Where's the best pool scene in Canada?

snarzberry

Registered
Hi guys, I'm moving to Canada in November and as I work on the net I can pretty much pick any city I like to live in. A big factor will be where has the best pool scene/pool halls.

If you can give me some info it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

Edson

Registered
Where I live here in Penticton BC, there's quite a bit of action here in this small town of 30-40K people.

The pool league is active again this season and these people are NOT to be messed around with as they are pro at running you down in a game of 8-ball.

Edson

Registered
Hi guys, I'm moving to Canada in November and as I work on the net I can pretty much pick any city I like to live in. A big factor will be where has the best pool scene/pool halls.

Another thing about my town, it isn't normal like most of Canada. In the winter it's pretty mild but we have been getting quite a bit of snow during winter.

When summer hits, it gets as hot as Cali with 35 degrees with no humidity and very little to no smog. We do get alot of smoke from forest fires....

As for the pool action, people here are friendly. When they get drunk they are even MORE friendlier. When they play you while they are drunk, watch out, they don't even need to try and they will destroy you in a friendly game of 8-ball.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hands down, Toronto, they have many Canadian champs playing there. I would like my chances playing in Penticton BC and I can't shoot.

seether

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edmonton

Edmonton has lots of action.
Friday nights at the whistlestop lounge theres a tournament $5.00to enter.I heard that there are also tournaments at the highrun club,h20 club on white avenue.We also have leagues and some realy hot pool here.

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hands down, Toronto, they have many Canadian champs playing there. I would like my chances playing in Penticton BC and I can't shoot.

Hello Jason,

Looking for a particular pool table mechanic out of the Toronto area. Used to be or still is a very good friend of Maureen Seto

Let me know if you can help me with a name? or better yet how to contact?

Many thanks ...

SteveC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Answer For billy

Hello Jason,

Looking for a particular pool table mechanic out of the Toronto area. Used to be or still is a very good friend of Maureen Seto

Let me know if you can help me with a name? or better yet how to contact?

Many thanks ...

It is Jari Kuri (may not be spelt right) you are thinking of. Anyway, I don't think he lives in Canada any longer. I heard he moved to New Zealand.

Winnipeg Kid

Registered
The'Peg

Here in the 'Peg we may not have a great tournament scene, but we have alot of solid players who are willing to gamble. Bourbon St. is the place for action and there have been alot of recent matches for anywere from $100-$1000. If you are looking for action Come On Down!!

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is Jari Kuri (may not be spelt right) you are thinking of. Anyway, I don't think he lives in Canada any longer. I heard he moved to New Zealand.

Thanks much Steve. That's exactly who it is

Appreciate the response ...

terminal_288

@terminal_288
Silver Member
wow can't believe some one beat me to suggesting winnipeg... Well I would have to say Wpg does have a good scene. The prevously mentioned bourbon st is open 24/7 and not to shabby of a place, and winnipegs centeral location and proxcimity to the U.S. border makes it easy to do a bit of traveling to play pool.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry wrong country,try the States!:wink:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I don't know what the pool action is like in Penticton but if he says its good, then its good.
As far as climate goes, you won't find a better one in all of of Canada than in the Okanagan Valley.

Beautiful scenery, right in the mountains. Access to all winter sports, skiing, quading, snowmobiling.

Summer sports, fishing, fly fishing, para sailing in the mountains. You name it, its there for you to do. Easy access to all towns up and down the valley.

The summer climate is the hottest in Canada with an extended fall. Its the only place in Canada that has a desert that is connected to the Sonoran desert in the USA.

The average winter temp is the warmest in Canada.

If you're brave and would like to experience what minus 50 with the wind chill is like, move to any other part of Canada.

Do a Google search for the Okanagan Valley and see for yourself.

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
wow can't believe some one beat me to suggesting winnipeg... Well I would have to say Wpg does have a good scene. The prevously mentioned bourbon st is open 24/7 and not to shabby of a place, and winnipegs centeral location and proxcimity to the U.S. border makes it easy to do a bit of traveling to play pool.

Not meaning to knock Winterpeg, but didn't Jason and Erik move to Toronto for their better pool ?

Dave <--- not suprised that nobody mentioned Saskatoon

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Not meaning to knock Winterpeg, but didn't Jason and Erik move to Toronto for their better pool ?

Saskatoon? isn't that a little clearing in the Boreal forest caused by moose grazing?

Winnipeg Kid

Registered

Both Jason and Erik became Canadian Junior champions while they still resided in Winnipeg also I believe Erik won his Canadian Open title while he still resided in the 'Peg. Don't most top players move around from city to city to improve their games?? I'm not sure who DaveK is or where you are from but if you are ever passing through the 'Peg let me know and I will find you a game for sure!!

DaveK

Silver Member
Both Jason and Erik became Canadian Junior champions while they still resided in Winnipeg also I believe Erik won his Canadian Open title while he still resided in the 'Peg. Don't most top players move around from city to city to improve their games?? I'm not sure who DaveK is or where you are from but if you are ever passing through the 'Peg let me know and I will find you a game for sure!!

I'm just a pool player from Saskatoon, nobody of note.

I was simply pointing out that a couple of the best players from Winnipeg moved to Toronto for better pool. Given that the OP was asking about the best city for pool, I thought that might be relevant information.

As far as me passing through and you finding me a game, I appreciate the offer. If you ever find yourself in my town let me know and I will return the favour. Please note that I do not gamble, just so you know.

Dave

DaveK

Silver Member
Saskatoon? isn't that a little clearing in the Boreal forest caused by moose grazing?

Na, yer thinking of PA :) Saskatoon is in the Aspen parkland, just like Edmonton ... and almost Winterpeg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspen_parkland said:
The aspen parkland biome runs in a thin band no wider than 500 km through the Prairie Provinces, although it gets broader to the west, especially in Alberta. This is a hilly landscape with many small lakes and ponds. The cities of Edmonton and Saskatoon are the largest cities completely in this biome while Winnipeg is bordered by tallgrass prairie to the west and south and the aspen parkland to the northeast,....

Dave