How to Smash Your Balls Properly

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
This is a follow-up to my previous thread about bar rules in my region of Europe. In one of the posts I mentioned I like to smash the balls full speed on certain occasions, so here I'd like to point out actual advantages to doing so. Note that while you don't need to play by those exact rules I described, this thread still applies almost entirely to no call shot 8ball where slop counts.

While I'm not one to boast, I still consider my skill in judging where on the table exactly I need to deliver a high power shot fairly proficient. It all depends on reading the situation, then practicing and observing as many results as you can. That way you begin to choose your warp speed shots instinctively.

First of all, let's point out in which exact circumstances you can benefit from shooting hard (aside from the break shot :cool: ).
1. When you don't have a high-percentage shot available, so you shoot a low-percentage one hard in order for the ball to fall somewhere else
2. When there's a cluster of your balls readily available for smashing, in order to get at least one ball to drop
3. If you're not trying to actively pocket anything, but want to move around as many balls as possible to rearrange their positions in a way that benefits you more than the opponent

So, let's start off properly:

Case #1
You're probably wondering why not play safe. If you can, do it by all means. But if there's no good safety available, or by playing safe you allow the opponent to lock you up even worse in the next shot, you might want to consider playing offensively and shooting hard instead. If your chances of making a ball at pocket speed are already low, they won't get much lower if you use high speed. However, by doing that, you'll make your object ball hit several rails and potentially other balls of yours. Going by law of probability, at least one of them might drop and you continue shooting from a better position.

There are two major risks when playing this way:
1. pocketing your opponent's balls
2. pocketing the 8 ball
If either of those are already close to some pockets, angle your shot so neither the object ball nor the cue ball go anywhere near them, at least in their first pass around the table when they have lots of kinetic energy. If the 8 is hanging on a pocket, best not to use a high speed shot in the first place.

Instead, aim your shot so your object ball either goes directly towards a pocket, or towards another ball of your group. If you miss the pocket, the ball will still retain high speed. And if you opt to hit another ball of yours instead, you have at least two of them making passes around the table looking for a pocket.

Case #2
When there's a cluster of your balls right in front of you and rules allow slop, it's highly tempting to blast away at them. And with a good reason. I made several crucial balls that way only 24 hours ago. When you decide to hit a cluster, it's hard for the opponent to predict that and prepare meaningful defense. They may block your obvious shots, but blasted clusters tend to go anywhere. Still, if you have one or more safe, high-percentage shots at your disposal, take care of them first before moving on to the cluster. That way you won't mess up positions of balls that already go straight into pockets at normal speed by the chaos that ensues.

Once it's time to hit the cluster, you'll want to do it in a way that you give as much kinetic energy as possible to as many balls of your group as you can. Also, do your best to disperse them in the general direction of the nearest pocket, as often one will drop there. The others usually find separate positions around the table if they don't drop, so you can go at them one by one in the following shots. Beware of the same dangers of pocketing the 8 ball or your opponent's balls. Controlling a smashed cluster is harder that only one object ball, so it's best not to perform this shot at all if the 8 or several opponent's balls are already hanging.

Case #3
This last case is somewhat different. What you basically want to do is hit as many balls as possible (starting with a legal shot of course), and not just balls of your own group but your opponent's ones as well, and sometimes even the 8. The logic behind this shot is that when the general positions of the opponent's balls are far superior to yours, and they're likely to clean up the table while you remain tied up, you need to try to mess everything up and create at least a few problem balls for the opponent, while getting better positions for some of your balls at the same time. Dropping one or more of the opponent's balls accidentally is not a major issue here, and sometimes is even desirable, just do your best not to pocket your opponent's last ball or the 8. Accidents can always happen, but if you angle your shot right you greatly minimize the risk. And if your ball is the one that drops in the process, well, thank lady luck and keep shooting.

I could write much more on this topic, this is just a short overview with some advice for players unfamiliar with using this type of shots. Hope you find it an entertaining read, and useful as well.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
There are times in for instance 9 or 10 ball where Your opponent has you on a foul and there is an easy cluster to hide behind, where it can be beneficial to break them up, even if you give Your opponent ball in hand and an open table, rather than almost certainly losing on 3 fouls. You'd be strategically fouling. There is however some calculation involved to try to put the balls difficult but far apart.

