearm. I asked the seller and he confirmed it.

What do you guys think of this? I am glad I spotted it, but many wouldn't and bid on the cue hoping its the real thing out there. I don't know this person, but I think his good talent is not being used in the right direction if this is the case.... :)

:eek:

If you really want to see misleading on Ebay just check out the Meucci cues from zuzubab1

The seller was honest. He could of said he got the cue at an estate sale and took it to the local
pool room where all the experts hang out...and they all said the cue was real and worth $20,000.

Last edited:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Listing was ended by seller. Before he ended it, he put up this "explanation"...

"On Oct-27-13 at 11:55:18 PDT, seller added the following information:

I've had a number of questions about the maker of this cue, so I thought I would clarify. This was a project I did here in my shop. I took an old Adam cue (not sure of the year) and took it down to bare wood. Next I added the MOP patterns. After the MOP inserts were sanded flush and polished, I finished it off with a hand rubbed finish and fresh Irish linen wrap. Tommy."

So I guess he wasn't out to screw anybody after all.
:rolleyes:

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
It does look great. I sited the very nice talent of the guy and that he is a good man in my other post. I also wrote him on Ebay the same. He is an honorable man and I wish him the very best.

tecunningham

Tommy Cunningham
Balabushka Style Cue on eBay

I just wanted to let everyone know that I never intended to deceive anyone. I thought the cue came out great, and I just wanted to see what kind response it got with a somewhat generic listing. In the words of Forrest Gump "I'm not a smart man...". I've relisted the cue with a full description. Sorry for any confusion it caused. Also, I never listed it with a BIN of $2,200. That had to be a different cue. Tommy.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I just wanted to let everyone know that I never intended to deceive anyone. I thought the cue came out great, and I just wanted to see what kind response it got with a somewhat generic listing. In the words of Forrest Gump "I'm not a smart man...". I've relisted the cue with a full description. Sorry for any confusion it caused. Also, I never listed it with a BIN of $2,200. That had to be a different cue. Tommy.

No, you did. Nobody, would intentionally omit the maker of the cue. Then you mentioned the word "classic" as in old, valuable, etc. If you listed "Adams" one could easily google it, and find out where it was made, and by whom, and get a general idea of the value of the cue.. or even turn to the Blue Book of Cues, but without a name, no such research is possible by folks without a strong knowledge of cues. I also see, that a guy that "works' on cues has no idea when this particular cue was made, not even the decade.. hmmmm

So, maybe you hook a fish, and get a nice price. I mean, if you were proud of your work, you would have said it from the get go, but you decided to be "generic" to see what interest you got, which is "code" to see how high it might get bid up too.

Kinda slimy way of doing business... but you already knew that, right ?

Last edited:

tecunningham

Tommy Cunningham
Cue on eBay

I don't sell on eBay as a business. I just enjoy working on cues. I buy, sell and trade cues and other billiards memorabilia and hopefully break even. Sometimes I customize older cues and resell them to players who like the older traditional designs. If my intent was to deceive, why would I respond to questions at all? Tommy.