What balls to keep on the table?

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for some advice on what balls are best left on the table while clearing a table on route to the break ball. What balls would be strategic to leave to maneuver around the rack? I read somewhere that a ball left near the long rail about one to two diamonds up from the corner pocket is one example. What balls would you not clear right away?
If someone could post with a diagram would be great.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of 14.1 videos available on the internet or for sale from accustats. Watch some pro level 14.1 and it will do you more good than a diagram.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I am looking for some advice on what balls are best left on the table while clearing a table on route to the break ball. What balls would be strategic to leave to maneuver around the rack? I read somewhere that a ball left near the long rail about one to two diamonds up from the corner pocket is one example. What balls would you not clear right away?

Pat Fleming of Accustats Video Productions did a video series on Straight Pool, in one of which (would have to check which) he explains how to assess the exact areas he refers to as, if memory serves, "break ball zones", e.g. by holding a cue across the foot corner of the Brunswick middle pocket metal played and the center of the stack top ball closest to the same middle pocket etc. - all very useful when there's no line drawn around the rack (which I feel is a must for Straight Pool, as the necessity to check with the rack in one's hand or rules of thumb unnecessarily slows down play). It's a very concise and useful explanation of what can be used, as Pat is one of those Straight Pool players who have no qualms about using anything that'll will work, regardless of "principles" or how cute it may look (needless to say, there are more or less preferable break balls given the choice, but he goes through just about the whole list of what may come up).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read somewhere that a ball left near the long rail about one to two diamonds up from the corner pocket is one example.

A ball on the long rail is useful if it is in line with a ball in the opposite side pocket on the side the BS is located. Otherwise, if you're in the latter stages of the rack, that ball should be long gone. Earlier in the rack a ball located low on the long rail may be useful in a number of ways.
You can't really say that balls in certain locations should be left all the time because each rack is different.
Shot selection is largely dictated by quickly and safely dealing with any problem areas that exist.
Once problem areas are eliminated and all the balls are open then things become much clearer.
In general, balls that are about a foot off the rail and go in multiple pockets are most valuable. They provide myriad options and large margins of error.
Something that a lot of people have trouble with is working backwards. Doing so is key to good patterns. Always work backwards from the BS.
Key balls can be located in many different positions. Whats important is obtaining the correct angle on them for an easy transition to the BS. That's why probably the ball before the key ball is most important. It should be in a position where achieving the correct angle on the key ball is very easy to obtain.
This is just scratching the surface but may be helpful for inexperienced 14.1 players.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

Seeing now I may have misinterpreted your question: you're referring to object balls one might strategically leave? Although I could think of multiple purposes to do this, there are equally as many reasons not to do it: with the exception of an obvious break ball forming a triangle with two other object balls that will lead to a stop shot end pattern, there's very little I would recommend leaving if it makes the layout play more difficult than necessary under any circumstances whatsoever (#1 priority: never miss on an open table).

So, a ball along the rail may haunt you in the end unless there's a fool-proof pattern to get to it at a perfect flat (= easy to control) angle, meaning one would have to leave other balls along with it, which may or may not be possible.

The same is true of those "textbook" key balls in front of the middle pockets (= only good if not blocking the path for other balls) or center table (= useless if you're short like me and have to lean/reach over them shooting balls in the rack area).

The inverse may be true of those "stragglers" in the head half of the table that "one is supposed to get rid off early" - what if they form an easy to get on end pattern, or a ball is hanging in a corner pocket (= an all-purpose insurance ball from just about anywhere, and a possible break ball in case one messes up the layout)?

I'm with experts like Jim Rempe more in that there are usually balls or groups of balls that are potential run-enders which one should get rid off early, regardless of what other purpose they might serve if one got everything right from beginning to end (= in an ideal world?!). One of the first he'd point out would be a ball in front of a middle pocket that blocks the path for or physical access to other balls - i.e., those balls that are miraculously being left in textbook end pattern diagrams in books (half the time or more, one has to, at the very least, do something at least slightly more difficult to "play around" them than if one had just gotten rid of them early on).

But to answer your question specifically, apart from from what I said earlier about triangle-shaped end patterns, two equally fine break balls placed next to each other to either or one side or even the back of the stack (= multiple choice end patterns!), especially ones not blocking each other's path to either foot corner pocket, are high-percentage to leave until the end of the rack, even if one doesn't have a key-to-the-key (K2, the third-to-last ball of the rack) to get to them - the kind of scenario any 9-Ball player is used to handling with aplomb every other game, nothing wrong with those.

Anything else: don't die with the break ball, the key ball, any principle whatsoever that you may have had in mind - if it all plays out perfectly for you all the time, fine, but if it makes the layout play any less easily and automatically, throw all "principled" thinking overboard, you'll end up being a better Straight Pool player, I can promise you that.

I have a rule I teach all my students: if you feel like you're constantly threading the needle, you're not playing well - you're playing well when you feel like you have options, might as well change your mind and do something else.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

That's a great thread that I'm hoping you're going to expand - the possibilities are infinite, as are Straight Pool layouts, scanning the table and recognizing patterns so important…