There are also times where there is absolutely no high percentage safety shots to shoot and no caroms or combinations. These situations come up very rarely, maybe twice a year at the most for someone who Plays every day. I honestly can't remember the last time I personally experienced this. In those cases, I sometimes shoot the balls hard and hope for Luck. However, I never shoot at a break speed as this is a recipe for disaster.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or this...

Attachments

• 0AA6EE4C-7966-4DAD-AA7A-53455D305567.jpg
    0AA6EE4C-7966-4DAD-AA7A-53455D305567.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 615

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
There are times in for instance 9 or 10 ball where Your opponent has you on a foul and there is an easy cluster to hide behind, where it can be beneficial to break them up, even if you give Your opponent ball in hand and an open table, rather than almost certainly losing on 3 fouls. You'd be strategically fouling. There is however some calculation involved to try to put the balls difficult but far apart.

There are also times where there is absolutely no high percentage safety shots to shoot and no caroms or combinations. These situations come up very rarely, maybe twice a year at the most for someone who Plays every day. I honestly can't remember the last time I personally experienced this. In those cases, I sometimes shoot the balls hard and hope for Luck. However, I never shoot at a break speed as this is a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, I forgot to point out that these tactics work much better when there's no ball in hand, but behind-the-line or headspot instead. Also, it doesn't literally have to be break shot speed, as you don't want to send something flying off the table. you adjust the speed depending on the specific situations. You just want the balls to move around a lot.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The proper stance at the table is critical. When done properly you can fire as if you have a bump stock.:eek:
Been there often. The RDS is a OkC institution. MANY a OU grad has made the pilgrimage from Norman to this spot. Never seen poolballs being chucked tho. I feel slighted. ;)

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Shouldn't this be in the instruction section? It's basically an aiming system where you don't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Been there often. The RDS is a OkC institution. MANY a OU grad has made the pilgrimage from Norman to this spot. Never seen poolballs being chucked tho. I feel slighted. ;)

Go down there and chuck sum, Gar!!! Have someone video it and then you can watch yourself doing it forever! :dance:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Being a bar box banger myself, I understand all this perfectly.

Many times my opponents balls were all ducks if I missed.

I'd hit balls so hard I would rearrange the table so he no longer had ducks.

I rearrange the table on every shot so it's impossible for my opponent to make a plan.

People say I am lucky and I agree. Took me over forty years to practice my luck.

If you do something for over forty years, hopefully you are good at something.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why has no one posted a link to a video of a kid in ill-fitting pants with no belt going down a railing on a skateboard badly?:shocked2:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
This is a follow-up to my previous thread about bar rules in my region of Europe. In one of the posts I mentioned I like to smash the balls full speed on certain occasions, so here I'd like to point out actual advantages to doing so. Note that while you don't need to play by those exact rules I described, this thread still applies almost entirely to no call shot 8ball where slop counts.

While I'm not one to boast, I still consider my skill in judging where on the table exactly I need to deliver a high power shot fairly proficient. It all depends on reading the situation, then practicing and observing as many results as you can. That way you begin to choose your warp speed shots instinctively.

First of all, let's point out in which exact circumstances you can benefit from shooting hard (aside from the break shot :cool: ).
1. When you don't have a high-percentage shot available, so you shoot a low-percentage one hard in order for the ball to fall somewhere else
2. When there's a cluster of your balls readily available for smashing, in order to get at least one ball to drop
3. If you're not trying to actively pocket anything, but want to move around as many balls as possible to rearrange their positions in a way that benefits you more than the opponent

So, let's start off properly:

Case #1
You're probably wondering why not play safe. If you can, do it by all means. But if there's no good safety available, or by playing safe you allow the opponent to lock you up even worse in the next shot, you might want to consider playing offensively and shooting hard instead. If your chances of making a ball at pocket speed are already low, they won't get much lower if you use high speed. However, by doing that, you'll make your object ball hit several rails and potentially other balls of yours. Going by law of probability, at least one of them might drop and you continue shooting from a better position.

There are two major risks when playing this way:
1. pocketing your opponent's balls
2. pocketing the 8 ball
If either of those are already close to some pockets, angle your shot so neither the object ball nor the cue ball go anywhere near them, at least in their first pass around the table when they have lots of kinetic energy. If the 8 is hanging on a pocket, best not to use a high speed shot in the first place.

