Breaking With A Black Ultra-Skin Soft Tip

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep hearing people say you can't break with a soft tip without it mushrooming all to hell, but here is proof that isn't always the case.

This is my black Ultra-skin soft tip on one of my playing shafts.

The shaft is a couple years old and it is the same tip that I had put on when the shaft was made for me.

I have never touched the sides of the tip, as far as shaping or doing anything. I have burnished it, but never taken it down with anything.

I have broken hundreds and hundreds of times with this tip and shot thousands and thousands of balls with it.

As you can see, it isn't all mushroomed out, even though I've pounded the hell out of it.

The white you see on the tip is wax. I just waxed the shaft and then I thought to take a picture to put on here before I put it back in the case.

My Becue shafts have the same tips and they look as good as this one, or better, and I've beaten the hell out of them, too.

I've bought all my tips from Tom Hay.

Attachments

• image-2019-06-09 (1).jpg
    image-2019-06-09 (1).jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 330

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with you 100% As a matter of fact I often feel that the soft tip is the best tip to use for the break because it gives the most control over the cue ball - where that cue ball sits after the break is second only to making a ball on the break, esp,=. if the cue ball is not sitting in a hole! I could never control the cue ball with a phenolic break tip, and I think that if one has good break stroke mechanics (timing of cue delivery to the cue ball) you really do not lose any speed or power off the break. Power breaks are more about speed of the cue stick and timing of the cue stick delivery to the cue ball than anything else.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 old farts talkin about how a soft tip won't deform from breaking. Not from breaking 1p from your damn walkers, it wont!

Send it to me. I will mangle that mofo in 1 day.

GA RON TEAD

:sorry::rotflmao::thud:

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
hmmm

I always seem to notice playing tips mushrooming a little here and there but would't that be from using a lot of english??? It would stand to reason that hitting the edges of the tip would cause it to deform? Maybe? Idk.

I do agree though, Ultra Skin tips are great. I'm a huge fan of them. They are a quality tip that is very affordable. I have been playing with them consistently for the last couple of years.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always seem to notice playing tips mushrooming a little here and there but would't that be from using a lot of english??? It would stand to reason that hitting the edges of the tip would cause it to deform? Maybe? Idk.

I do agree though, Ultra Skin tips are great. I'm a huge fan of them. They are a quality tip that is very affordable. I have been playing with them consistently for the last couple of years.
I don't think there is any discernable difference in mushrooming between center ball and (non-miscueing) englishes.

I think it is just the tip squishing from force of ball strike.

Sadly, I am a masher who likes softer tips, so I have too much experience in the matter.