Can anyone identify this (carom?) cue?

3cfan

Registered
Can anyone identify this cue? I'm thinking it is a carom cue. Short 56", light 16 oz. It has matching numbers stamped on the butt and shaft (#458). The butt is painted black, not sure if that is original or applied later. The joint is brass. Note Palmer/Viking like plastic for the butt cap. It doesn't appear to be particularly high quality, but odd that it has the numbers stamped on the butt/shaft. Maker? Age?
image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an Adam made cue. 100% sure. Brunswick branded 90% for sure.

They stamped the shafts to keep them matched to the butt. They did this for Brunswick.

Generally Brunswick and/or Schmelke would send the materials over to Adam for finishing. Then Adam would stamp the matching shafts before shipping so they didn't get mixed up.

It was very likely originally branded and sold by Brunswick. Made around 1969 I think, but I would have to look for my notes to say for sure.

And it is most likely intended as a pool cue, not a carom cue.

Last edited:

3cfan

Registered
Chopdoc, that makes sense as it seems like I have seen the same type of numbered stamp on other old Brunswick branded cues. Thanks for your input!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc, that makes sense as it seems like I have seen the same type of numbered stamp on other old Brunswick branded cues. Thanks for your input!

That is exactly correct. These were likely produced as part of the same business arrangement or contract as the others you have seen.

3cfan

Registered
I measured the diameter and pitch, you are correct 9/16-24. This will likely end up on eBay, would make a nice conversion, I think.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be fun to play around with it as a break cue, or maybe somebody interested in the old Brunswick/Schmelke/Adam cues will want it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You could go to all the 3-cushion tournaments....and you probably won't see a metal joint.