Instead, aim your shot so your object ball either goes directly towards a pocket, or towards another ball of your group. If you miss the pocket, the ball will still retain high speed. And if you opt to hit another ball of yours instead, you have at least two of them making passes around the table looking for a pocket.

Case #2
When there's a cluster of your balls right in front of you and rules allow slop, it's highly tempting to blast away at them. And with a good reason. I made several crucial balls that way only 24 hours ago. When you decide to hit a cluster, it's hard for the opponent to predict that and prepare meaningful defense. They may block your obvious shots, but blasted clusters tend to go anywhere. Still, if you have one or more safe, high-percentage shots at your disposal, take care of them first before moving on to the cluster. That way you won't mess up positions of balls that already go straight into pockets at normal speed by the chaos that ensues.

Once it's time to hit the cluster, you'll want to do it in a way that you give as much kinetic energy as possible to as many balls of your group as you can. Also, do your best to disperse them in the general direction of the nearest pocket, as often one will drop there. The others usually find separate positions around the table if they don't drop, so you can go at them one by one in the following shots. Beware of the same dangers of pocketing the 8 ball or your opponent's balls. Controlling a smashed cluster is harder that only one object ball, so it's best not to perform this shot at all if the 8 or several opponent's balls are already hanging.

Case #3
This last case is somewhat different. What you basically want to do is hit as many balls as possible (starting with a legal shot of course), and not just balls of your own group but your opponent's ones as well, and sometimes even the 8. The logic behind this shot is that when the general positions of the opponent's balls are far superior to yours, and they're likely to clean up the table while you remain tied up, you need to try to mess everything up and create at least a few problem balls for the opponent, while getting better positions for some of your balls at the same time. Dropping one or more of the opponent's balls accidentally is not a major issue here, and sometimes is even desirable, just do your best not to pocket your opponent's last ball or the 8. Accidents can always happen, but if you angle your shot right you greatly minimize the risk. And if your ball is the one that drops in the process, well, thank lady luck and keep shooting.

I could write much more on this topic, this is just a short overview with some advice for players unfamiliar with using this type of shots. Hope you find it an entertaining read, and useful as well.

Ok, I've read what you wrote. Here are my notes:

The first thing you do when you have one or more clusters is to analyse them. Is there a ball in the cluster that is possible to Pocket somewhere, if so, will pocketing it give you Access to pocketing more balls? if that is the case, play position on that one ball. And work from there. This analysis should happen when you come to the table the first time. All problems should be adressed as early as possible.

The second part of the analysis is to look for combinations or caroms that lead straight to a Pocket, or has a possibility of being trown in, using spin or throw. If you don't have a "free" ball in the cluster, but have a dead combination, you shoot that, but in a mindful way, with Power and spin that will disperse the cluster and keep the cueball under Control.

If none of the above are true, look for a ball that has a Direct tangent leading into the cluster. Preferably you should have another ball to play, even if the cue ball gets stuck in the cluster at the impact point.

If you don't have an obvious breakout ball either, clusters are Perfect for safety play. Play a safety by knocking one or more balls out of the cluster, leaving the cueball stuck in it. If you stick an opponent to a ball, you'll give him trouble even if he has balls to shoot at, but you'll also greatly reduce his options and increase the chance of successfully snookering him. Even kicking gets more difficult if you have to shoot over a ball. You can't Control the spin, and shooting hard will not work, because you are elevating the cue, causing the ball to jump.

Lets say the opponents balls are all open but you have maybe one ball left, with no shot at a bank or Direct Pocket. You don't blast that one ball as hard as you can. What you do is look for an opponents ball that you can tie up with Your ball. If possible, Select a ball that is far away from the others or otherwise difficult to break out. If possible, Block a Pocket. If the player is really good, this may not make much of a difference, but it gives the opponent a chance to make a mistake. Most People are not as good as you think. Even players that look like the run out everything, often stumble when they have a ball tied up this way. If they're good, and you did well to tie their ball up, they'll snooker you and make you kick at the ball you used to tie up their ball. If you're good at kicking, this is the chance to turn it all around. Kick softly and leave them on the ball, or otherwise difficult. If you're Lucky you may win the game.

