Pool Cue Tip quality.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know everyone has a different opinion on which tips are best, is there any credible survey comparing the best tips out there, or which do you AZers prefer. I play a lot and want one of the best on my cue, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know everyone has a different opinion on which tips are best, is there any credible survey comparing the best tips out there, or which do you AZers prefer. I play a lot and want one of the best on my cue, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
First off, i would suggest using the "Search" function. The reason i say that is that tips have been COVERED here on AZ. Everyone is gonna give you a different opinion. You just have to try some in your price range/budget. I personally like Ultraskins. For the $(10/$27.50 here on AZ) you can't beat them. Great tips. I'm using the new Fire and its awesome.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Ultra-skin black soft tips on my cues. I just ordered another batch and hope they get here this week.

I've had Kamuis, Mooris, G2s, Triangles, Le Pros, Elk Masters, milk duds, and I don't know how many other kinds, but I've settled on Ultra-skin tips by Tom Hay.

They play better than the "high dollar" tips, IMO, and they cost about 1/10 of what you would pay for one.

I just got 10 tips for $28, with shipping. You aren't going to beat that anywhere for tips that play as good as Tom's do.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Ultra-skin black soft tips on my cues. I just ordered another batch and hope they get here this week.

I've had Kamuis, Mooris, G2s, Triangles, Le Pros, Elk Masters, milk duds, and I don't know how many other kinds, but I've settled on Ultra-skin tips by Tom Hay.

They play better than the "high dollar" tips, IMO, and they cost about 1/10 of what you would pay for one.

I just got 10 tips for $28, with shipping. You aren't going to beat that anywhere for tips that play as good as Tom's do.
Agree 100%. The med. Fire i'm using feels a lot like the older Moori's. Helluva tip.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I love lepro
I had to change mine it was too small just last night
Put on a triangle and that thing sucks

Gotta go back to lepro asap

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love lepro

Problem with LePros is you get a box and you're lucky if 10-15 are worth using. And they don't last very long. I used them yrs ago but no more.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
I've been playing with Thoroughbreds and Tiger Snipers the most lately but in regards to installs I get good feedback from those above, Ultra Skins, Milk duds and Kamui's

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The one on my cue lasted half a yr with a ton of use and punishment got real hard and i got a great feel with it, now i gotta get that back

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love lepro

Years ago I loved Le Pros and used them all the time, but recently they seem to not be of the same quality as they used to be.

I gave up on them.

Muddog

Registered
The one on my cue lasted half a yr with a ton of use and punishment got real hard and i got a great feel with it, now i gotta get that back

Lately started pressing my le pros before install seem to hit the sweet spot much sooner and maybe luck of the draw but haven’t had any fail that were pressed first
I’ve had a few good ones last a year of daily use

Last edited:

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
non-layered tips
+ cheap (~$1 each on average)
+ can hold chalk and play amazing
+ easy to maintain
- quality inconsistencies are very common

brands: Triangle, LePro, Triumph, Buffalo (med-hard options), Elkmaster (soft)

layered tips
+ less inconsistencies (new tip feels/hits very similar to previous)
+ can last longer/wear down slower
- some tend to glaze over more easily
- higher price point ($10-20 each on average)
- new tip is taller (tip contact patch is farther away from ferrule)

my favorite brands/types: Ultraskin medium (both black/ivory), Zan medium, Predator Victory medium, Kamui medium (tan), Tiger Sniper, Tiger Everest, Kamui soft & med (black/clear blk), Tiger Emerald

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My experience is limited to Tiger Tips my experience is they are quality, my old complaint is their Old Hard Layered Tips" are no longer available. I down to four of the old Tips. When they are gone, I will try something NEW.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's another endorsement for Ultraskins. I've settled on the Ivory mediums after trying the soft Ivory and medium black. As noted above, you can order a mix from Tom Hay who I also highly recommend. (but you can no longer order hay from Tom Mix)

Last edited:

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Say where do I go to buy the 10 tips for $28? I like the Ultr skins really well and would like to get a few.