Shooting as hard as you can will not win you many games. You'll likely get murdered by anyone using the strategies above. Even a Complete idiot can freeze you to a cluster. Usually that can win or at least tip the game in their favour.

I wrote this for the benefit of anyone actually looking for advice on this forum. Be aware that 8 ball is a runout game. Good players will run out on you and you won't get very many chances at all. You'll do well to avoid letting them even see a ball. The best plan is to look the table over, and if you can run out, do so. If not, and especially if you have clusters, look for a lockup safe, preferably one that will either help you breakout a cluster, or position a ball near the cluster in order to break it out later. Be aware that overly passive play is actually more difficult to pull off than being offensive, as very passive play usually means making a single mistake will cost you dearly, while running out usually will let you continue even if you're marginally out of position (8 ball being a game where you have a Choice of which ball to shoot). The smart way to run out, is to play position into an area where you have a choice of balls to shoot, rather than playing for a single ball. Be careful of ending up straight in, and ending up on a rail. Play for angles, keep away from the rails. Generic, I know, but it helps to think about these Things.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I've read what you wrote. Here are my notes:

The first thing you do when you have one or more clusters is to analyse them. Is there a ball in the cluster that is possible to Pocket somewhere, if so, will pocketing it give you Access to pocketing more balls? if that is the case, play position on that one ball. And work from there. This analysis should happen when you come to the table the first time. All problems should be adressed as early as possible.

The second part of the analysis is to look for combinations or caroms that lead straight to a Pocket, or has a possibility of being trown in, using spin or throw. If you don't have a "free" ball in the cluster, but have a dead combination, you shoot that, but in a mindful way, with Power and spin that will disperse the cluster and keep the cueball under Control.

If none of the above are true, look for a ball that has a Direct tangent leading into the cluster. Preferably you should have another ball to play, even if the cue ball gets stuck in the cluster at the impact point.

If you don't have an obvious breakout ball either, clusters are Perfect for safety play. Play a safety by knocking one or more balls out of the cluster, leaving the cueball stuck in it. If you stick an opponent to a ball, you'll give him trouble even if he has balls to shoot at, but you'll also greatly reduce his options and increase the chance of successfully snookering him. Even kicking gets more difficult if you have to shoot over a ball. You can't Control the spin, and shooting hard will not work, because you are elevating the cue, causing the ball to jump.

Lets say the opponents balls are all open but you have maybe one ball left, with no shot at a bank or Direct Pocket. You don't blast that one ball as hard as you can. What you do is look for an opponents ball that you can tie up with Your ball. If possible, Select a ball that is far away from the others or otherwise difficult to break out. If possible, Block a Pocket. If the player is really good, this may not make much of a difference, but it gives the opponent a chance to make a mistake. Most People are not as good as you think. Even players that look like the run out everything, often stumble when they have a ball tied up this way. If they're good, and you did well to tie their ball up, they'll snooker you and make you kick at the ball you used to tie up their ball. If you're good at kicking, this is the chance to turn it all around. Kick softly and leave them on the ball, or otherwise difficult. If you're Lucky you may win the game.

Shooting as hard as you can will not win you many games. You'll likely get murdered by anyone using the strategies above. Even a Complete idiot can freeze you to a cluster. Usually that can win or at least tip the game in their favour.

I wrote this for the benefit of anyone actually looking for advice on this forum. Be aware that 8 ball is a runout game. Good players will run out on you and you won't get very many chances at all. You'll do well to avoid letting them even see a ball. The best plan is to look the table over, and if you can run out, do so. If not, and especially if you have clusters, look for a lockup safe, preferably one that will either help you breakout a cluster, or position a ball near the cluster in order to break it out later. Be aware that overly passive play is actually more difficult to pull off than being offensive, as very passive play usually means making a single mistake will cost you dearly, while running out usually will let you continue even if you're marginally out of position (8 ball being a game where you have a Choice of which ball to shoot). The smart way to run out, is to play position into an area where you have a choice of balls to shoot, rather than playing for a single ball. Be careful of ending up straight in, and ending up on a rail. Play for angles, keep away from the rails. Generic, I know, but it helps to think about these Things.

Don't bother, it won't change a thing, believe me.